Post subject: Rohan/GC army.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Arathorn (Leader)
2 Rangers of he north with spears
8 rangers of arnor with spears
Grimbold
20 helmingas (10 shield, 10 throwing spears and shield)
10 warriors of rohan with bow

42 models, 20/21 shots (11 if arathorn has a bow, hint hint), 7 might, 4 expendable, 10/11 throwing weapons

Ignore the possibility of me facing the SL or the SQ, i very much doubt any of my regulars will use them.

Last edited by SuicidalMarsbar on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Rohan/GC army.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Throwing spears for me are hit and miss. If I'm facing an enemy where I can wound on a 5+ then I'll take them along, but when facing enemies with a defence of 6+ on the majority of their army like uruk's they are pretty expensive to rarely get a kill (8% chance per throw x10 = 80% chance of 1 kill a turn for 20 points). I don't know if your army is flexible or not to let you use throwing spears one game and leave them out for 20 points of something else the next, but that's my 2 cents.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I know what you mean, but corsairs do well against good armies, and good armies generally have a higher defence than evil. Well the nice thing about throwing spears is that i can take them out and use the same models, since a spear is still a hand weapon. Also 20 points for 80% for a kill per turn isn't really that bad, it will likely pay for itself in 2-4 turns. But i'll try with throwing spears and without. My experience of not using throwing spears is pretty bad tho...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Or how about you do a quick experiment? Play a game with the throwing spears and keep track of how many throws you actually make, and how many points you kill with them. If you can break even then great! Can't hurt to try, right?

But my experience with them while facing a D6 enemy is I will get in 1 volly, get nothing and then then the enemy closes to hand to hand. in which case I'd much prefer 2 more sword helmingas :)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Good point, well i have a friend who is pretty keen to go to the next tourney with me, so i should be able to get lots of practice in :)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

great to hear, let me know what the results are!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:34 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
I know what you mean, but corsairs do well against good armies, and good armies generally have a higher defence than evil.

It might have been at one point, but between Morannons and Isengard Legion, I don't think that's true anymore.

As for corsairs, they're a better deal than WoR. If you give a corsair a shield, and give a WoR throwing spears, they are both 8 points with the same D, but the corsair has a higher fight. If you gave the WoR a shield he'd have +1D and cost a point more, but that would be useless against a corsair's S3 daggers and attacks, he would still get out-fought.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ouch, and also paying for the S4 helmingas for 1 extra point is also useless if the corsair has a shield
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:21 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Throwing weapons rock. I had 16 in my 2nd place GT Rohan force in 2010 and 18 in my 1st place GT Corsair force in 2011 (and there was a ton of Wood Elf forces with Throwing daggers all around at those tourneys too). I always advise to get as many throwers as possible. 80% chance of killing 8 point Morannon means that in 4 turns you killed 3 Morannons and already have 24 points killed while paying 20. Given that you get to throw before combat starts once and then every other turn in combat, throwers always pay back their points. Plus there's nothing wrong with free kills if your opponent is going through difficult terrain at some stage or you keep winning priority, moving back and he keeps following you and getting hit. That's a really solid force for 500 points, I like it a lot.

You wrote 10/11 shots, but you have 20/21 rather.