All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:28 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gandlaf The Grey WIP - Mumak Diorama Impaled Rider 05/12
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'd suggest that if your experiments dont work out, leave the blood out, it might ruin the whole thing. Well perhaps not ruin it, but that might be a little detail that will 'sting' you in the eye every time you see it ;)

Anyways, here's a guide from dakka that you might experiment with.
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Quick_n_Easy_Gore
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gandlaf the Grey, when making blood I find that Tamiya Clear Red with a bit of GW Black Ink makes some very realistic blood. And the stuff is cheap too. :)
When adding the black you'll have to experiment a bit...the more black, the more 'dead' the blood looks (good for corpses and zombies)...bit more red the fresher the wound.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:02 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Thanks Bilbo. I will add that to my list for experimenting.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:32 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I use the same thing.

I think less is more. The disemboweled dragon wall is way over the top.I tried to tone it down and failed. The execution block is better. I probably should have used less.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Thanks Charlie that's really helpful and gives me an idea on how this will look. I intend to follow your quote of less is more. As you know there are a few figures that are dead and for me, there needs to be some blood here and there to help create the look.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I usually mix up a little 'blood red' and 'flesh wash' into a small amount of PVA and a drop or two of water to thin down a bit. It gives a nice result I think. I'll see if I can find a picture of my berserkers covered in blood...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:49 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Thanks Bart, I am looking forward to trying some of these methods out. With having an odd dead Orc I may even use different methods to depict different types of blood.
Having other issues at the moment though. After 3 months got my paint station up and running now the pups have gone and I find my laptop is playing up and I can't upload any photos onto it. That will be another WIP to sort that.
I'm currently working on the Mahud and have him about half done so far, so hopefully I will get the laptop issue sorted and post some updates

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I knew I still had to post something, but I already forgot, lol (the age is catching up with me...)

Here's a pic of some of my berserkers drenched in blood...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I say the diorama is coming along quite nicely, and I make a bet it will look a whole lot sweeter once it's finish.

Lord of Edoras wrote:
I can take a guess on why many people don't like it...since no one has explained in detail. While being a cool conversion idea, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The tusk of the Mumak is likely not to be sharp; like the tusk of an elephant, it probably goes through a lot of weathering and wearing in the animal's life. That being said, the chance of the tusk's small surface area hitting a rider dead on centre is very very unlikely. Since the force of the Mumak's charge is greater than the Rider of Rohan's counter charge, in terms of physics the Mumak would be pushing the Rohirrim out of its way.
The tusk is huge and the rider can easily swing around. Even IF the tusk managed to hit him, there is a greater chance of hitting the horse, and if it hit the rider, I'd imagine that it would knock the rider flying (as seen in the movie), since the tusk isn't exactly "sharp".

Well at least you gave a reason to back up your critique on why you don't like it. But if we're debating physics and what if's, first the rider and mumak are charging each other and what speeds? They're going bloody fast in a head on colission, doesn't matter if the tusk is sharp or dull. You hear stories on the news of how drivers or passengers in a car driving on the highway behind a transport truck get impaled by a pipe or a block of wood that came loose. As for the rider's maneuverability, remember he's charging with his mates, so he can't easily move out of the way. And as likely as it is for the tusk to hit anywhere else rather than the rider dead on, it can still be likely to happen when you think about thousands charging 20 mumaks head on in the film, odds are high. The diorama is going to look a lot better once it's done.

Btw his mumak looks a hell of a lot better than mine, I'm jealous. So you know what; I don't like this diorama just because of that!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:54 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Sacrilege83 wrote:
Btw his mumak looks a hell of a lot better than mine, I'm jealous. So you know what; I don't like this diorama just because of that!

I like ur theory :-D And good reason to not like it :lol:
And why does every one here has those awesome berserkers :-X I also want to have some of those :P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sacrilege83 wrote:
I say the diorama is coming along quite nicely, and I make a bet it will look a whole lot sweeter once it's finish.
Well at least you gave a reason to back up your critique on why you don't like it. But if we're debating physics and what if's, first the rider and mumak are charging each other and what speeds? They're going bloody fast in a head on colission, doesn't matter if the tusk is sharp or dull. You hear stories on the news of how drivers or passengers in a car driving on the highway behind a transport truck get impaled by a pipe or a block of wood that came loose.

I can see what you're saying, but the sharpness of the tusk is maybe that of a traffic cone's. Think of the likelihood of yourself being impaled on a traffic cone, if you ran into one at high speed. Also the Rohirrim is wearing scale armour, which makes penetration by a blunt object even more unlikely. Gandalf the Grey, I know LotR is fantasy, but IMO it is "fantasy" in the sense of its story and characters; the LotR universe's environments, beings, and physics are for the most part match those of reality. Again, I like the conversions and the paint jobs that you're doing, just not the idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well it's good to envoke some reaction, good or bad. I never thought physics would be a topic of much debate when I started this though. If like me you have seen someone impaled on some roadside furniture them you may see where I'm coming from. Anyway, I hope the finished item gets the nod of approval.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well I like it. In my line of work I unfortunately see plenty of 'blunt' impalements. The tusk is obviously much harder than the Rohan flesh, so it would push through the body given enough force, which a charging mumak has in abundance. I think it will make more sense once you add the riderless horse beneath him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think it looks great! The position of the rider is perfect, and I actually like how the rider is impaled. It's different, but not disturbingly so. Can't wait to see the Mahud!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Aah these west coast Canadians... What are you smoking over there in Vancouver Edoras? I know that's the favorite pastime. To tell you the truth I've never felt an ivory tusk before, but I'll be surprised if it has the same physical qualities as a traffic cone. Plus if you put the force of two 18 wheelers behind that cone, I'm sure people will be shocked at the fact of it impaling someone, let alone the gore and all. As for the subject of the Fantasy story being grounded by the laws and physics of reality, I totally agree that it is. I mean how do you expect a burning Denethor, that runs what seems to be like a kilometer before falling to his doom, not be physically impossible!? Lol, just kidding around with you Edoras, you have the right to your own opinion.

Getting back to the subject matter, I'm with ukfreddybear, with a riderless horse things would start to make more sense for the story of the diorama. Also I would like to see the Mahud rider as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

All things in process fellas. The Mahud is coming along very nicely and I will update once my laptop issues are sorted. The base of the diorama is almost done and 5 cavalry and most of the Haradrim. So all in all its getting there...got the rigging to sort and about three more cavalry a couple of Easterlings, the blood and a shed load of arrows, that should keep me busy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:25 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The Mahud is finished and just needs fixing in place. I'm on with commander at present. No pictures though until my laptop issue is sorted.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:33 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Really looking forward to the results :) I hope u will get them on soon!

Post subject: Re: Gandlaf The Grey WIP - Mumak Diorama Update 13/02/2011
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well the Mahud and Commander are finished and fixed in place and I've done the rigging. I'm currently working on the Haradrim to go in the Howdah. I have a couple of sets so I will be mixing them a bit.
The sprue comes with pikemen which I feel are little redundant 40 feet in the air, so I will compensate with more archers. The odd one who could pass for looking like they are about to throw their spear will fit, I believe. Also the ones who adopt a sentry pose will fit in at the rear of the Howdah.
My laptop issues aren't solved yet. I can now update but it will not recognise my camera, so no photos for the time being - maybe even a long time !!!

Post subject: Re: Gandlaf The Grey WIP - Mumak Diorama Update 13/02/2011
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:44 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

ahw :( No option in borrowing a school computer or one of work? Or a library computer?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next