All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 12:27 pm

Post subject: My arguments for the Grey Company
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:16 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So as i have read army lists and tactical discussions about Gondor, I have noticed a lot of resistance to The Grey Company as a formation. I hope this will be enlightening read and it will be the first of many tactical articles I hope to write about Gondor's formations in War of the Ring.

To start let's take a look at the statline, an above average fight, for a man, an elven shooting value, and an above average strength. The defense is perhaps their biggest downside being only 5, but I will delve more into that later. Their courage is that of the average Gondor fighter but with Halbarad, the formation swells to (basic) elven courage. So their stats are quite simply, ok, I'll be honest they are better than average but that's about all one can say about their stats, above average, or a solid B-.

However their special rules are quite good. They move through all difficult terrain like open ground, they will never be driven back because of shooting, and they will continue to fight until the last man is slain thanks to indomitable. The Valor of Forgotten Arnor makes the Grey Company stike at the same time as cavalry! This is incredibly attractive as they will strike before the mindless rabble of other infantry and can attack cavalry with full attacks before they take the abuse. Including Legolas in your army? The Grey Company now strikes at the same time as monsters. Watch as they butcher masses of cavalry even when charged.

Finally it is worth mentioning the best 50 points one can spend if they include the Grey Company in their list, the Banner of the King.
For 50 points you increase the entire formations fight by 1. Not too shabby considering this gives them a fight equivalent to an elf, and bumps the command companies fight to 6. This is also a very easy way to provide your force with the Army Banner rule. Herioc Advance can be a game changer. All formations within 12" of the army banner with a banner in the unit, can now move first? Doesn't seem like much but it means only 1 point of might spent as opposed to several, and in War of the Ring might is precious. The best part of the Banner of the King, is that if Aragorn, the mightiest hero available to Gondor, then he gains the Inspiring Leader (Master) rule with an unlimited range. This takes our relatively low, if an Arnor formation, and average courage and swells it to an impressive 6. Terror checks and panic checks have a much higher success rate. Don't forget that Aragorn's fight value is also affected by the banner.

Enough rabbling about the banner, one other point about the Grey Company's profile I would like to make is that they are equipped with longbows. This gives them an effective 36" elven range and at shoot 3+ makes them quite deadly.

Using the Grey Company in games can be a bit more of a challenge. I usually place them in defensible terrain to make up for their mediocre defense. Even in poor defensible terrain this bumps their defense up considerably to 7 or even 8 which makes them much more formitable in close combat. You will be amazed at how much punishment the Grey Company can take while in defensible terrain, but unlike other warriors, they can dish out tons of damage, not only in shooting phase, but with their str, and fight of 4, 5 or 6, and if Aragorn's in the formation, then 8 fight value with a +2 to their hit rolls. Don't be afraid to use Aragorn's epic journey as well. Suddenly your opponent has to handle a 245pt formation with a 200 pt epic hero that just appeared in his back line, a great support to your heavy cavalry if you can have them keep up. It is expensive with precious might but can turn a game around.

I am a huge fan of the Grey Company, any questions feel free to Pm me, comments go ahead and post them. I hope you have enjoyed this first tactical article, let me know if their is an interest and i'll delve deeper into more of Gondor's formations.

For the TLDR people: Use the Grey Company, it'll change your life.
 Post subject: Re: My arguments for the Grey Company
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I don't read the OR Tactical Discussion thread (because last time I looked there's been too much opinion and too little fact based approaches), so I don't know what's been said there but looking at your post and my experience with/against it I just want to say that I agree with you and I think that they're one of the best formations to include in Gondor especially if taken with Aragorn, just for the unlimited Inspiring Leader the formation is worth it. Then striking at Cavalry speed with S4 and 1 company having +2 bonus, means that they can't be taken out by just tossing any random formation on them, opponent has to commit something bigger - while Aragorn with ES and Epic Duel protects the formation from big heroes and monster-heroes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:02 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

thelordcal, I'm not going to argue with a long, or a short, version of a post arguing that they are a "solid B-" statwise. Their abilities are useful, though some are in practice a bit redundant for the Gondor list, and there are better alternatives. I used them a bit and then went on to different things. As always, if there is a specific combo you have in mind that makes them more useful, then that is a different story.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I agree with the lord cal, the grey company are awesome, if not one of the best good formations, with aragorn and the banner, they are courage 6, fight 8, and strike before infantry, once i wiped out about 30-40 warriors of khand in one turn with these guys, (epic rampage, plus aragorn).
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I don't believe the Grey Company are quite as effective as you're making out, but I still think they're one of the best legendary formations. The reason for this is that they are pretty cheap for a legendary formation, something you didn't mention.

I did enjoy this "first tactical article" and look forward to more. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:31 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I never bother looking at fight value and courage, fight V is pointless and courage is made up for with a hero
the main things that you look at when you look at eh grey company is pathfinders masers, strike at the same time as Cav, unlimited range courage w/ aragon. After that i look at the strength and defence

Well you went over all their stats but forgot one of the most important things: points. although this isnt really an issue as I dont think they are under or overpriced. (im just saying that you NEED to look at this when judging formations)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

lordcal wrote:

"For 50 points you increase the entire formations fight by 1. Not too shabby considering this gives them a fight equivalent to an elf, and bumps the command companies fight to 6. This is also a very easy way to provide your force with the Army Banner rule. Herioc Advance can be a game changer. All formations within 12" of the army banner with a banner in the unit, can now move first? Doesn't seem like much but it means only 1 point of might spent as opposed to several, and in War of the Ring might is precious."

If only it were true. Sadly, there is no where in the rules that I can find mention of the fact that the 'Banner of the King' counts as an Army Banner. The rules seem a bit vague on Army Banners period. The ability is described along with other abilities, but the only place that I can find mention of the Army Banner is in the Fortunes/Fates section (no, not even the Royal Banner of Rohan counts as an Army Banner). Logically the ability description should have appeared in the Fortunes/Fates part of the rules.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

BoromirofIpswich wrote:
lordcal wrote:

"For 50 points you increase the entire formations fight by 1. Not too shabby considering this gives them a fight equivalent to an elf, and bumps the command companies fight to 6. This is also a very easy way to provide your force with the Army Banner rule. Herioc Advance can be a game changer. All formations within 12" of the army banner with a banner in the unit, can now move first? Doesn't seem like much but it means only 1 point of might spent as opposed to several, and in War of the Ring might is precious."

If only it were true. Sadly, there is no where in the rules that I can find mention of the fact that the 'Banner of the King' counts as an Army Banner. The rules seem a bit vague on Army Banners period. The ability is described along with other abilities, but the only place that I can find mention of the Army Banner is in the Fortunes/Fates section (no, not even the Royal Banner of Rohan counts as an Army Banner). Logically the ability description should have appeared in the Fortunes/Fates part of the rules.

I agree. The way it reads is that The Banner of the King is just a special rule giving just +1 to Fight applicable to The Grey Company and doesn't act as an Army Banner as described elsewhere. I think if it were also an Army Banner it would say so in the description.

An Army Banner needs a banner bearer to carry it (35pts) and needs Banner of the Free Peoples (50pts) then you have an Army Banner (85pts).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:35 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Really enjoyed reading your comments. I'm using the Grey Company in my Elven army in my first game tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

Regarding Army Banners, I would have thought the comments on P60, under Army Banners, would have been obvious:
"...there are few sights finer than a mighty Rohirrim army going to war beneath the Royal Standard of Rohan, or the Grey Company doing battle in the shadow of Halbarad's mighty standard."

?Unless I'm missing something...?