All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 4:22 pm

Post subject: SBG 700 pts. Baradur
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've been pondering over a competitive list for mordor and this is what I came up with. I'm happy with editing it as this is just a rough draft and I just want to know what to build the list up on as I don't have all the models yet. I would rather not use Morranon Orcs as I don't find them very fun to use and I don't have that many any way (I know this is supposed to be competitive buuuut...) I can take morranons if I have but I'm kinda wanting to keep this "Gorgaroth Horde"ish style.

The Nazgul:
Khamul the Easterling/The Dark Marshal on Fell Beast-170 points

Barad-dur:
Kardush the Firecaller-60 points
Orc Drummer-40 points

71 Mordor orcs-30 with shield, 30 with spear, 11 with two-handed weapons-426 points

Total: 696 points, 3 might, 74 models, 0 shots (I know, that's why I have the drummer).

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: SBG 700 pts. Baradur
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

yes you will be fast with the drum, but its still best to have some archers. if they have a unit of archers WAY back in their army then it will be a long time till you reach them. take 11 archers in the army, but use them like combat troops untill you need the range. its like a little bit of insurance (much needed if they have cavalry archers)

your also low on much needed might...
here is a flaw in your army: you have a nazgul that sits above the rest of your army, it wont be that hard to shoot down and you dont have any archers to stop it...

against some armies this could work quite well as you overwhelm them in combat, but against an army with good combat and range then you could really hurt there.

thats about all i can say right now, its almost midnight and i need sleep :P
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The list is not solid enough you only have orcs with some hero's.

The ringwraith on fell beast is always fun but I don't think that khamul and the marshal are usefull here. I think the shadow lord is much better cause otherwise you will be shot before you are in range.

You have no fighting units or hero's. If you are fighting a list with 2 or more fight hero's you are dead. While his troops hold off your orcs you have nothing to stop his hero's. The ringwraith can transfix him but that means less will to fight in combat. So or you do nothing with spells or your fell beast is useless because he can't get in combat.

You really need some fighting troops if you don't like morannon orcs, add some black guard or mordor uruks or black numenorians. But now your army has nothing that can fight.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree with hero of gondor; you army doesn't have enough strengths.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok, this is still just a draft after all. I was thinking of swapping kardush for a shaman, swapping khamul for the shadowlord on horse and then with the spare points, swap an orc for Gorbag maybe. Would warg riders be worth considering? 13" move would be very useful for grabbing objectives.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If you don't have bows you must have mobility, and warg riders with the drummer provide that. You also need armour, and as much as I agree with you about Morannons, you do need a D6 front line, so maybe just take the few you have. I think the Shaman is a better idea than Kardush.
As for the Shadowlord...<rant>...I'm so disappointed he exists. He's nowhere in the literature or movies. His sole purpose is to counter elf bows, so rather than deal with it strategically people take him as a magic pill. I think the other Nazgul have more character and are more thematic.</rant>
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
If you don't have bows you must have mobility, and warg riders with the drummer provide that. You also need armour, and as much as I agree with you about Morannons, you do need a D6 front line, so maybe just take the few you have. I think the Shaman is a better idea than Kardush.
As for the Shadowlord...<rant>...I'm so disappointed he exists. He's nowhere in the literature or movies. His sole purpose is to counter elf bows, so rather than deal with it strategically people take him as a magic pill. I think the other Nazgul have more character and are more thematic.</rant>

I have to agree with you there. I'm cringing having to buy the shadowlord but he seems nearly necessary in this case. I guess I'll take some Morranons then. How many wargriders do you suggest I take?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would say 6 is a good number to take, though you could take a few more so they are more of a threat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Wargs aren't nearly as dangerous without a hero to lead them. What if you took a bog-standard wraith on fell beast (maybe boosted with some might and/or fate) and Sharku? Your numbers will suffer a bit, but you'll have a lot more punch.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
Wargs aren't nearly as dangerous without a hero to lead them. What if you took a bog-standard wraith on fell beast (maybe boosted with some might and/or fate) and Sharku? Your numbers will suffer a bit, but you'll have a lot more punch.

Wouldn't it be a bit of a waste of points using such a weak wraith and putting him on a fell beast? Just wondering. Sharku tactic could work well. I was thinking of using them as flank harrassers before my shield wall over-whelms them so maybe looking for somewhere around 10 but IDK if having one bunch leaderless would be useless...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Not if you take druzhag, then they become deadly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Noddwyr wrote:
Not if you take druzhag, then they become deadly.

That will make my army too hero-heavy. I can't really afford to take druzag atm.