All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:18 am

Post subject: Re: 'Historical accuracy' (play balance)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That's a very interesting point though. You read any of the BRs on GW's site or in their books and you see pretty well themed armies, or at least armies that don't push the power gaming aspects that some players are facing. I like to point out that our local players have never had issues with power-gamers, we prefer competitive games using themed armies, but we pull out all the stops for tourneys and such. I know I've seen others post similar lucky situations.

I wonder how much GW really sees these as a problem or is simply blind to the potential? I find that really hard to believe but, I also find it hard to believe people like oversized swords and piles of skulls on their LotR models yet GW does that. :-P I'd love to see a BR from a GW game where someone does play a horde loaded up with the top 2-3 Wraiths and how their GW opponent manages the situation using a typical Good army.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject: Re: 'Historical accuracy' (play balance)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think this is a very good point. Elsewhere I have seen some post that WHFB is not a viable tournament game, is not really intended to be such by GW, and people should stop stressing about this. WOTR does not seem to be nearly as much of an appalling mess, but I think that I would agree that it is not as balanced as the other wargames I play.

Locally, we have a lot of fun with it - and even this whole episode of 'silly season' competition prep with RAW lists has been pretty amusing (though of the four armies I know of exactly... none are from the 'Good' side lol). For this reason, I think there is something to this game and find it an enjoyable challenge for the evening. However if I went to an event with the typical obvious evil things (see earlier post in thread) then I wouldn't exactly consider the result all that meaningful! :)