All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 1:26 pm

Post subject: Rohan?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:13 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well after saying I was only really interested in collecting and painting characters I'm now thinking of building an army. I'm completely new to this but was considering building a Rohan army. Is this a good place to start? I assume that I can build an army and use it (or parts of it) for both SBG or WotR? What would be a good place to start with building a Rohan army?

Post subject: Re: Rohan?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Rohan has nice some figures, however if you're looking to do SBG I wouldn't recommend starting with them unless you really like them. There are no exceptional heroes and can be quite hard to use unless you know how to use them. In WoTR they're much more balanced.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:22 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Even though they are harder to use, I still like playing Rohan...they are fun and they look great! I'll disagree about heroes, I think Eomer, Erkenbrand and Eowyn are great for their points. Their weakness stem mainly from a lack of spear support and mostly average strength troops. You can now take Grimbold to get S4 warriors, but they still have poor D. You can rarely just charge in with them...you have to be very "skirmishy" and lure your opponent into bottlenecks, etc.

Allying with Galaghrim can help, you get spear support and higher fight. I also try to balance the army so that all my riders can shoot...the extra movement can be very helpful picking off stragglers or capitalizing on weak positions, and they are still effective on the charge. A few RRG help strengthen your lines.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:
Even though they are harder to use, I still like playing Rohan...they are fun and they look great! I'll disagree about heroes, I think Eomer, Erkenbrand and Eowyn are great for their points.

Mhm, possibly although I feel that Éomer is underpowered. I feel as if he should be equal to Aragorn and Imrahil, for he is in the book.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Whiskas wrote:
whafrog wrote:
Even though they are harder to use, I still like playing Rohan...they are fun and they look great! I'll disagree about heroes, I think Eomer, Erkenbrand and Eowyn are great for their points.

Mhm, possibly although I feel that Éomer is underpowered. I feel as if he should be equal to Aragorn and Imrahil, for he is in the book.

I thought I was the only one who knew that... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Whiskas wrote:
whafrog wrote:

That's a different issue. Is he worth the points for his profile? I'd say so. Should he be equal to the other two...I'll disagree a bit and say, not quite, eg: 3 attacks, 2 wounds...he really wasn't on their level in the book, just better than most; in any case there is the Pelennor version...just don't field Eowyn or Theoden with him.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well, he came out of the battle unscathed along with the other two. I don't have that profile for him, which edition of WD as the profile in and where can I download it from?

True that he is worth his current points, it's just that in large battles Rohan lacks any hard hitting heroes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the replies. So what should I consider instead of Rohan?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:40 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

What flavour are you looking for? If you just want something more forgiving and easier to learn to play with, Gondor or Dwarves are probably your best bet on the Good side, and Isengard on the Evil side. But nearly any army can be viable with the right alliances and some experience.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice thing about Gondor is you could always team them with Rohan if you want both. In fact, I believe there is mention in TTT (book, not film) that Eomer was familiar with Boromir as they had met / fought together in the past. Maybe it was just because Boromir passed thru Rohan on his way to the Council of Elrond, but I'm pretty sure the two met at some time.

Also, if you don't include Boromir, you could have a mix of the two forces representing the combined armies either at or after the siege of Minas Tirith, if you really are concerned about theme.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:46 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Beowulf03809 wrote:
Also, if you don't include Boromir, you could have a mix of the two forces representing the combined armies either at or after the siege of Minas Tirith, if you really are concerned about theme.

Funny, just played such a game today: the wedding caravan of Faramir (the new Knight profile) and Eowyn...1000 points of Gondor and Rohan, assaulted by a host of goblins, spiders, SQ and a wraith in a randomly rolled Ill met by moonlight scenario. I really appreciated the RoR mobile archery platform, once my initial terrible shooting luck started to normalize (for the first two turns, none of my 11 RoR rolled higher than a 3).

Last edited by whafrog on Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:58 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You can theme your army after Theoden's father who had Aragorn and the rangers of the north as allies. If you really like painting Rohan get them. Then find some allies with spears (rangers of the north, Gondor, or Galaghrim) to strengthen Rohan's battle line.

Rob
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:09 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks guys. I'm now thinking of going with Galadhrim Elves.