All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:17 pm

Post subject: Isengard and Rohan
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:30 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Id like help flushing out these army lists before we go on purchasing anymore models. We already have the Uruk Captain, Uruk banner bearer, and 24 WoR.

Isengard

Command
Uruk Captain w shield 55
Banner Bearer 39

Troops
10 Uruks w pike 100
10 Uruks w shield 100
4 Crossbow Men 44
2 Warg riders w bow 26
2 Warg Riders w spear 28
2 Warg Rider w Sword 24
4 Uruk Berserkers 60

476 Total 2 Might

Rohan

8 Warriors w spear/shield 72
8 Warriors w bow 56
8 Warriors w shield 56
4 Riders w spear 60
8 Riders 104

348 Total 0 Might

The Rohan army needs a hero! What is your favorite Rohan hero and why?
We are aiming for 500 pt armies but it is okay if they are off by a little as we will just be playing each other!

PS: when I say "we" I mean my sister and myself 8)

Thanks!
Drake

My WIP: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21545&start=40
 Post subject: Re: Isengard and Rohan
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:40 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I would like to add a troll to that Isengard list possibly! And just so you know I'm not all that interested in Sauruman, unless you can reall sell me on him. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:09 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'd suggest adding Erkenbrand as your Rohan hero. He's not to expensive (only a little more than a Captain) but with better stats and Might plus he can make all your army count as being in range of a banner for a single turn.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I suggest grimbold for your rohan army, he can boost all your warriors of rohan into helmingas, which makes them strength 4!! Or Eowyn, she is amazing if you want to ignore the throwing weapons and just field loads of models. I notice that your isengard list has 4 beserkers and 4 crossbowmen, i would drop 1 of them for more of the other, i personally prefer crossbows. You may want to get another hero in there, Vrasku is probably the best... in the world. And yes a troll would be pretty cool! I read what you say about saruman, perhaps you should use a shaman to get used to how magic works, then ease yourself into using the white wizard, he can be a very powerful asset to an isengard army...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
I notice that your isengard list has 4 beserkers and 4 crossbowmen, i would drop 1 of them for more of the other, i personally prefer crossbows. You may want to get another hero in there, Vrasku is probably the best... in the world.

my reason for that first point is that they come in sets of four...I don't want to spend the money to guy another set just to have 4 extra guys sitting around. And I'll take a look at Vraksu! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:54 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

For Rohan I suggest dropping the warriors with bows and taking 4 more of each of the other. The reason is all your Riders come with bows, and it's a waste not to be able to use them. For heroes at this point level I'm partial to Erkenbrand, but Grimbold and a completely kitted Eowyn could work pretty well too. Flesh out the rest with either more warriors or a few RRG.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

draked wrote:
SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
I notice that your isengard list has 4 beserkers and 4 crossbowmen, i would drop 1 of them for more of the other, i personally prefer crossbows. You may want to get another hero in there, Vrasku is probably the best... in the world.

my reason for that first point is that they come in sets of four...I don't want to spend the money to guy another set just to have 4 extra guys sitting around. And I'll take a look at Vraksu! Thanks!

Sorry i meant drop one group of 4 for a group of 4 more of the other ie:

Instead of 4 beserkers and 4 Xbows, have 8 beserkers or 8 Xbows
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Farmer Maggot wrote:
I'd suggest adding Erkenbrand as your Rohan hero. He's not to expensive (only a little more than a Captain) but with better stats and Might plus he can make all your army count as being in range of a banner for a single turn.

I will second this for Erkenbrand! He is my first hero choice when building a Rohan army list. The banner ability is awesome, and he does quite well in combat. Mounted, he's a beast for his points cost.

edit:

As far as xbows/zerkers...the downside to the xbows is that it's move or shoot, and they tend to be out of position after a few turns, or you lose out on shooting for a round or two because you have to move them back into a position to shoot. I'm swapping out my xbows for scouts w/bows, and I'm seriously considering Feral Uruks instead of Berzerkers. Both are cheaper, the bows are more manouverable, and the ferals give up very little to the berzerkers.

As far as warg riders, I would avoid ranged weapons on them - their shoot value makes them "iffy" at best for a ranged unit - especially when you can field Uruks with ranged weapons. Massed numbers might be a different story as the chance of getting some hits increases with numbers, but 2 bows and 2 spears - I would see about investing those points elsewhere.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
draked wrote:
SuicidalMarsbar wrote:

Sorry i meant drop one group of 4 for a group of 4 more of the other ie:

Instead of 4 beserkers and 4 Xbows, have 8 beserkers or 8 Xbows

Oh! That makes more sense!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:08 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Okay ill update both lists very soon thanks for the advice! Keep it coming! :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:20 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Isengard

Command
2 Uruk Captain w shield 110
2 Banner Bearer 78

Troops
10 Uruks w pike 100
10 Uruks w shield 100
4 Crossbow Men 44
4 Uruk Berserkers 60

492 Points 4 Might

I know people suggested going either beserkers or xbows but if I do this then when it comes time to expand I'll know which to expand upon. I think that makes sense, to get a feel for both. The reason for 2 banners is that it comes in the package with the captain. :roll:

I think at Bitz Barn, if icremeber correctly, I could purchase just a captian so if you advise that and then going for more xbows I would probably go in that direction. But the banner rules seem quite cool ! :-D

I'll get back to Rohan once I figure out Isengard! Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If you can buy just a captain go for it. Or better yet buy the Vrasku/Ugluk blister, you get two solid heroes. If you must take a banner, one is plenty. More useful for scouts than pikes, since scouts don't have spears.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Personally when you say Rohan Hero the mounted (or unmounted) combo of Eomer and Eowyn always worked for me back when i used to play in TTT rulebook era.

