All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:48 pm

Post subject: Re: WotR Angmar Army Project - Alternative Models. (Pic Heav
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

For Gulahvar I think the vampire counts varghulf fits in perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hero of gondor wrote:
For Gulahvar I think the vampire counts varghulf fits in perfectly.

Yeah, but it is a GW model and we can't have that now...

Anyhoo, I'm still working on the planning for this, I reckon I'll go with the Otherworld Wolves as Wargs, as they are nice, and possibly the Spectres as the two named Wraiths from the Battlehost.

For Dunlendings, as I've passed on my Celts, I think a mix of both Saxon Fyrd and Viking Bondi should fit the bill. A box of each will give me enough for 8 companies, and I can just mix up the parts from both sets. I may add a set of Thegns or Huscarls (maybe both) and that should introduce even more variety, and bulk out the units.

I haven't looked at Mithril yet, I don't know if they have anything suitable, so I'll need a real stand-out Witch-king.

What I really need to do is find my WotR rulebook and Battlehosts and sit down and plan out a starting point, then I can actually get some real progress made.

If anyone has any more suggestions, I'm all ears.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I may have fallen down a rocky road to ruin via Reaper. Thanks Rob. Yeah, really... :P

Another potential Buhrdur

A possible Witch-king (once I sort the face out)

A slightly less epic dragon, but would fill a dragon base much better. And do as a stand in until the heresy one was procured. :-D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Here are 2 more Witch King possibilities from Reaper John.

Rob
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Actually, that 1st one is perfect too. (Damn you)

And the 2nd looks like a standard wraith, which would mean I could use all 3...

Hmmmmm....

Other things to consider -

I really fancy using some of the new(ish) Renedra gravestones on some of the bases, mainly the Ghostly Legion/Riders

I know it isn't really Middle-earthy, but I quite like the idea anyway, as it would highlight the supernatural nature of the force.

Colour scheme - do I go for blues or green ethereals, or a mix?

If I do green, then I can use the Ghostly Legion/Riders as Army of the Dead as well, similar to this -

If I go for blue, it makes them much more distinctive, and evokes a colder, more sinister feel.

Or do I go for a mix of the two, either greens for the Legion/Riders and blue for the Shades/Court of Fallen Kings, or even mixed across the entire army, which might look a bit too busy...

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm stick with green for good and blue for evil. I'm also use a pale yellow or red or even pure white for the eye's of the ghostly troops. It give that animated by powerful magic look.

Rob
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

gaarew wrote:
Well, guess it is time for me to embark on yet another project...

I quite fancy doing an alternative Angmar list, not for official use, but one that I can incorporate a variety of manufacturers minis in, probably just as a side project, or something I can use at the club

Seeing as I have a huge backlog of Mantic Undead, they provided the idea to go for the ghostly legions of Angmar, although, I expect a few monstrous Misty Mountains allies to be included.

So, I have a few ideas so far, going through the Angmar list -

Ghostly Legion - Mantic Skeleton Warriors, painted up as ethereal should do the trick. Command parts included on sprues. One Skeleton Horde should do for 5 companies.

Also, to take advantage of the Cursed Armour Fate, Mantic Revenants as they are more heavily armoured.

which leads nicely to

Ghostly Riders - Mantic Revenant Knights

Spectral Host - Mantic Zombies with the inclusion of wet effect swamp bases and some brass etched foliage as reeds etc. Any excuse to paint more of these models. Just finished 90 in <a week, they are fantastic.

Carn Dum Warband - Warlord Games plastic Celts (or Ancient Brits, or Dacians etc) - mixed weapons really isn't an issue, plus I should have lots of swords lying about.

Angmar Orc Warband - I might just use LotR Orcs for this. I really like Wargames Foundry War Orcs but they are pretty expensive to amass in bulk. I'll look into Mantic's Orcs when they are released, but, I'm not sure the imagery is right.

Court of Fallen Kings - Mantic Wraiths - I've already been told they remind people of Barrow Wights, plus I love the models.

Shade - Mantic Liche King - it almost looks made for LotR, should look great on a 40mm base.

Werewolf Pack - A bit stumped here. Can't really find exceptional werewolf models that will sit comfortably on standard bases, the best I've found so far are Heresy's Werewolf

and Westwinds

I found werewolf heads online somewhere, but can't for the life of me remember where.

The named characters are a dilema, one one hand, using the official models drastically cuts down on confusion, but, if I'm going to do an alt. list, well, I might as well go all the way...

Buhrdur - Heresy Troll - just because he looks mean as all hell, possible a Reaper Ogre/Hill Giant.

Gulavhar - Either Mantic's Vampire on Pegasus (it flies...)

or the Heresy Demon Lord

Not sure about the Ringwraiths, probably just the official models, unless I get better suggestions.

As for Allies, I am seriously tempted by Heresy's Dragon model

although, the £200 price tag is kinda offputting... and a Majestic Bear Stone Giant is sure to factor in somewhere as well

Image although, the Ultraforge one is also tempting.

I'm keen to find a decent set of minis to use as Wargs, and probably some other stuff that escapes my attention just now.

So, what I really need is a few suggestion either for alternative models to ones I have already chosen, or suggestions to plug some of the gaps.

Cheers, 8)

John

Great post John (I just came across it). How do the Mantic undead compare in scale with GW warriors of the Dead. Would they mix ok in the same formation?
regards
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:08 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

jscottbowman wrote:
Great post John (I just came across it). How do the Mantic undead compare in scale with GW warriors of the Dead. Would they mix ok in the same formation?
regards
Scott

Thanks. They are about the same scale, pretty much the same height, but because they do not have the cloaks, they look much slighter. I don't think they would mix in too well, but, as a formation unto themselves, they look the part.