All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:24 pm

Post subject: Re: 1000 Point Fallen Realms Army
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:46 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Bastion.Hun. Easterlings with Pikes are well worth having. They aren't overly expensive, look very cool, are as effective as any other D7 Troop and have the added advantage that every unit of them that you take foils enemy chargers from the front.

A lot of good players like to take these - I certainly would if I were running that list. The only really bad thing about them is that you will probably end up with mixed Pike + sword/bow units 'counting as' all Pike due to the box composition.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:40 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes, of course. That doesnt matter for me. I have a lot of used easterling, wich's sword is broken. There I can build pikes. I wont use easterling archers either, so I will convert them also.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I did not say that pikes are bad, only wasteful if you want to put Dalamyr in there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That's right because Dalamyr's rule is same as the pikes one... So get him out of pike and put him somewhere esle... 8) He also is useful against cavalry as the pikes are :-D
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Regarding the Haradrim foot troops, you can usually intermix your spear models with your bowmen to increase your count of bow companies. Most players will not object to this and it makes your formations look a little nicer in my opinion as you have a little variety in there.

Locally we say that the command company needs to reflect the real formation (so have that with any heroes and the real models) but after that as long as you do your best you can proxy in models. For example, I play my Wood Elves as 100% bow armed formations, but I only have 33% of the models with bows due to the way the boxes are made. So in each company I have a few bowmen, usually in the front rank, and then a few spear and sword models backing them up. Example:

As I am starting to build out my Haradrim I’m doing the same but not to the same extreme. I want probably close to 50% bow armed with them so I will have a few with spears supporting my bow models (my biggest gripe right now is needing to pull so many out of the ranks to fill up the Mumuaks but that’s a minor complaint).

It’s really up to your local players but most of them shouldn’t balk at this too much. If you go 100% Harad archers for your infantry (poison weapons) and then drop in the Nazgul that allows rerolls on top of that you may get some ugly looks. Generally speaking don’t ask for flexibility in areas such as proxy if you are going to add onto that any of the loopholes/powergaming/cheeze options in the current version of WotR.

For the rest, don’t worry about using them, but consider doing so in smaller groups of maybe 2 companies each. That’s a pretty small size, won’t cost you many points, and will be easily ignored by many players since they’re not that much of a risk. But those small formations can be a speed bump to your enemy, slip in flanking attacks or shield your more important formations from early ranged fire. Not every formation on the battlefield needs to be a major power, but every formation should have a function. Sometimes that function is just to harass and then die so that others may succeed.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

GothmogtheWerewolf, Dalamyr can't be everywhere. The advantage Easterlings have over other lists is that they can make a proper wall of Pike but not be victims to bowfire, so they become very difficult to shift without artillery or magic - this can be pretty difficult to face when there are Nazgul in those Pike blocks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I agree, Dalymyr can't be everywhere but do not put him in a formation of pikemen. Easterlings can in fact do well on heir own withought Nazgul in there,, but obviosly would be more powerful (unless you forgot it's rule and every single spell you tried to cast with it failed)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Are the Harad warriors not really useful then? Would you just stick with Formations of easterlings as your troops?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
I agree, Dalymyr can't be everywhere but do not put him in a formation of pikemen. Easterlings can in fact do well on heir own withought Nazgul in there,, but obviosly would be more powerful (unless you forgot it's rule and every single spell you tried to cast with it failed)

Would you just use Khamuel and the Betrayer with easterlings?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Harad Warriors are only useful with bows or with Khamul. Putting Khamul and the Betrayer in Easterlings would negate the slight problem of their slight overcostedness and make them very powerful (overpowered) Well, obviously don't put Dalamyr in Easterlings with pikes, if you have a spare Ringwraith, put it in their because, especially if it is a powerful one you create a very sturdy formation which is powerfukl but unlike Orcs with two-handers does not get slaughtered without a wraith. I would be tempted to use wraiths, the Knight of Umbar's a good choice too, you could put who you want in, any ES hero would be good, but sometimes I may just ut a Dragon Knight in there and leave them to their own devices, unless itI did not use any core troops other thab them. Really, its up to you, but I may use them, I'd also think about Amdur as his rampage can do well for them, Suladan is another possiblity, personally I wouldn't use Sully for easterlings though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:40 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Why not but Sully in with the Easterlings?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Oh, it's just a matter of personal preference, I like the look of the mounted version so put it in cavalry, cavalry are good with an ES hero, and Easterlings don't need him is all, he doesn't add much.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

A large formation of Easterlings with Pikes makes for an excellent Anvil. Throw either a Captain or a Dragon Knight in and they're good to go. I personally like to add the Knight of Umbar for my Easterlings so my opponent is loath to come at me with high-strength or high-fight units. If you are really worried about enemy archery, Easterlings can laugh off most arrow storms with their D7 unless its from Fallen Realms Arbalesters OR Isengard Crossbow Uruks but you can always throw in the Shadow Lord to make enemy archery even weaker.
There is also that on Fate... I think its Armour of Udun... anyways it increases defense by 1 so D8 Easterling Pikemen led by a Dragon Knight = :D
NotLegolasJustTipsy wrote:
Are the Harad warriors not really useful then? Would you just stick with Formations of easterlings as your troops?

Haradrim Warriors are highly useful, the key is the composition of the units. A nice big block of Haradrim archers firing arrows into anyone attacking an Easterling 'anvil' formation or shredding monsters is always a nice thing to have. Heck, use them as a short-range 'hammer formation and counter-charging everyone who charges the Easterlings.

NotLegolasJustTipsy wrote:
Why not but Sully in with the Easterlings?

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Oh, it's just a matter of personal preference, I like the look of the mounted version so put it in cavalry, cavalry are good with an ES hero, and Easterlings don't need him is all, he doesn't add much.

Also Fluff. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm thinking of building a Fallen Realms army, we generally play about a 1000-1500 point game, what would u guys suggest I collect to make a good solid army? The other guys I play have Mordor / Gondor armies.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:48 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

1000 and 1500 are very different, i'm not surprised they use mordor and gondor. Here's 1000pts:
Epic Heroes:
Khamul
Suladan

Common Formations:
Easterling Cohort (4 companies)
Easterling Cohort (4 comapnies)
Haradrim Raider Warband (3 companies)
Haradrim Raider Warband (3 companies)

Rare Formations:
Corsair Arbalesters (3 companies)
Mumak

Total pts; 990, formations: 6, comapnies: 18, mt pts: 4

To make 1,500pts, add the Betrayer (or suitable wraith), 4 comps of Morgul Knights, 4 comps of Harad with bows, give all Easterlings pikes and one of them a Dragon knight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

General Elessar wrote:
Here's some tips for constructing a Fallen Realms army. First, include Khamul. Full-stop. Second, Mumaks are very destructive if used properly. However, they are very expensive; I wouldn't consider them essential, but they're worth taking. Thirdly, Arbalesters are also very good and relatively cheap. Like Khamul, these are pretty much a no-brainer.

How do you use Mumak's properly?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Easterling with Pikes led by a Dragon Knight? Would that be fight 8 or fight 5 with Dragon knight boosting it to 7?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The Dragon Knights company would be fight 8, thus will most likey gain attacks (his foght is only 7 in duels though).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanx Gothmog, so would just the dragon Knights company be 8 but the formation as a whole be 7?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

No. The whole formation would be fight 5 but the Dragon Knight's company would have fight 8.