All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:25 pm

Post subject: Regarding using Trolls and other monsters
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi been a wargamer for long long time but just got into WOTR at out club so only played a couple of practice games to learn the mechanism. No magic and limited characters.

The situation arose where a troll was charged by a Minas Tirith Knights company supported by 2 other companies. I under stand I strike first but failed to kill anyone :(

On the cavalrys turn does he count support and the charge bonus. I realise only fights 1 company. I our example my troll was killed off very easily.
He got 4 hits so 2 rolls on the hard to kill table, looking at that anything but a 1 and he either takes 1, 2 wounds or killed outright with a resilliance of 2.

Seemed soooo easy to kill so we had a go against a unit of Minas Tirith warriors and again found that having passed test for terror the one company got 3 hits so rolled once on the hard to kill table throwing a 3 so 2 woulds and the troll was offed

Were we playing this correct as it seemed that Trolls (and therfore other resilliance 2 monsters) are easy to kill and very expensive !!!

If not please explain and if so what tactics to use for those types as I see them getting shot to pieces easily

Thanks

Andrew
 Post subject: Re: Regarding using Trolls and other monsters
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah, they can be vulnerable but on the flip side can cause a lot of hurt. It's best to use them as a reserve and out of line of fire and when the time is right, let them through your lines or attack the enemies flank.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

APCollyer, the advice above is right - also, the stat that counts the most in evaluating how durable a unit is, is the defense characteristic.

Many Monsters actually have a low defense. If you are a cave troll with defense 6, then str 4 troops hit you on 5s and str 3 troops hit you on 6s. So a normal company of infantry has good chance to get a roll on their table. Against defense 6, bows at short range also wound on 6s and get to hit you with multiple companies. If you think about it in terms of those numbers, you need to not expose the lower defense mosters to too many hits!

A monster with defense 8 vs str3 or defense 9 vs str 4 is quite a lot safer. The real risk then is more likely to be spells, warmachines and crossbows. THey are still very random beasts though. I had a game where one Ent survived four rounds of repeated charges by multiple enemy trolls, and their thrown rocks. The other Ent died in a single turn to two companies of goblins with bows.

All that stated though - the procedure is: the resilience stat is how many hits you need to get a roll on the table. So three hits get you one roll: correct. However, two wounds on on that table do not kill the troll. If the troll is not killed from the table (by reaching a '6' result) then the wounds hang around to next turn and you add them to whatever you roll on the table, next time. So if you had rolled a 3 again, that would be added to the two wounds, giving a 5. All the accumulated wounds would then be added to the next roll (they even accumulate over multiple rolls in the same combat).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks

I think we were playing it wrong upto a point and with no experianced players we were relying on reading the book!!!

I now realised from your explination you need to score a 6 on the die rolls and each wound adds to this chance until the monster is slain if I undersatnd correctly. I assume that this roll can be affected by might points being expended I presume?

Thanks for the responses, nice to know there is a community to help us newbies and answer some of the obvious answers :)

Thanks

Andrew
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Might can be used on the table. It is not a bad use of it either. A hero in a unit of archers (since they can concentrate fire and get onto the table) is very effective vs a monster.

The 'hard to kill' table can be a little counter-intuitive.

It works like this: You get a number of hits on the monster in a round of combat (based on the resilience).
Then, each hit is rolled in order. Hit one is resolved, then hit two, etc. So if there is a wound from hit one, it modifies hit two, and so on. On the Extremely hard to kill table, a roll of six does not instnat kill, but produces an extra hit. So you give it the wounds from the six, then add these wounds to the free hit from the six etc. So even two average rolls in a turn could plausibly give you the kill on the hard to kill table.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

In sbg monsters are less difficult to play. In sbg you have a troll that is supported by warriors. But in Wotr you have warriors supported byt trolls. Trolls are good for attacking at the flank while a large orc formation is attacking on the front. The bgenefit for that is aslo that you are not attacking the command company so he can´t use any might on the hard to kill table.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Andrew, check PM's mate. I think we used to play together, way back when.