All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 8:32 am

Post subject: Re: 1500pts MM, again
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
when i got home i did the math and i think if gandalf also called a duel as well as aragon they could of killed the dragon (if i charged who ever won that fight would win the game cause of all the points we would of given (dragon and aragon and gandalf are expensive, so whichever side gets wiped out loses...))

What's that got to do with the High Ground? Unless you didn't have any other formations within 3" of the chosen terrain?

Quote:
oh, and glorfindel was annoying that game, he heroic fight from wargs into gobs, then dueling druzhag... (which i found out is illegal, duels have to be called at teh start of the phase...)

Yup, you're right, but too late ;)

Quote:
but the dragon and durburz who were out of the shades range called duels,

I hope Durburz's formation was out of Shade's range, not just Durburz? Because Shade affects the whole formation.

Quote:
OMG the dragon is sooo good, cause he is flying is easy to avoid dangerous stuff, and most ppl dont have really elite stuff to take him down, i reckon everyone should have a really elite unit. an army made up of average stuff just cant deal with the dragon

I agree, unless you're playing a Multi-wraith army the Dragon is worth taking. Every army should have at least one big scarry thing in there than can punch holes, that's what makes the difference between two equal forces usually.

Still I reckon 2 Stone Giants might be better than a Dragon, but that's debatable ;)

Well done on the tourney.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:32 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

BlackMist wrote:
when i got home i did the math and i think if gandalf also called a duel as well as aragon they could of killed the dragon (if i charged who ever won that fight would win the game cause of all the points we would of given (dragon and aragon and gandalf are expensive, so whichever side gets wiped out loses...))

What's that got to do with the High Ground? Unless you didn't have any other formations within 3" of the chosen terrain?

well we both had infantry formations on the high ground, so in the event of both ppl having equal units on it they use victory points based on the cost of the units you killed

BlackMist wrote:
but the dragon and durburz who were out of the shades range called duels,

I hope Durburz's formation was out of Shade's range, not just Durburz? Because Shade affects the whole formation.

ya, there was 4c uruks in a long line, so the shade was a one end the the dragon and durburz's formation on the other end, Durburz's formation was completely out of range

i totally see y you would get 2 stone giants, it just depends on wether you want 2 slow but powerful guys or 1 really mobile and really powerful guy... (although 2 giants attacking 1 formation w/ heroic fight would be awesome!). I havent tried 2 giants but in everygame the dragon's magic proves sooooo good combined with his ability to get rear flanks alot of the time (and having might), so for now id stay w/ the dragon.

oh and i TOTALLY agree the you should always have something big and scary in your army (although gondor w/ a ton heroes is really dangerous), the armies i was against had nothing even close (except for the first guy, gandalf + aragon combo in the GC, it was pretty dangerous, but nothing like the dragon). in the whole tourny, only the last guy managed to wound the dragon (3 wounds) cause he put all his focus into it (in all our games the dragon has been his demise)

the tourny was a bit disappointing cause I was never really against anyone challenging (if i remembered epic journey in the first game i would have won)

im gonna keep this list for a while, although blackshields will be in when i can, and ill switch a formation of wargs for spiders, I want to try out the shade more. and at the club there is a max magic mastery of 5, so the nazgul will go out and ill fill the points with another hero (capt and more Companies or gothmog)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Interesting to see how much you recommend the Dragon; have you tried a Balrog?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

no, but at this rate i never will. its the D8 and ability to fly that does it for me. str3 cant really hurt the dragon (need 6/4) and cause he is so maneuverable, on turn 1 he can start ripping things apart. sure F10 and str 10 is nice, but F8 and str 8 is just as good. you need the speed so you can get your wopping 500pt monster into the perfect place... the balrog is just to slow so you cant get the most out of him.
also, teh dragon is almost an auto-win in sieze the prize, I just heroic move and take 2 of the objectives and cause he's a monster you cant really beat him in a fight, so keeps what he has and takes every elses

but ya, pretty much dragon > balrog
if i am going to have 1/3 of my army in 1 model, it better be able to go where i need it
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Shadowswarm wrote:
no, but at this rate i never will. its the D8 and ability to fly that does it for me. str3 cant really hurt the dragon (need 6/4) and cause he is so maneuverable, on turn 1 he can start ripping things apart. sure F10 and str 10 is nice, but F8 and str 8 is just as good. you need the speed so you can get your wopping 500pt monster into the perfect place... the balrog is just to slow so you cant get the most out of him.
also, teh dragon is almost an auto-win in sieze the prize, I just heroic move and take 2 of the objectives and cause he's a monster you cant really beat him in a fight, so keeps what he has and takes every elses

but ya, pretty much dragon > balrog
if i am going to have 1/3 of my army in 1 model, it better be able to go where i need it

I wouldn't say the balrog is slow, it's only 2"s slower than the dragon. D7 I would say is the weak point and not having the charge bonus isn't too good either or flying. They seriously need to boost the Balrog...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:55 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

your forgetting flying and at the double.
at the double: dragon is 4" ahead
flying: the dragon can now stay behind my lines protected from magic and then leap over and smash everything. even better is that you can fly over their units so flanks are so easy. you also charge further and dish out more attacks (6 from charging as apposed to 1, and most likely your still wounding on 3s)

on paper it might not seem like a huge difference, but when you play it out, it makes a world of difference