All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:26 am

Post subject: Rivendale models
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:53 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Rivendale lists use only LastAlliance/high elf models...correct? Galadrim warriors are only Lothlorian and cannot be called Rivendale. Yes? That is implied in photos, but not specifically stated, that I could find.

Post subject: Re: Rivendale models
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:59 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You are correct. Galadrim is not part of the Rivendell army list (or Eregion or Grey heavens for that matter). However, I think you can use them as allies if you have a hero from each force.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So the miniatures are not interchangable. Thanks. I'll assume then, that Eregion and Grey Havens also use only high elves/last alliance mini's.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You probably couldn't proxy them in a tournament, but I don't know why they couldn't be used otherwise. The base profile for elves has heavy armour as an option, so for models without armour you could use Wood Elves.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Aboslutly, I do this to.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Agreed on the "proxy" front...and I don't think I'd even consider it much of a proxy. The Last Alliance Elf models are very similar in armor as the armored Galadrhim models. In fact, my 24 LA Elves are sporting nice green and white outfits as they serve the Golden Wood and served as my Galadrhim warriors for the last few years until the new models came out.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

build what you like I dont know how anal retentive the tourney circuits are now but if you like the models. Use the Galadrim as Rivendell elves or make some conversions. The Last Alliance models are kinda sub par in comparison anyways. The Spearmen are still nice but for a 3rd age Elf Army I dont see any reason why you couldnt use the new plastics.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:08 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I am thinking tournaments (my son lets me get away with proxies). I've only done one tourney, local and lenient---but another coming up soon, regional and strict, and I am weighing my options. I was considering an Arwen led maxed out elf army: 50 models, 500 points, (mentioned by whafrog), but nearly all my elves are Galadrim. Stormcaller & Galadrim might work... I'd miss that heavy armor and Arwen's cloak---but this is for another topic. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

RangerofTheNorth wrote:
build what you like I dont know how anal retentive the tourney circuits are now but if you like the models. Use the Galadrim as Rivendell elves or make some conversions. The Last Alliance models are kinda sub par in comparison anyways. The Spearmen are still nice but for a 3rd age Elf Army I dont see any reason why you couldnt use the new plastics.

It's not anal at all, the rule is there to prevent confusion which is absalutely neccessary in a tourny enviroment, I know from personal experience howconfusing not usingthe correct models can be.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes, but if it's a blanket for the entire army, such as "All Galadrim and LA Elf models are standard High Elf Warriors" that's one thing. If you start saying "Galadrhim with swords and green cloaks are Galadrhim, those with swords and blue cloaks are High Elves, and those with spears and shields are Guards." then THAT gets messy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:18 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Beowulf03809 wrote:
Yes, but if it's a blanket for the entire army, such as "All Galadrim and LA Elf models are standard High Elf Warriors" that's one thing. If you start saying "Galadrhim with swords and green cloaks are Galadrhim, those with swords and blue cloaks are High Elves, and those with spears and shields are Guards." then THAT gets messy.

which Is what I meant...I wouldnt mix the 2, go one way or the other and stick with it. In my experience the most confusing thing for me is playing against unpainted armies, or just primered armies, especially when people dont use the standard captain models, customs are one thing and are more obvious but picking one plastic dwarf armed the same as the rest and all the same color? I miss-charged that damn captain model at least 2x in the last game I played.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

:-)

In SBG it's a more dangerous slope. In WotR at least what we do locally is your Command Company represents the Formation if you are using proxies. So I can load that up with WE Sentinels, for example, with a converted Legolas-turn-Sentinel Captain, and fill the rest of the Formation's companies with plastic WEs (I'm slowly converting some over to more Sentinel-like appearances). There's no question on what the represent.

Likewise I may intermix Bow/Spear armed WEs in my Archer Formations, but the Command Company and at least the bulk of the front-row of all other Companies are archer models, so it just looks like the melee models are providing support for them. No real chance of confusion as long as you keep you Command Company honest or obvious.

In SBG though our group has always strived for as WYSIWYG as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:54 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes, in SBG WYSIWIG is extremly important.