All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:19 pm

Post subject: Ringwraiths Help
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Im playing a 2000pt game with a Dwarf army against my friend who is playing 8 Ringwraiths!!! How do i compete against that? What Army shall i use? i have Every Dwarf piece available plus any Magic wielding piece avialable!!! please help
 Post subject: Re: Ringwraiths Help
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:09 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hah! I had a reply typed - then my city was hit by a devastating Eathquake. Well, not much to do now but keep out of the way indoors and wait for daylight again, so:

The key issue with so many Wraiths is going to be 8 bites of the Darkness list, each round. Pall of night is going to pose serious issues and you can really do much about this.

I would suggest that you want allied Heroes: Aragorn + Boromir (with the mandatory Desperate Heroics), who can reasonably expect to kill Wraiths quickly though Epic Strike _ Epic Duels + might on top. I think that what you want is to go second (so the palantir fortune might help) and then work multiple units of Dwarves in columns and reserves screened behind. You are trying to get units able to charge postioned to do so in your own move phase. Then you can hit them with serious duelers. You will not have time to mess about, since he can easily attrit you with spells + abilities + cheap and efficient Mordor troops. Unless this is a lot of allied Wraiths? The best casters to go with this are Gandalf and Galadriel, not for their spells but for their might charging abilities.

Another route to go (but you really want to have eliminated Khamul first!) is to pair up Aragron with Gimli and try to burn through target formations with Epic Rampage, and heroic fight. I think that if you wanted a Caster to help leverage that even more, Saruman the White would be my pick.

Below these better options, any hero with decent courage, Epic Strike and possibly Epic Challenge, will be a help. I think that you want the two erious duelers first but in general will need to front foot it and target those Wraiths for elimination.

FWIW, eight Wraiths is a bit of an abuse!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Try reducing the points value of your games to 1500 pts. It helps a little in that he cannot really field more than 5 Wraiths. 8 Wraiths would, I imagine slow things down a lot with their magic and 2000 points allows too many troops in which the Wraiths can hid.

I don't think the Epic Hero route works, personally I would go with lots of troops and try have more units than he has Wraiths. Perhaps one Epic Hero with Inspiring Leader to ameliorate the effects of 'Visions of Woe'.

Off the top of my head, I came up with:

Balin
2 x 3 co of Dwarf Archer Kinband
2 x 3 co of Dwarven Rangers
3 x 4 co of Dwarven warrior kinband with shields
2 x 3 co of Khazad Guard with 2h axes
3 x Ballista

all for 1480.

If he is fielding 5 Wraiths then he probably only has 3-4 fighting units. The missile fire is to force him to attack. Use the Warrior Kinbands to protect the ballistae. He is going to have to use 'Strength through Corruption' on his own troops to have any chance of hurting you, and given that it generally will only raise his Orcs to S5 he will still need a '6' to hit your Warrior Kinband.

Hopefully the need for 'Strength through Corruption', focus 3 IIRC, and 'Pall of Night' focus 4 will see him fail a few critical rolls which will enable your Khazad Guard to get to grips.

I guess the 'plan' is that your missile fire, his casualties from 'Strength throuh Corruption' and a few well timed attacks from the Khazad Guard will whittle down his numbers and eventually you can destroy a unit or two containing those accursed Wraiths.

Remember that Dwarves are as 'hard as nails'. The other day a Warrior Kinband, fighting for Gondor, lasted four turns against Gothmog, Khamul, the Dwimmerlaik and the Betrayer in a unit of 8 companies of Orcs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:50 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, if we can have less points as an option, then I really do suggest 1000pts. That is the points total for men of quality.

I think the good heavy-hitters are pretty affordable at the 2000pt level, a case of it all evening out at the total they probably meant for us to use?