All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 12:35 pm

Post subject: Wood Elves or Galadhrim Elves?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey I'm new to this whole table top war game hobby and am currently trying to decide which army to start building, I am in between Wood Elves and Galadhrim Elves, care to help me out with my decision? Thank you :) and it will be for the Strategy game to start more than likely then the War of the Ring eventually, please help me out let me know what I should buy to start and an evil army for my friend to play against me? Any suggrestions?
 Post subject: Re: Wood Elves or Galadhrim Elves?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I can't really help you that much in deciding between which elves to go for - i'll leave that to someone who knows what theyre talking about but as far as suggestions for an evil army are concerned....Isengard Uruk-Hai - it doesn't matter what kind of elf you have they'll be trembling in there boots at the sight of a load of uruks comin at them.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Welcome to the hobby, i would recomend the Gladhrim elves, since all of their profiles are available FREE online and their profiles are more recent, which generally means they are better :L If i were you i would buy a box of wood elves, a box of galadhrim, and then choose a hero, my suggestions would be Legolas for wood elves and Rumil for the Galadhrim, but all elf heroes are very very powerful! Once you've got a box of troops and a hero then you can play, the nice thing about elves is that you don't need to break the bank to build a nice big army! I wouldn't recomend making any further purchases before you've played a game or two, so you can get what is best For example if your army is taking alot of casualties from bowfire and having trouble dealing with powerful fighters, then you might want to add gandalf in (gandalf has a spell which counters bowfire and he has another which can immobilize enemy models)

As for your friend, i would recommend letting him choose his force himself, and try to keep a few of your purchases secret from him so he can't have a counter for everything (I know it's sneaky but it spices up your games if there is some occasional diversity!)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I know its a stupid question but could I put Legolas in a Galadhrim army?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well how the game works is by an ally system, in which each allied contingent has to be lead by a hero from that contingent, so yes you can use legolas but you need to have a galadhrim hero too, otherwise there is no-one to lead the galadhrim. I would recomend getting hold of legolas, he is a VERY useful model that is very cheap on ebay, and is important in any good army, should you choose to start a new one :) However if you are strapped for cash haldir is a very good "shooty" hero, but he can pack a bit more punch in combat than legolas thanks to his armour and elf blade :) The only major reason legolas is considered to be better is because he can shoot a single arrow into combat which automatically hits, this is a very useful skill that makes legolas one of the few models capable of shooting while plenty of fighting is going on, only evil models can do this, but they risk hitting their own models, unlike legolas.

As for your friend, i find that trolls are quite nice for negating the F5 of elves, but trolls can be made redundant by an elf stormcaller. As for the advice about uruks... i would ignore it, uruks cost a little more because of boosted strength, fight and courage values, but the increased fight value is useless against elves, so morannon orcs would be a better choice, since they have better armour and strength, but cost a point less :) Morannon orcs also have access to mordor trolls, which have fight 7, essential for squashing annoying elf heroes, whereas uruks have isengard trolls, which are fight 6, so they can still beat up elf soldiers, but they are on equal ground with an elf hero!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:05 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Agree with SuicideMarsbar, a box of each type of elf, plus a hero, and maybe a blister of Guards is a good foundation that can handle most situations. You don't need generic captains or a banner (at least, IMHO). Just make sure when you build your army you:
- max your bow count (33% of warriors)
- give your wood elves spears (they have a special rule which is very useful)
- consider giving your wood elf spears some throwing daggers
- don't use too many elven blades

Good luck and hope you enjoy!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:08 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

after you've done some games with galadhrim/wood elves, you might want to include a box of galadrim knights: though very expensive points wise, their movement is extra long, so they're great for out flanking or for the "hammer and anvil" tactic (your infantry attacks from the front and your cavalry swings around attacks the enemy from behind).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:33 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Galadhrim nice are very good, but make sure you have built enough woodland terrain to get the best out of them. When i am choosing my cavalry contingent i prefer to choose a mounted power hero, there is nothing worse for your opponent than having Boromir or the twins at his rear all game long.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:42 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Both. :) If you have a mix of wood elves and galadhrim it can give some tactical flexibility. 8) Plus it fits well theme-wise.