As for the Isengard list, maybe a troll or buy a few more rank and file models, if you can get your hands on some Battle Games in Middle Earth issues then you can get sets of 10 Uruks, 5 Shields and 5 Pikes with them. Try on eBay for them.

'FireKnife'
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

whafrog wrote:
If you can buy just a captain go for it. Or better yet buy the Vrasku/Ugluk blister, you get two solid heroes. If you must take a banner, one is plenty. More useful for scouts than pikes, since scouts don't have spears.

I'd rather not buy Vraksu/Ugluk yet because I'm basing this 500 pt army off the army that attacked Helms Deep. In the future if I start a scout force like the one that ambushed the fellowship at Amon Hen I'll go for them.

FireKnife wrote:
Personally when you say Rohan Hero the mounted (or unmounted) combo of Eomer and Eowyn always worked for me back when i used to play in TTT rulebook era.

As for the Isengard list, maybe a troll or buy a few more rank and file models, if you can get your hands on some Battle Games in Middle Earth issues then you can get sets of 10 Uruks, 5 Shields and 5 Pikes with them. Try on eBay for them.

'FireKnife'

I'll take a look at those heros, and keep my eyes open for that BGiME issuse.

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:26 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

FireKnife wrote:

Rohan is considered quite nerfed since then. They are pretty hard to play competitively.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

How so, they still have a full compliment of deadly cavalry or can be the massed infantry Good equivalent of Mordor when using Warriors of Rohan and the cheap but still powerful Heroes. Plus the Expert Rider rule can't be sniffed at.

I suppose the Evil side has had a fair few extras added since the days of TTT anyway so maybe they just really need an update. Though still trying to find anything about Outriders, don't want to have to buy a whole £30 rulebook or £12 sourcebook about a unit i may not even use. From what i have gathered they are a Warrior with 3+ Shoot and a Fate point.

'FireKnife'
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:26 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

FireKnife wrote:
How so, they still have a full compliment of deadly cavalry or can be the massed infantry Good equivalent of Mordor when using Warriors of Rohan and the cheap but still powerful Heroes. Plus the Expert Rider rule can't be sniffed at.

The heroes are good (except Theoden). Expert rider is nice for the "benefit from a shield" bonus. Their cavalry isn't any more deadly than anyone else even for the price, you pay for bows you may not get to use, and if you structure it so that all your RoR can shoot, then you're committed to a "keep the cavalry in reserve" strategy. For infantry, even goblins get spear support, and the throwing weapons are overpriced: compare a corsair, he's a better deal. To make Rohan work you need allies, like Lothlorien, Woses, GC or even Gondor.

Quote:
I suppose the Evil side has had a fair few extras added since the days of TTT anyway so maybe they just really need an update.

Evil now has cheap S4/D6 units, making a huge difference in combat and throwing weapons. A line of F4 warriors with shield, even without spear support, will neutralize F3 RoR pretty quickly.

Quote:
Though still trying to find anything about Outriders, don't want to have to buy a whole £30 rulebook or £12 sourcebook about a unit i may not even use. From what i have gathered they are a Warrior with 3+ Shoot and a Fate point.

The stats might be on GWs site when you view the model.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:11 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Little update on Rohan idea, to minimize what must be purchased we've decided to ally the WoR she has with the WoMT I'm finishing up! We'll need a hero for each so she chose Aragorn (already have him) and Eowyn.

Aragorn w bow 180
8 WoMT- shield/spear 72
8 WoMT- bow 64
8 WoMT- shield 64

Eowyn 30
8 Warriors w spear/shield 72
8 Warriors w bow 56
8 Warriors w shield 56

Yep. That's 594 pts. But I can just make my force bigger now :-D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:08 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

IMHO Faramir is a better choice, cheaper and more thematic. If you use the Prince of Ithilien profile he's pretty potent (should be in a PDF on GW's site). Plus you'll really want to give Eowyn armour and shield, and probably a horse.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:15 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

whafrog wrote:
IMHO Faramir is a better choice, cheaper and more thematic. If you use the Prince of Ithilien profile he's pretty potent (should be in a PDF on GW's site). Plus you'll really want to give Eowyn armour and shield, and probably a horse.

Yes Eowyn's war gear will be settled further down the road. Faramir, Prince of Ithilien, where on GWs site do you think I could find this stat line?