All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:32 am

Post subject: Rohan Army List (500pts)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

And finally, here's my Rohan list! I think about using it as an allied contingent to the Lothlórien list as well.

Théoden/heavy armour: 70pts

Éowyn/shield: 35pts

8 Warriors of Rohan/shield: 56pts
8 Warriors of Rohan/shield, throwing spears: 72pts
8 Warriors of Rohan/bow: 56pts

Rohan Outrider: 10pts

Éomer/throwing spears, horse: 90pts

5 Riders of Rohan: 65pts
1 Rider of Rohan/throwing spears: 15pts

Rohan Outrider/horse : 15pts

36 units, 11 bows, 499pts, 7 might

Post subject: Re: Rohan Army List (500pts)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Allying it to lothlorien is a great idea! But if you do that you may wanna drop Eomer and Theoden, especially Theoden, unless if you want to use the version of Haldir that treats theoden as a banner, but even then he is still rubbish :'( Anyway drop theoden for something, preferably grimbold but sadly anything is better than theoden :(

P.S: In the future you can post all your army lists in one thread if you want to :)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I thought I would use Eomer for heroic moves, you know the typical cavalry hit and run tactic. Would you suggest someone else? :) What is wrong with Theoden? Bad stats for the point costs?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Look at this way: King theoden costs 5 points more than a standard king of men, has identical stats but theoden has 2 less will and 1 more fate, imo a normal king of men is better, the reason why not having will is so important is that its very likely you will come up against wraiths and theoden is such an easy target because he has no power to resist. One way to combat this is to use the legolas' autohit rule on the wraith(s) then boost your rolls with might, but even so its very risky to have a hero with no will :( Regarding Eomer: you have Eowyn, who already has 2 might points, so she can call the heroic moves for you and is like 40 points cheaper than eomer and she still gets 4 dice to wound if she charges on horseback and wins the fight. There is a new version of eomer with 3 attacks/wounds on the GW site that is pretty neat but he's still a risky choice due to the fact glorfindel costs the same as mounted super eomer...

Im a big fan of theoden, he's one of my favorite characters, and it annoys me that he is so poorly portrayed in the game: By that i mean having no will points just because saruman casted a spell on him, which is not a reflection of his character, he was a very brave and willful man that rode to the aid of gondor even though gondor did not send any help to helms deep. I combat this logic by using halbarads statline (minus the bow) and using the option for the banner, as a purchasable special rule rather than a piece of equipment.

If you find many characters that you like having displeasing statlines, there is a user on the site called whafrog who has made an excellent website devoted to making more correct profiles for certain characters :)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Where have you found the stats for this super Eomer? Hehe. Hmm, and where can I find SBG stats for Grimbold?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:46 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I explained on your lothlorien army thread how to view the missing profiles, but the rohan/isengard profiles are the ONLY stats available online that can't be found at that location, they can be found here: https://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=14300028a&_requestid=1385286
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In WotR GW corrected their mistake on Theoden and made him a good solid leader. But in SBG he really is more of a liability than anything else. It's a shame because in the books he is really an inspiring leader of his men and a strong warrior. If you get into WotR you will be more happy with him I believe.

Eomer is a great leader for a Rohan army and a great bargain in SBG (point wise). I do think Eowyn is a good low cost Hero in SBG based on the success a Rohan player in our group always had (but he was just an amazing tactician as well). Due to the negative impact on Eomer though if she were killed I'd rarely use the two in the same army. Erkenbrand is a fine alternative to her big brother in such cases.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:29 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Oh, where can I find the Eomer-Eowyn rule? I haven't seen that one. Grrr, I want to use my Theoden! :( How is Gamling for a change?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Maybe I'm remembering wrong (been a few years since I've played Rohan in SBG). I know the rule exists in WotR and thought something similar was in SBG where if Eowyn is killed Eomer must charge an enemy every turn he is able to reach one. If it's not in the core OR rulebook profile then just ignore me. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've given him the link which contains the new eomer profile (with the eowyn rule) As for theoden, i highly suggest you use him with halbarads statline and the banner as a special rule, it works perfectly game wise and is a dream for thematic players :)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
I've given him the link which contains the new eomer profile (with the eowyn rule) As for theoden, i highly suggest you use him with halbarads statline and the banner as a special rule, it works perfectly game wise and is a dream for thematic players :)

I like that

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Have you considered Grimbold and his helmingas? 1 point per model is pretty cheap to give them strength 4 (but I believe only applicable to foot soldiers). I personally would prefer grim and your 8 warriors with sword and spear upgrades over Theoden on foot. (I believe Grim is only 50 pts so 68 total with 18 upgrades) I'm also not a huge fan of giving hero's and calvery units throwing spears. 5pts on a hero and 2 pts per calvery adds up quickly and only wounding on a 6 (8%) and wounding on a 5+(16%) just isn't worth it's weight in points. (especially when your horsemen already have "free" bows, why take 2 ranged weps?)

*edit

Upon closer look you don't seem to have enough soldiers to max out your bow potential on your horsemen anyways, maybe drop a couple on foot bowmen and add a couple more soldiers as you seem to be quite outrider heavy anyways?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello, I'm sorry for answering so late, but I've been a lot on the move the last days. But let's cut to the chase:

I was at the Games Workshop in Oslo today, and I made them order the Grimbold miniature for me. I liked his special rule you see, hehe. I guess I should replace Theoden with him, although I don't want to. :P What do you think? Thank you for the tips anyways, Battalia and SuicidalMarsBar! It's good to get a little updated when you've been out of the game for a while. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

To be honest, I think you have too many heroes and nto enough warriors. Although I've only gotten in 2 games with my Rohan army, I found that their F3 and D5 can be a weak point. The bonus conferred by Grimbold will really offset that by allowing you to kill enemies more easily, but you have to have more warriors. At 500 points, I would have one big hero (Erkenbrand, Eomer, Theoden) and one minor hero (Eowyn or Merry) or drop 1 rider and go with Grimbold to lead the foot troops.

