All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:15 pm

Post subject: SBG 300pt Mordor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi guys.
I was just re-jigging my Mordor List, and was looking for some help...

300pts.

Mouth of Sauron - Armoured Dark Steed - 75

Orc Drummer - 40

8 Orc Swordsmen w/ shields - 48

8 Orc Spearmen - 48

8 Orc Archers - 48

3 Warg Riders - 39

Any thoughts? Where is this list weak & where is it strong.... i'm unsure on the sheer number i'm fielding... as I made a 299pt Isengard list recently which has only four fewer Uruk-Hai...
Any tips would be appreciated!
 Post subject: Re: SBG 300pt Mordor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Too little numbers. I would drop the drummer and get a few Morranon orcs to act as your main core.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

As spuds said drop the drummer, get some morranons. I would add, swap the orc archers for trackers, then drop the wargs and beef up your numbers instead.

Actually if you drop the drummer, i dont think this list can have normal orcs since its a black gate list. So maybe something like this:
MOS w. armoured horse - 75
7 morranons w. shield - 56
10 morranons w. spear - 80
5 Mordor Uruk-hai w/shield - 45
8 orc trackers - 40
296 points, 31 units

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Cheers for the help guys :)

I'll make a revised list soon, based on suggestions, although i think i'll note now that since I only do matches with friends, we tend to ignore specific lists within armies, e.g. Black Gate... White Tower etc.

EDIT: Arghh! :shock: This list is doing my head in!.... I need a drummer because my friend is gay & fields rangers... and i've included got the full 24 orcs from before included (although the archers are now trackers), and now I have 49 pts left to spend on something...tougher... problem is that NOTHING :-X is quite cheap enough to get sufficient numbers of it! Suggestions?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Right... I've finally done my list...

MoS - Armoured Dark Steed - 75

8 Orc Swordsmen w/ shields - 48
8 Orc spearmen - 48
8 Orc trackers - 40
12 Easterlings w/ shields - 96

307 (i'll let my opponent know before the battle that he has 7 extra pts to spend...)

So how does this list look? My only concern is that because my (only) opponent uses rangers (gits), the orcs will get shot up pretty quick... we don't have any terrain (so I can't hide), and I'll take about 2-3 turns to get to his shield wall/pike wall - at which time, correct me if i'm wrong, he could kill... 9 or so orcs?
(4/6 hit, multiplied by 2/6 wounding - 8/36 correct?) - 36/8 = 4.5 or so dead a turn, over 2-3 turns... a lot of dead orcs... i never was good at maths, so feel free to correct me...

EDIT: I've also made an alternate List

MoS - 60
Drummer - 40

(12) Orcs w/ shields - 72
(12) Orcs w/ Spears - 72
(12) Orc Trackers - 60

How do both of these lists look? Which is the best?
Cheers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

How many dead depends on how many bows he has got and thinking about the numbers he can have at this points level that max is probably 10, unless he plays grey company. (which is never fun to play against). he really shouldnt be killing more than 2-3 per turn.
As for terrain you can always use books as hills to make the game more interesting. SBG without terrain is much less fu, so improvise and you will have a blast.

Your first list isnt LOME legal as you would need a leader for the Easterlings, but you said that you arent concerned about. You can replace the Easterlings with mordor urukhai, just proxy them and it will be more thematic. And drop one of them so that you are under 300 points.

I like the second one better, alot better. Good numbers and you can volley. I would go with it, but drop the drum and get even more guys. 40 more points means 6 more guys, that means 42 guys in 300 points, which is going to be tough to play against.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks very much for your help :)

My friend generally does Minas Tirith/Fiefdoms... usually feifdoms I think seeing as he seems to think one single, immobile shield/pike wall is invincible - Knights, Rangers w/ Spears & Bows, Pikes... - despite the fact previous Horde Orc armies have proved it to be quite easy to defeat!

Anywho... I'm still concerned about those damn rangers... they've made TOO many of our battles a victory of inflexible wooden tactics over my constant scheming for his doom... :twisted: (can you tell I'm a bit peeved/bored with fighting a shield wall yet? :D) - so I might stick with the drummer for now & see how it goes... how many men do you think a Gondorian army can field at this level? If it's pretty even then I may well drop a drummer in favour of more men, but if not i'll go for the extra movement.

One last thing... The Mouth of Sauron (in both lists), is inter-changable for a wraith on horseback w/ 2 extra points of either M/W/F... would he be a better option (due to the terror-causing goodness?).

Oh, and about those rangers... in their profile, they include a sword, armour & bow right... well, do they lose any of that equipment (e.g. the sword or bow) when they take a spear for 1pt? And if not,then how do they use their equipment in game? Can they support with a spear in the same turn they've fired their bows?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:44 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I haven't used the MoS very much, but a Ringwraith can work wonders on destroying a shield wall provided that you protect him from combat.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've been doing some more tinkering with my lists (both of them)

List 1

Morannon Orc Captain w/ shield - 50
Orc Drummer - 40

8 Orc swordsmen w/ shields - 48
8 Orc spearmen - 48
8 Orc trackers - 40
10 Morannon Orcs w/ shields - 80

N0 of models = 34
Break Point = 8

This list I swapped the easterlings out, as well as the MoS to get a cheaper captain & drummer, now, everything should be able to move 9' a turn, I hope this will ofset the lower numbers than my second list...

List 2

Orc Captain w/ shield - 45

15 Orc swordsmen w/ shields - 90
15 Orc spearmen - 90
16 Orc Trackers - 80

N0 of models = 47
Break Point = 11

An army worthy of Mordor!... This list has more men, so hopefully... shooting will not kill enough to stop the inevitable bash at the shield wall.

Which of these revised lists is better?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You have too many trackers in that list. But it would be murdered by a full-cavalry list or something else mobile.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

well, if your opponants intent is to stay in a big immobile formation you could take a siege bow or something along the lines of that and blast him into oblivion, that will at least get his forces moving and with the lack of terrain as you specified will give him nowhere to hide. just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Kyrrial Deogar wrote:
well, if your opponants intent is to stay in a big immobile formation you could take a siege bow or something along the lines of that and blast him into oblivion, that will at least get his forces moving and with the lack of terrain as you specified will give him nowhere to hide. just a thought.

Good point, you could drop the drummer and a couple orcs with shields from the first list and get a siege bow.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I thought it was 33% (or no more than) which was allowed to be missile troops... or is it 33% of models? :)

Hmm, never thought about seige bows before... how manouverable are they? & How accurate are they?

- My friend will probably do Minas Tirith at this pts level, purely because he says Feifdoms are too expensive - meh... Minas Tirith makes things more simple I suppose...

I suppose I could drop the drummer.... but when I have small numbers (as Mordor goes anyway...) I'd prefer to be in combat pretty sharpish...

Thanks for the advise.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Baldrick wrote:
I thought it was 33% (or no more than) which was allowed to be missile troops... or is it 33% of models? :)

Hmm, never thought about seige bows before... how manouverable are they? & How accurate are they?

- My friend will probably do Minas Tirith at this pts level, purely because he says Feifdoms are too expensive - meh... Minas Tirith makes things more simple I suppose...

I suppose I could drop the drummer.... but when I have small numbers (as Mordor goes anyway...) I'd prefer to be in combat pretty sharpish...

Thanks for the advise.

1/3 of all warriors not including heroes.