All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 11:28 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: GW have stopped making metal models
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

aelfwine wrote:
Also, the barbarians of Carn Dum? They are Dunlendings of some description, so just repaint your wild men of Dunland or your Dunlending armoured warriors. I would not wait for GW to release figures for them

Ah, something I had forgotten! I like this theory, as it increases the likelihood that we'll see plastic Dunlending Warriors. Those are some sexy, sexy models! :)

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The dunlending warriors are beast, simply because they're similar to vikings and they are huge for humans.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

welp the resin thing's definitely happening, likely to be the end of this month. GW have almost run out of the tin they bought a few years ago and they aren't buying any more, so no more metal minis will be cast up from about now-ish and when the resins start shipping stores will be sending their metal stocks back to be melted down and sold off.

they're redesigning blister packs as well apparently?! idk details though.

Mordor-ob bot-tuk

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lord Hurin wrote:

Exactly, and those are the multi-part plastics which apparently are so superior.

the problem with the elves was the ugly scale mail they sculpted for them (inexplicably since the old ones had ring mail?) rather than the level of detail that got cast up - look at the shields, for example, there's a lot of detail in those.

i don't know that i'd go so far as to call them a multi-part plastic kit in the conventional sense, either - sure, they have seperate heads and shields, but almost every LotR kit has seperate shields or weapon arms somewhere on the sprue. some of the elves have seperate arms as well, which is nice, and certainly a step in the right direction, but compare the number of components to a WHFB kit and very few of the elves come close.

Mordor-ob bot-tuk

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Raukov wrote:
the problem with the elves was the ugly scale mail they sculpted for them (inexplicably since the old ones had ring mail?) rather than the level of detail that got cast up - look at the shields, for example, there's a lot of detail in those.

i don't know that i'd go so far as to call them a multi-part plastic kit in the conventional sense, either - sure, they have seperate heads and shields, but almost every LotR kit has seperate shields or weapon arms somewhere on the sprue. some of the elves have seperate arms as well, which is nice, and certainly a step in the right direction, but compare the number of components to a WHFB kit and very few of the elves come close.

I never got the Galadhrim for exactly the reason you stated; their armour looked wonky. I can't tell from pics I've seen whether it's a lack of detail or simply the sculpt, but they look flat and altogether not as good as the metals.

The Galadhrim, SKoDA and Morgul Knights were all touted as being much more like WHFB style kits. I oppose this for 3 reasons.
1) Being single part models sets the LoTR range apart from the Warhammer ones
2) The new sets require much more preparation (trimming and gluing) than the older ones without any interchangeability.
3) The price was significantly higher. Not sure about the US o European costs, but a set of SKoDA is about $10 more than an older cavalry set here in Canada.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:27 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

the method of making one-piece minis with a seperate arm or shield actually works much better for WHFB where you expect models to be closely ranked and thus all be in similar poses. skaven clanrats are prettywell monopose with a plug-in weapon arm and a seperate shield (and the starter set ones have their shields moulded on, too)

for skirmish games, more posability is a real advantage - you can make minis in more dynamic poses without ruining their ability to rank up. since WotR models are spaced out on their movement trays, it isn't an issue there, either. if anything there's a stronger case for posable multipart WHFB-style kits for LotR minis than for WHFB itself.

Mordor-ob bot-tuk

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:08 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Raukov wrote:
the method of making one-piece minis with a seperate arm or shield actually works much better for WHFB where you expect models to be closely ranked and thus all be in similar poses. skaven clanrats are prettywell monopose with a plug-in weapon arm and a seperate shield (and the starter set ones have their shields moulded on, too)

for skirmish games, more posability is a real advantage - you can make minis in more dynamic poses without ruining their ability to rank up. since WotR models are spaced out on their movement trays, it isn't an issue there, either. if anything there's a stronger case for posable multipart WHFB-style kits for LotR minis than for WHFB itself.

Fair enough, but from what I heard that isn't what we got. We got kits with separate arms and heads, but only one option on who those parts went to. My information could be wrong though, as I said I've never seen any of the kits in person.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lord Hurin wrote:
from what I heard that isn't what we got. We got kits with separate arms and heads, but only one option on who those parts went to.