I would recommend that you drop the throwing spears on the foot troops, drop the outriders (add them back in at 600 or above) and boost your overall numbers. Plus, you won't have to worry about dropping the extra rider to fit Grimbold. Also, you might want to consider changing from 5 riders to 4 royal guard - all with throwing spears. A nice thing about that is you can charge up to within throwing weapon range, and, if you lose priority, you have the hero there to call the heroic move to (hopefully) get the charge/bonus - provided no enemy hero is near to counter the heroic.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:39 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If you take Eowyn you should definitely put her on a horse. That extra die lets you get the most out of her high fight score.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Elland wrote:
I would recommend that you drop the throwing spears on the foot troops, drop the outriders (add them back in at 600 or above) and boost your overall numbers. Plus, you won't have to worry about dropping the extra rider to fit Grimbold. Also, you might want to consider changing from 5 riders to 4 royal guard - all with throwing spears.

I personally prefer mounted bowmen. While dropping the outriders may be a good thing for this setup, I wouldn't drop the horsemen. Rohan is an army built around horses and to not take any just feels wrong.

In my opinion the key to a strong Rohan army is your use of the horsemen. They come with a free bow, so make sure you use it! Use your foot soldiers to form the main umph of your army and your opponent will treat it as such, then take your horsemen (led by at LEAST 1 hero with might) and skirt the edges of your opponents army and pepper them with arrows. Resist the urge to engage enemy archers! Losing a 13 point model to archer fire hurts you alot more than what they paid for theirs, and losing your horse is just as bad as death of the entire mini. Then when the enemy has engaged your line of soldiers and you can no longer fire arrows from a safe distance charge in with the horsemen and hit the enemy from behind. Alot of players forget about the charge rule for calvery: 1) you get an extra attack and 2) *** the enemy is knocked to the ground *** <--- I can't stress how important that is. It's not just a knock back, and not just a free 'trap' to get double wounds, but the enemy is knocked to the ground. So should the enemy live, you can win priority or use a heroic move and tie up the knocked down soldier with a soldier of your own which means that even if you lose the battle, you don't have to be afraid of getting wounded, then bounce your horsemen to other standing targets. Rohan isn't an army that can solo battles well, so gang up whenever possible. Use your numbers to your advantage and try not to invest in too many pricey units. 8)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you want to beef up on mounted archers, consider more Outriders; as heros, they are outside the bow limit. Lower defense then thier evenly priced bros with throwing spears, but they do get a fate point...

For a whopping twenty mounted bows, consider:

Eowyn w/Horse & Shield
10 mounted Outriders
10 Riders bow able
20 WoR w/ Shield & Throwing Spears

41 units, 2 might, 20 bows, 501 points

A Grimbold alternative:

Grimbold
20 Helmingas
10 Riders bow able
5 Mounted Outriders
4 Outriders

40 unites, 2 might, 19 bows (15 mounted) 495 points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:07 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Here's a new list with Grimbold:

Grimbold: 50pts

9 Grimbold's Helmingas/shield: 72pts
8 Grimbold's Helmingas/shield, throwing spears: 80pts
8 Grimbold's Helmingas/bow: 64pts

4 Riders of Rohan: 52pts
2 Riders of Rohan/bow: 26pts
1 Rider of Rohan/throwing spears: 15pts

38 units, 14 bows, 499pts, 5 might

Do you think I should try this, or should I focus more on maxing out my troops by getting a cheaper hero than Éomer, like Eowyn maybe? Many of you tell me to get more troops. If I do so, I guess I'll be going for more Helmingas with throwing spears, and get bows for all the horse riders. What do you think?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hmm, Well, im not a master of cavalry but some people have been saying that rohan is a cavalry army etc etc, well their wrong, GT's have been won by people using rohan infantry lists, so don't feel like you HAVE to include cavalry. I noticed you upgraded your archers to helmingas, i wouldn't do that, whenever i play rohan i don't upgrade the archers because they will always be able to find a few targets to shoot at, and that always helps. This is how i play rohan:

Grimbold
10 helmingas throwing spears and shield
10 helmingas shield
10 WoR with bow

Thats 300 points, then i ally in a hero to lead the army, and max out on troops and maybe squeeze eowyn in. OR i do this:

Legolas with elf cloak
Saruman
25 outriders on foot

I proxy all my normal rohan archers as outriders. Saruman is there because his standfast affects heroes, so the outriders won't flee, and he kicks bum! Or if you want to lose all your friends:

Gamling with rohan royal standard
40 outriders

You can include legolas if you reckon you may face the shadowlord but besides that this list is unbeatable.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:23 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hmm, I think I want to stay friends with the few people I'll get to play with, haha. Though, I did as you said and made the archer Helmingas normal Rohan warriors!

So, here goes:

Grimbold: 50pts

7 Grimbold's Helmingas/shield: 56pts
12 Grimbold's Helmingas/shield, throwing spears: 120pts
8 Rohan Warriors/bow: 64pts

3 Riders of Rohan: 39pts
3 Riders of Rohan/bow: 39pts