All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:32 am

Post subject: Dwarven 2hd axe warriors (SBG/WoTR)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:02 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Just wondering, does anyone use them a lot...I mean as a main stable for your dwarven army. I find in LoTR I can use KG for their function as well as in WoTR. Grant it the 2hd warriors are cheaper than KG, just find them to be less functional. All mine have either been left on sprue or used in converting them into Rangers (use a curved brass rod as a bow strapped to their back, over their greenstuff cloak).

Just wondering what the Dwarven Generals have to say about it.

-Scar :puppy:

Post subject: Re: Dwarven 2hd axe warriors (SBG/WoTR)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:10 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If you're thinking they don't have a normal hand weapon, they do. So they can decide whether to use the 2H or not before each fight. Since they get the 2H for free, might as well take it for a few.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I know, its just that for the benefit of having a 2hd (+1wounding) I can get better Defense with a KG and if I opted to use a 1hd I'm losing the potential of not having a shield-dwarf. I should force myself to take more than I do and really throw them into the game to see how they really fair. As it is I only take the odd few to round out points, they just don't last as long as a shield-dwarf or a KG.

Again, just wondering what others do with them. Is there a tactic for them or a reason stat line wise I'm missing to using them. Point cost, I see. Complete functionality I'm not.

and push comes to shove I can always convert them to rangers and eventually have enough to field and all Ranger army.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:26 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Lately I too have been using them in SBG to round off points.

However before I bought a second box of warriors I used them as about approximately 1/5 of my force. Not really a tactic, but against high defence armies which don't get spears they can be game deciding. This will usually only be the case with either Army of the Dead or another Dwarf army. They are VERY good against army of the dead.

I usually use them as the guardians for my banner. If I was to use them in proper numbers I would stick them on the flanks and hope to trap enemies on the flanks of the shield wall.
I have found that against S3 D6 enemies like Minastirith they do very well, (especially if you are able to outnumber/trap enemies)

So I would only really use them in large numbers if I knew my opponent was using Dwarves, Army of the Dead or mostly S3 D6 warriors.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:50 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

2-handed warriors are useful when you can outnumber your opponents and have normal hand weapons in the same combat as two-handed ones. It's quite hard to do that with dwarves because they are expensive so total outnumbering against most evil armies is rare; and they are slow, so local outnumbering is tricky. From my experience two-handers are more useful to orcs who are more probable to actually be able to use their two-handed weapon in combat.

(I only play friendly games with themed opponents, for example dwarves against goblins or orcs, so my view may not apply to competitive settings where you can face any army with yours.)

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In WOTR they are great but of very limited use in SBG. It is a far better option to give dwarves shields as well to give them D7 against the ton of S4 Evil armies you get now AND the S4 Bodyguard Khazad can deal with everything. 5+ to kill wraiths :) - best model in the game.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I don't like two-handed weapons much at all. The only time I take them with my Dwarves is when I'm going to be fighting either Gondor or Easterlings. In either circumstance, the Dwarf doesn't benefit from a shield. In addition, using a two-handed weapon doubles his chance of wounding, and because of his higher Fight he doesn't suffer too much from the -1 penalty.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

hmmm, I'll have to look at them in WoTR and see how they fair. If they do well, then they have a job...if not it converting time!! :twisted: They'll be turned into Dwarven Rangers w/2hd axes and brass-rod-bows ready to fight.

also, the 2hd'ers I have now are strict bodyguard detail for my banner bearers. (good to see great minds think a-like).'

Thank y'all for the input. I'm seeing more and more the KG being the 2hd'ers of choice.

Thanks again - Scar :puppy:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Update:
Thank you for keying me onto their worth in WoTR. Their really great on the OFFENSE. I almost always play against FV4 opponents so the -1 to my FV wasn't noticeable on the attack BUT; when I'm on the defense (against my normal FV4 friend), with the opponents +1 dice to wound per company in base-to-base contact, it's dismal. I can see using them against FV3 opponents a lot, but against FV4 I was forced to use a "defensively offensive" approach - constantly working them into No Mans Land and try for a 1st strike attack or use them strictly as a counterattack unit to hit the opponent already in a fight (mostly in the flank).

So, I think I'm going to paint up 4c worth of 2hd'rs and make the rest into Rangers. When I'm done I'll have enough Rangers for an all Ranger army (LoTR/WoTR) and enough 2hd'rs to fill in the point gap of a LoTR game and enough to be a thorn in the side of opponent in WoTR.