Yeah, sadly that is what we got, which is what I was complaining about a few posts ago ;)

I was just saying that WHFB-style kits would be ideal for LotR... I don't think we're ever likely to see any.

Mordor-ob bot-tuk

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Silly question maybe because it's probably already been answered, but what metal does GW actually use?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ritcherd wrote:
Silly question maybe because it's probably already been answered, but what metal does GW actually use?

Some pewter alloy, far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Lord Hurin wrote:
Raukov wrote:
]
The Galadhrim, SKoDA and Morgul Knights were all touted as being much more like WHFB style kits. I oppose this for 3 reasons.
1) Being single part models sets the LoTR range apart from the Warhammer ones
2) The new sets require much more preparation (trimming and gluing) than the older ones without any interchangeability.
3) The price was significantly higher. Not sure about the US o European costs, but a set of SKoDA is about $10 more than an older cavalry set here in Canada.

GW Canada prices just go up and up regardless of what is happening anywhere in the world. Loonie goes down? GW price goes up. Loonie goes up? GW price goes up. The loonie is pretty strong against Sterling, the USD and the Euro right now - something I am painfully aware of - and the GW Canada prices are way over the odds.

I don't remember GW making much of a big deal about the sprues being anything terribly special. It was more: these are cool, buy them and pay lots of money for them. Luckily we have ebay.

And the new sets require more preparation probably because GW are not bothering so much anymore.

Fact is, WH and WH40K will get all these amazing plastics. LOTR won't. Maybe the future Hobbit line will, but don't expect anything terribly special in the next two-three years until the Hobbit actually gets to cinemas.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like how the US dollar and Canadian dollar are pretty much on par with each other right now and you have GW giving totally drastic price differences. Ex. Castellans two fig blister: $15 US, $30 Cdn.

Now I thought Canada is still good with the UK, being apart of the Common Wealth and all, where as the States revolted... sheesh.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Raukov wrote:
Yeah, sadly that is what we got, which is what I was complaining about a few posts ago ;)

I was just saying that WHFB-style kits would be ideal for LotR... I don't think we're ever likely to see any.

While I would like it in theory, I'm not sure I'd care to pay the same price for less than half as many models. The best part is that your two separate boxes of the same minis could look drastically different. Those Elves were more expensive, more work to put together, and every box still looks the same. There's no plus there for me... It seems we're in agreement over that though.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:39 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sacrilege83 wrote:
I like how the US dollar and Canadian dollar are pretty much on par with each other right now and you have GW giving totally drastic price differences. Ex. Castellans two fig blister: $15 US, $30 Cdn.

Now I thought Canada is still good with the UK, being apart of the Common Wealth and all, where as the States revolted... sheesh.

Maelstromgames.co.uk good habs fan.

Free shipping and decent prices.

Don't worry, this problem is not restricted to gamers. Chapters is still trotting out some half baked excuse about something something future stock something something cross border something blah. (Roughly translated: we can do this, and you'll like it)

It's got to the point that I very rarely actually buy any hobby stuff in Canada. It almost all comes from the UK; though the local game store here has prices on par with the US prices. Good for picking up Dungeons and Dragons stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

aelfwine wrote:
It's got to the point that I very rarely actually buy any hobby stuff in Canada. It almost all comes from the UK; though the local game store here has prices on par with the US prices. Good for picking up Dungeons and Dragons stuff.

Yeah luckily for me too as well that I have a local indi that sells roughly at US pricing. Did order some stuff from Maelstrom for the first time this past week, hope it shows up in the mail, it's the only place where I can find the Khazad Dum sourcebook now.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So, any idea when GW are going to announce this? I mean, I know they're not known as being the best in customer relations but a change this big would warrant a press release, no?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Rumor has it that they will make an announcement of some sort on May 16th. Whether that is about metals or not is up in the air.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Jobu wrote:
Rumor has it that they will make an announcement of some sort on May 16th. Whether that is about metals or not is up in the air.

Ok, so next Monday I guess? I'll be waiting...

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Where did you hear that rumour?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

warseer or Bell of Lost Souls, can not remember which, but I think it was warseer.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next