All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:27 pm

Post subject: Victory Points
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:45 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Folks, I am trying to fully understand the Victory points, from the 3 Scenarios:
The High Ground(HG), Seize the Prize(STP), Field of Swords(FOS).

OK, The High Ground. Victory points = 10.
Why? Why not 1? If this is the only victory condition, then 1 point will decide it.

Seize the Prize - 5 Prizes @ 5 points each. Ok I can go with that, but they could have been 1 point each, and done the same thing.

Field of Swords. Ok lots of variables here.
So, what I dont understand is, when you select this, are all three options (kill a king , flags and to the death) all in effect,
OR do you just select 1?
If 1, is it the same per side, or would each side randomly select one of the three?
My confusion is that, what if you get Battle Flags, and your opponents army doesn't contain any - then you cant score any Victory points!?

We have normally played where if you pick either Seize the prize or High ground, you automatically add in all the effects of kill a king, battle flags and to the death as well from Field of Swords. Is this wrong? It just seems the only logical reason to have the VPs as stated in HG and STP, that they would be up against the VPs from FOS

I ask as under the final winning the game it talks about adding up all victory points, which if you are only playing take the high ground, well there is not much adding...

Its all a bit vague, and really you need to know what exactly you have to try and achieve to win the game.

Thanks for any clarification

Post subject: Re: Victory Points
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

high ground: points doesnt matter, its just win or lose (GW is just stupid that way)
seize the prize: points dont matter, just who has more (and by how much for minor/major stuff)
Field of swords: you use all 3, why wouldnt you? it doesnt say otherwise.

by the book your not ment to add in field of swords into the other options, but your free to do so (how can it be "wrong" to do so? its not like your sinning by doing so.... its just a game and you can add in what ever rules you like)

the reason for points in high ground ect might be there so you could combine senarios... (but i would make prizes 2-3pts)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

About Field of Swords and the flags problem - If a player doesn't have banners, he spends the points into companies, so it's not that much of a difference, you just have to kill more companies. And of course according to the FAQ extremely Hard to Kill monsters are worth 3 points instead of 1.

Play however you like. GT played each scenario separately (you actually rolled before the game for both the scenario and the set up).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think the reason High Ground is 10 VPs (rather than just 1), and each objective for Seize the Prize is 5 VPs (rather than 1), is to balance the victory conditions if you incorporate more than one scenario into a single game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi Scott, they had to quantify so that there was some wighting of the different objectives if you follow their suggestions about combining objectives (see the boxout text).

For practical purposes, we would generally have all three conditions in effect for Kingslayer, since only very rarely would we ever see an actual banner on the field. I guess for us, the banners in the rules are 'magical banners' or something since they confer a special effect, we never take them (except for the odd legendary formation) and a modelled up unit should always have the banner - if only to mark the command coy!

In terms of events, we do not like draws and tend to use Kingslayer conditions as a backup to resolve these, even when another objective in in effect. I think that if you were running an event, always having the Kingslayer conditions counted is a good way to resolve any ties in player rankings.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:46 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks guys for all your help and replies
Cheers
Scott