All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:26 am

Post subject: isenguard objective capturers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i have started playing games involving capturing certain points of terrain as objectives and i realise that some warriors are better at capturing and holding objectives. i am using isenguard scouts and wondered which of thier models would you say are best at capturing objectives.

Last edited by Mighty.Uruk!!! on Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: isenguard objective capturers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

oh also are there any general tips on how to capture and hold on to objectives
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You mean WotR, right?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

either game system, since i have now just started wotr. sorry for missing that bit out
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In WotR, if I needed to occupy a terrain feature I'd do so with a formation that has a high defence. With the defence bonus from the terrain, you should have a defence of 8 or 9, thus being very difficult for your opponent to remove.

In SBG, I would go for numbers instead. If you have twenty models sitting on an objective, then it will take some time for your opponent to get rid of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ok thanks
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ok thanks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:
In WotR, if I needed to occupy a terrain feature I'd do so with a formation that has a high defence.

Unless they're attacked by Spirits with the Spirit Grasp special rule (strike against Courage rather than defense) then you'd need a high courage. A captain could help a little on that. An Epic hero would also work on holding it, though that would be a problem if there were multiple objectives.

For capturing objectives with your Scouts, I think warg riders would get there the fastest if that's what you mean. In WotR, they could grab them and just run around till the game ended, though there's not much fun in that.

Not sure if any of this helps.

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ok thanks again, well done for saying about the spirits as i hadn't even looked at their profiles or rules so that seems really useful. btw are there any spirits that attack against courage in sbg?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Mighty.Uruk!!! wrote:
btw are there any spirits that attack against courage in sbg?

Only the Army of the Dead.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ah ok, where can i find the rules for army of the dead, they sound dangerous but they arent in the sbg rulebook
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The missing Army of the Dead rules and profiles can be found on the GW website at:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=800009&pIndex=0&aId=4000012&multiPageMode=true&start=1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:09 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

thanks HeavySoul.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Mighty.Uruk!!! wrote:
ah ok, where can i find the rules for army of the dead, they sound dangerous but they arent in the sbg rulebook

Which rulebook is that?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

General Elessar wrote:
Mighty.Uruk!!! wrote:

Which rulebook is that?

I believe he means the main SBG rule book. Although the A5 version that comes with the Mines of Moria set includes the King of the Dead and Army of the Dead profiles the main rule book does not.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

HeavySoul wrote:

I believe he means the main SBG rule book. Although the A5 version that comes with the Mines of Moria set includes the King of the Dead and Army of the Dead profiles the main rule book does not.

yep thatts the one. anyways thanks for all the help
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

When playing as Mordor-based faction I have found that a Troll Chief is excellent for holding a terrain feature. They can get there relatively fast, have the staying power to hold up to multiple opponents and have both ranged (fair) and melee abilities. Regular Trolls are a little less effective. But in most cases numbers of high defense models are the best to hold. Spear supporters are a major benefit, as are any models with 2 attacks (even better, spear support a model with 2 attacks!). If you can have enough dice being cast to win the Fight you don't need to worry as much about defense, but you don't want your enemy to sit back and pick you off with ranged fire either.

But you have to remember that unless you're playing the only high-speed models you have a 50/50 chance of needing to get your enemy off the objective. Obviously causing damage is a great way to do this. But never underestimate magic. If you have Saruman, for example, a Sorcerous Blast can really crack them open for you. Any other magic or special rule that allows transfix (or similar effect) is really good as well.

If you're trying such games with a pretty "pure" Isengard Scout force (I really do love these guys), then here are some suggestions.

Warg Riders - If you're trying to take and hold a location these aren't the best thing for that. Cav want to move to be effective. Instead use these to intercept your opponent's lead models. If you can delay them just one or two turns then you have a much better chance of getting secured on the objective. If you are trying to gain objective markers that can be carried they are more versatile...in WotR at least. In that system consider giving them a Shaman so you can cast Wings of Terror, and have a Captain to ATD. These two in combo will allow you to rush around a board like you won’t believe. Be sure the formation has shields to give a little bit of a defense bonus but try not to get into combat. Have a couple more formations of these to help run interception. In SBG, I don’t believe cav models can pick up and carry objectives so you’re still wanting to use these as interceptors. Either way though they are a great benefit.

Uruk Scouts with Shields – These will probably be the bulk of your force. Though they don’t have the heavy armor of their kin, they are still a very solid model in either game. Good Fight and Defense and very good Strength for basic troops. Pack them into the objective zone and your enemy will have to work hard to get you out.

Uruk Scouts with Bows – Yeah, Orc-bows are relatively weak and Uruk archers aren’t the best, but these fight just as good as any other Uruks and the one point less defense just puts them on par with many common troops. If your enemy has cavalry then these can prove very useful in SBG (when you score a hit on a cav you have a 50/50 chance of hitting the mount which is an easy kill). Otherwise get them off to a flanking position while your main Scouts rush the objective. They can stand off to the side, half-moving so that they can keep firing, and pester your opponent’s weaker flank. Your enemy will either need to ignore them (thereby taking some slow damage) or break off some forces from the objective-taking to engage them (if you still have Warg Riders left they can be doing something similar). You can advance slowly if you want and eventually charge with them as they’re pretty good fighters still.

Heroes – Lurtz and Ugluk are each very good, but generic unnamed Uruk Scout Captains shouldn’t be underestimated in SBG. I normally don’t like Vrasku for a scout army since no one else in the force has a crossbow (this was a dumb move on the part of GW when they did LoME), but if you are playing a game where you need to take and hold an objective rather than be mobile to secure multiple markers, he is very useful. If you can get to the objective first and camp him out on it then his two shots per turn can really hurt your enemy.

Orcs – These are perfect, cheap fodder for a Scout force. They give you access to spears, which can really make your Uruk Scouts more effective,

Obviously if you choose to be less “pure” in your Scouts and toss in some heavy armored Uruks then you will probably find yourself slowly moving away from Scouts for the most part. The armored Uruks with shields can hold a position better, especially with pike support, and if you’re trying to get a foe off of an objective they (again with pikes) can do the job better. They have berserkers and Isengard Trolls if you have the points and really want some punch and an Uruk Captain in heavy armor with a shield is one of the toughest cheap heroes available in the game so you can pack in a couple of them (and maybe a shaman or Saruman depending on points and composition).

I hope you stick to the Scouts though and look forward to any game reports as you have a chance to play them out.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

cool, thanks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thrydan is quite a good objective taker, on a horse he can inflict up to 12 wounds if he charges, thats enough to kill any selection of enemies below him. Shadowlord is a good objective holder, since there is no way of removing him and his mates besides engaging them in combat. Castellans are brilliant at not budging, they have D7 and 12 fate/will and luckily isengard raiders can actually ally with dol guldor, hooray. In my experience beserkers have the most staying power, two attacks without support has caused me many problems many times...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

cool. not too keen on the castellans or the shadow lord as they don't seemto fit into the theme of an isenguard force. however i still like the ideas and would like to try them out.