All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 4:42 pm

Post subject: Durin's Folk (SBG 400pts)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:00 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have a 400pt battle scheduled with a friend this weekend. He's most likely playing a Gondor or Moria/Isengard army list. We have a long standing 'feud' over who is the greater tactician that has been going on since early 2009. So far all our battles have been either phyrric victories or stalemates as our tactics and troop choices have changed. I would like to win a decisive victory and so have changed tactics yet again. Here is the list:

Heroes 65 pts
Dwarf Captain w/ Two-Hand Axe

Warriors 334 pts
2 Khazad Guard
6 Dwarf Warriors w/ Two-Hand Axes
8 Dwarf Warriors w/ Shields
8 Dwarf Warriors w/ Dwarf bows
2 Dwarven Ballistas

29 models, 2 Might, 8 Dwarf Bows, 399 points.

My deployment plan is to deploy my Captain, Khazad Guard and Warriors w/ 2HW in the center, the Ballistas flanking the battle line while the other dwarf warriors would be split into two shieldwall-style formations flanking the Ballistas.

The battle plan is to use the Ballistas in a early attempt to disrupt his phalanx/shieldwall(he never plays without one) or to devastate his cavalry (if he plays Gondor). As he advances, I'll move up the flanking shieldwall to get in a couple close range shots while the Ballistas continue their attempt. Once he closes in, all my warriors save those with bows will charge in while those with bows will take out other targets. Dwarf Captain will use Might to Heroic Fight in attempts to rout the enemy quickly.

A big part of my battle plan relies on my Ballistas so I'd rather not drop them if I can, I also want to show my opponent that tight formations are not everything. What does everyone suggest for improving my force composition and/or improving my battle plan?

Post subject: Re: Durin's Folk (SBG 400pts)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:25 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Your Dwarves with bows should be all you need to guard the ballista's. That way you can keep them back a bit farther and to one side, then have the shield wall with your front line.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:39 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

you need spears, I suggest you ally in some warriors of arnor with dunadain to lead them. Just use warriorrs of Minas-tirith as proxies.
Also, your numbers are quite low. maybe You should drop only one of the balista, but off course your tactic depends on it.
About your tactic: looks good! 8) but make sure you don't split up your troops.

hope this helps a bit 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If your tactics are focused on your artillery, then perhaps it would be a good idea to ally in some other artillery (ideally a Gondor Avenger Bolt Thrower). Having different types of artillery will be a lot more versatile, and therefore more effective. It's not a particularly thematic idea, but it might work. Here's an example list:

Dwarf Captain - 60pts
Dwarf Ballista - 60pts
10 Khazad Guard - 110pts

Beregond - 25pts
Avenger Bolt Thrower with swift reload - 90pts
6 Warriors of Minas Tirith with spear and shield - 54pts

Total: 399pts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

General Elessar wrote:
If your tactics are focused on your artillery, then perhaps it would be a good idea to ally in some other artillery (ideally a Gondor Avenger Bolt Thrower). Having different types of artillery will be a lot more versatile, and therefore more effective. It's not a particularly thematic idea, but it might work.

Hmmm, hadn't thought of allying in the Avenger Bolt Thrower. It is, however, more expensive than my Ballista once upgraded. Will it be as effective at disrupting an enemy formation? I've never used an Avenger so I'm not sure it would be as effective as it could be.

fritskuhntm wrote:
you need spears, I suggest you ally in some warriors of arnor with dunadain to lead them. Just use warriorrs of Minas-tirith as proxies.

Agreed, I definitely could use some spears. Problem is I have very few intact Warriors of Minas Tirith with spears as I tend to use them to convert my Easterlings, Haradrim and Rohirrim. :roll: Would Warriors of Rohan work nearly as well or no?

Draugluin wrote:
Your Dwarves with bows should be all you need to guard the ballista's. That way you can keep them back a bit farther and to one side, then have the shield wall with your front line.

Really? I would've expected more troops would be needed on either flank. Makes sense though, trying to focus on his main formation in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wrriors of rohan with throwing spears would not be as good as womt, however perhaps getting some outriders in would not hurt.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

WayUnderTheMountain wrote:
Draugluin wrote:

Really? I would've expected more troops would be needed on either flank. Makes sense though, trying to focus on his main formation in the first place.

Of course, they literally are the same as your normal warriors. 6 defence with a dwarf bow is more than enough to hold off anything less than a troll on their own. Even troll would go down eventually. Especially if they're supported by 2 ballista.

Last edited by Draugluin on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:
If your tactics are focused on your artillery, then perhaps it would be a good idea to ally in some other artillery (ideally a Gondor Avenger Bolt Thrower). Having different types of artillery will be a lot more versatile, and therefore more effective. It's not a particularly thematic idea, but it might work.

Hmmm, hadn't thought of allying in the Avenger Bolt Thrower. It is, however, more expensive than my Ballista once upgraded. Will it be as effective at disrupting an enemy formation? I've never used an Avenger so I'm not sure it would be as effective as it could be.

I would expect the Dwarf Ballista to do a better job at "disrupting" your opponent's formation, as it propels its target backwards, but the Bolt Thrower would probably kill more.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:48 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

General Elessar wrote:
General Elessar wrote:

I would expect the Dwarf Ballista to do a better job at "disrupting" your opponent's formation, as it propels its target backwards, but the Bolt Thrower would probably kill more.

Disrupting your opponents line can be as good killing a few extra models, in fact, it can usually be better. If you knock over a few models in a turn, they have to use half their movement in the next turn to get up, forcing your opponent to either reform the shield wall for a turn, or press on regardless. If they do the first, they run the risk of being hit again, further disrupting their lines and letting more get killed by bowfire (evening up the numbers), or if they press on, they have reduced numbers, making them easier to overcome at close range. Not to mention they'll probably kill the same number in each turn, due to the piercing shot rule and the higher strength of the ballista. It's like the difference between Deadly Shot and Sorcerous Blast.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dwarves on warmachine crews shouldn't drink and shoot. It makes their aim horribly inaccurate and therefore almost completely useless.

Last edited by WayUnderTheMountain on Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It's my excuse for my horrible luck with using my Ballistas on Saturday. One of the Ballistas missed four turns in a row. :shock: Almost always a 1 or 2 too. The other did an okay job, it hit twice and both times Uruk-hai went flying. :yay:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well, if you had that kinda luck with a ballista, you would've had about the same luck with a Bolt Thrower.