All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:20 am

Post subject: gorgoth horde w/ nazgul
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:04 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well today I was in a tourny and was doing really well untill i can up against this list: gorgoth horde (18c with khamul in it), and mordors black legion (im pretty sure this is the one.. lots of trolls that get banners and reroll 1s in cc), and some wargs and gothmog anyway....
he smashed his first 2 opponnents, with khamul in there you just can kill them without killing him (oh, and we limit the mastery of magic so u dont get lots of nazgul)
maelstrom and king of the hill... heroic move and sit on the hill, its so big you wont get it off
battle for the pass, objectives. he lined the gorgoth horde across the table and pushed forward... that was it

and last was shield wall, field of swords against me. he line up the gorgoth horde and moved forward. now i used durburz might to heroic move the troll right in front of it (thinking to block it) but he use wings of terror and heroic moved straight forward (C moving around the troll).... using the might pt cost me the game as i could duel + ES twice with durburz (forgot to ambush buhrdur on turn 2, after that he had no chance of reaching it (and there was a ton of stuff behind the gorgoth horde to block him anyway.. so no dueling the nazgul with him)) and the dragon had his arms full tacking a troll chief and 3 trolls.... so i had no way of killing khamul, thus no real chance of beating him.
the gorgoth horde is actually cheap, what i mean is that they carry shields, 2h weapons, and bows. and you only pay for their base cost and not the weapons (15pts per C in the horde with the weapons, normally its 20pts with 1 of the weapons). so for 18c you save 90pts if you count all the weapons as 5pts/C, but really you save 270pts for all the weapons. you only pay 75pts for the battlehost, so you save so much already and thats with out all the amazing special rules (unlimited captains!! he called a duel every fight). this is seriously OP, and thats with out adding in nazgul like khamul, KoU, betrayer

if you just took several nazgul in it, along with gothmog, you cant really beat it cause you cant kill all the nazgul fast enough (whenever you try, gothmog does it back to you)

the one thing i can think of that could beat this is a mumak, just land of it....
 Post subject: Re: gorgoth horde w/ nazgul
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Another example of why SBG is better than WotR...

Seriously, there are far too many cases like this in WotR :-X . GW really needs to sort it out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think the horde is a bit of an exceptional case, IMO. It combines a little too well with the 'training wheels' Nazgul.

This specific thing jumped out to a few people I've spoken to when they first read Battlehosts, since it was pretty obvious how it could to be used. What is probably most problematic about it is... it does not seem that fun to play!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:12 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

hahah i want to have a game of a 1000pts army vs the gorgoth horde with khamul, dwimmerlak and gothmog. battle for the pass scenario, no ambushers

it would just be teh gorgoth horde lined across the board grinding everything down like deforestation
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:15 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

hahah i want to have a game of a 1000pts army vs the gorgoth horde with khamul, dwimmerlak and gothmog. battle for the pass scenario, no ambushers

it would just be teh gorgoth horde lined across the board grinding everything down like deforestation

(at my tourny a guy did this and won with this alone in battle for the pass)

edit: i went to change it and it posted it again?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:30 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm thinking more and more that My Carn Dum army probably should be taking back a Mumak (wooly Mumak?) as spoils from that games vs the Hadarim that I batreped here :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Xelee wrote:
I'm thinking more and more that My Carn Dum army probably should be taking back a Mumak (wooly Mumak?) as spoils from that games vs the Hadarim that I batreped here :P

Woolly Mumak? :rofl: