All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 5:29 am

Post subject: My first diorama?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey Guys,

I am pretty new to the game and I was thinking about building a diorama of Boromir's death from the first movie. This could easily be done from GW's Ambush at Amon Hen box set (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1130389) using Aragorn, Lurtz, dying Boromir and the five Uruks in the diorama, leaving me with a spare Gimli and Legolas to paint for an Elves and Dwarves force.

I have some questions for you guys though.

1. Lurtz's pose isn't quite right for the diorama and my sculpting and modelling skills aren't too good, at all. Will it take much work to convert him into a more suitable pose without ruining my model.

2. I don't have the largest of budgets and was wondering which paints I would need to complete this diorama?

Not too sure if I shall go through with this project or not, it will really depend on your responses. Also, I wasn't too sure where to post this so I posted it here. If it is in the wrong section a moderator is free to move it.

Thanks in Advance,
Guardian

Post subject: Re: My first diorama?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If by diorama you mean making it so the models will not be able to be put on their bases then i would not do this, especially since
A: That box set is very expensive
B: It is easy to make it so that the models are on their bases in the diorama, just make holes in the landscape to fit the bases
C: You would spend that money better building up your forces

As for converting lurtz, what pose did you have in mind? I assume you want him in a "shooting" pose. In which case the conversion would be very difficult, because his "reloading" arm is connected to the quiver and his torso, you'd be better off converting a standard uruk hai scout into lurtz.

I believe you started a topic about Starting a goblin force, if you want to play isengard too then the only way they can "legally" ally is if you use the "isengard raiders" (Lurtz,Ugluk,Vrasku, Sharku, uruk scouts, feral uruks, uruk scouts) and "dwellers below" (Goblins, wargs, spiders and trolls, NO durburz tho D: ) army lists. However it's unlikely you will come across anyone who demands you to abide by LoMe if your a beginner :)

That said, legolas, aragorn, boromir and gimli are both excellent heroes who you should buy now. If you want to start a good force, it would be awesome to see someone play an all hero force ;)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
If by diorama you mean making it so the models will not be able to be put on their bases then i would not do this, especially since
A: That box set is very expensive
B: It is easy to make it so that the models are on their bases in the diorama, just make holes in the landscape to fit the bases
C: You would spend that money better building up your forces

As for converting lurtz, what pose did you have in mind? I assume you want him in a "shooting" pose. In which case the conversion would be very difficult, because his "reloading" arm is connected to the quiver and his torso, you'd be better off converting a standard uruk hai scout into lurtz.

I believe you started a topic about Starting a goblin force, if you want to play isengard too then the only way they can "legally" ally is if you use the "isengard raiders" (Lurtz,Ugluk,Vrasku, Sharku, uruk scouts, feral uruks, uruk scouts) and "dwellers below" (Goblins, wargs, spiders and trolls, NO durburz tho D: ) army lists. However it's unlikely you will come across anyone who demands you to abide by LoMe if your a beginner :)

That said, legolas, aragorn, boromir and gimli are both excellent heroes who you should buy now. If you want to start a good force, it would be awesome to see someone play an all hero force ;)

I was going to build the diorama but have them on bases so I can use them in the future as I don't want to throw £33 down the drain. I have come to the conclusion that Lurtz is in an appropriate pose if he is approaching Boromir in the film.

I am most likely going to go with the Goblin and Uruk Scout force and I think that this box set would be ideal. I will get Lurtz who is a good enough hero for a me, three scouts, and two with Merry and Pippin on their back. That means I get a hero, three warriors to test my painting on for my first ever Uruks and the two carrying Merry and Pippin could be useful aswell in a certain scenario, so as expensive as it may sound, it's quite forth it's money.

Then onto the four, well three heroes. Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are great heroes and they could be used in scenarios and I can practice painting techniques with them. Also the Boromir figure is actually a favourite of mine and I have always wanted to own it.

So, do you think it's worth it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Personally, no. But i see why you would think its worth the money. If you think about it you get 87 points worth of evil for your evil force and 375 points worth of good, which is a path you don't seem eager to tread down yet. Getting Lurtz on his own and 24 scouts would cost about £10-£15 at most on ebay and would give you 268 points worth of evil models for a fraction of the price of the amon hen set, and if you want aragorn legolas and gimli you can get them for like £2 each...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Personally, no. But i see why you would think its worth the money. If you think about it you get 87 points worth of evil for your evil force and 375 points worth of good, which is a path you don't seem eager to tread down yet. Getting Lurtz on his own and 24 scouts would cost about £10-£15 at most on ebay and would give you 268 points worth of evil models for a fraction of the price of the amon hen set, and if you want aragorn legolas and gimli you can get them for like £2 each...

Fair enough, I see where you're coming from. And tbh, you're doing a good job of me blowing all my money, which I must applaud you for.

I can get a Ringwraith for my army for just under £6 and I can win an auction for 36 goblins and a Cave Troll which is a bidding auction but it might not go as far as £10.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

When it comes to bidding, don't bid right until a minute before the auction ends, then you will win stuff alot cheaper. Its risky so don't do it on an essential auction but if you get good at it you can save alot of money :)
Sorry about your money :(
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
When it comes to bidding, don't bid right until a minute before the auction ends, then you will win stuff alot cheaper. Its risky so don't do it on an essential auction but if you get good at it you can save alot of money :)
Sorry about your money :(

I don't get my 'pocket money' until the fifteenth of July and i've already got a special advance to buy Durburz so I won't be getting much money for a while.

Thanks for your concern about my money, I think the next models I will be getting a Ringwraith and Lurtz who I can get for like £5 each so I think i'll be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It is up to you if you want to build the diorama. If you are a gamer then make a board that can you have the bases on. I got the set a while back when it was 20 quid but check out ebay. Boromir will be the hardest to get as it is a desirable pose and one few ever really want to get rid of it. However, it is an iconic moment in the film and it will be the real boost you need to help with those skills. I would search ebay for the models though as the breaking of the fellowship aragorn is much better than the Amon-Hen one though
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Morgoths_crown wrote:
It is up to you if you want to build the diorama. If you are a gamer then make a board that can you have the bases on. I got the set a while back when it was 20 quid but check out ebay. Boromir will be the hardest to get as it is a desirable pose and one few ever really want to get rid of it. However, it is an iconic moment in the film and it will be the real boost you need to help with those skills. I would search ebay for the models though as the breaking of the fellowship aragorn is much better than the Amon-Hen one though

Thanks, it really comes down to the availability of models and if I decide with the diorama or my Moria/Isengard Army, I will dwell on it tonight and see what I think. Also i'm pretty sure i've seen a well painted version of the dying Boromir on eBay for a reasonable price. Also, with regards to the different variants of figures it does come down to personal preference usually but to be honest the Amon Hen Aragorn doesn't fit in with the actual move representation as he is wearing a cloak in the movie.

It's the actual diorama base or landscape that i'd need help with you guys from.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GotC just sent you a PM on some of the figures. I havent done the diorama myself but did a scenic base a while ago and used the terrain kit to do it

It just looks a bit more movie like. This will be added to a wotr movement tray along with some dead uruks and Lurtz. I would go small as many dioramas are actually too big. Keep it simple. Simple trees, simple touches and use a lot of oregano as leaves!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Morgoths_crown wrote:
GotC just sent you a PM on some of the figures. I havent done the diorama myself but did a scenic base a while ago and used the terrain kit to do it

It just looks a bit more movie like. This will be added to a wotr movement tray along with some dead uruks and Lurtz. I would go small as many dioramas are actually too big. Keep it simple. Simple trees, simple touches and use a lot of oregano as leaves!

That is the an incredibly beautiful model sir, i'd be proud of it!

I don't want it being too big as my room is not very large. The diorama will probably be no bigger than 30cm by 30cm to give you an idea of the size. Some adjustments to those to values might need to be made but we'll see.

Thanks again for the links and I will check up on this tomorrow as I should probably be getting some sleep now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No worries and thank you. Glad to help as well. I should also be asleep. Still, I will sleep at work....hardly know the diference anyways LOL!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Morgoths_crown wrote:
No worries and thank you. Glad to help as well. I should also be asleep. Still, I will sleep at work....hardly know the diference anyways LOL!

LOL, sounds like your work is majorly exciting! :P . I PM'd you back with more information so if you want to continue talking about it in the PM and we'll seee if anyone else posts in this thread with their opinions.