All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:54 pm

Post subject: Oh, what to use these for?
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok, I picked up a box of Warlord Games Imperial Roman Auxiliaries today on a whim. I love them, they're great but I'm not sure what to use them as, Middle-earth wise.

http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=11393

I was thinking Helmingas maybe, but they all have spears which I wouldn't need mine to have. Perhaps a Fiefdom of Gondor or Bardings or something similar. Anyway, I look forward to hearing suggestions!

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
 Post subject: Re: Oh, what to use these for?
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:17 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Not anything Rohan, they are no shaggy enough, don't think they are for Northmen either. You could maybe house-rule them as Arnor/Minas-tirith Auxiliaries or a Fiefdom state.
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:31 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Barbarians of Carn dum or Dunlendings althought they seem too good dressed for them...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hithero wrote:
Not anything Rohan, they are no shaggy enough, don't think they are for Northmen either. You could maybe house-rule them as Arnor/Minas-tirith Auxiliaries or a Fiefdom state.

Hmm, their armour does extend below the waist. If I recall correctly, that was the main requirement for having heavy armour, right? If so, they I think I've found my Arnor Army for little more than $1 each rather than $6.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Look at this site.
http://larsen-family.us/~1066/index.html

Auxiliaries or a Fiefdom state sounds good. Look at late Romans for Rohan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The helmets almost look Isengard-ish. Maybe , if you put crests on them, they'd do as better-armed Dunland warriors, equipped out of the Isengard armouries. Doesn't it say in the book that Saruman had armed the wild hillmen? Rusty armour, black shields with White Hand, pale skin and tattoos (Pict-like), the odd Milliput beard, they'd be quite a stand-out unit. The standard bearer with the skin round his neck even ties in with Thyrden Wolfsbane's look.

Failing that, some sort of Easterling.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I really like those Warlord Games Celts! I bookmarked that one. Has anyone gotten their minis before and can confirm that they look good in forces with GW's LotR line (considering GW's own metal and plastics aren't in great scale to begin with)? I think they may make excellent Wild Men (and even throw in some female warriors for variety).

One thing I really like about them is in addition to the nice variety of troops they have "wounded" models available. I have been wanting to make some wounded or otherwise "blank" bases to fill in my movement trays when models are lost from a Company, but at GWs prices and the effort to convert potentially 7 such wounded figures per Formation I will play it just hasn't been high on the list. To be able to order a set of such figures is very cool.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Beowulf03809 wrote:
I really like those Warlord Games Celts! I bookmarked that one. Has anyone gotten their minis before and can confirm that they look good in forces with GW's LotR line (considering GW's own metal and plastics aren't in great scale to begin with)? I think they may make excellent Wild Men (and even throw in some female warriors for variety).

One thing I really like about them is in addition to the nice variety of troops they have "wounded" models available. I have been wanting to make some wounded or otherwise "blank" bases to fill in my movement trays when models are lost from a Company, but at GWs prices and the effort to convert potentially 7 such wounded figures per Formation I will play it just hasn't been high on the list. To be able to order a set of such figures is very cool.

I have two sets and they aren't in scale with each other, either. The Imperial Roman Veterans are about the size of plastic Numenorean Warriors, though maybe a tad shorter. The Auxiliaries are a fair amount bigger; around the size of a RRG on foot, but with slightly bigger heads.

As I said, I bought the Auxiliaries on a whim because they were a good price. I was going to use them as Dunlendings, but the armour and spears don't make sense. I have a thread in another section of the boards about Dunlending proxies...