All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 8:18 pm

Post subject: Re: Dwellers Below/Nazgul 500 Points
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

FireKnife wrote:
Quote:
You don't play a game to lose, you play to win.

Not entirely true, you can play to participate, even if you know you have no chance of winning you can still enter and enjoy yourself. You don't always play to win.

This is again a reason to play. The objective of any game is to win. That's what games are. They could be social gatherings or something else (where the reason, the whole point is to have fun), but they are competitions. In competitions, the objective is to win. If there is no objective, a win condition, than it is not a game; It is just merely people hanging out and rolling dice.

I'd like to add to what fritskuhntm said.

There's this one guy at our GW that absolutely creams me each and every time I play him. He takes the filthiest lists there are (though no Teclis, he actually has a soul), with the most 'over powered' models, and simply wipes the people he plays. The thing is though, he's one of the best people I have ever met. I have yet to play a game against him that I didn't enjoy myself (granted, it does suck to see our army picked apart piecemeal).

And he gives me a challenge. I like playing against people I know can beat me easily. I learn from it. There's a huge difference from walking in a new store, claiming to be the best, and tabling your opponent without breaking a sweat. That is how you will not gain friends. Then again, that was all attitude. If you're a cocky person and play through the game with an uptight, arrogant look on your face, they end up kicking you out.

But if you walk into a store, make nice to the people, hang out, chat, laugh, all that good social stuff, and then say "Hey, I have this new awesome list I really want to try out. I think it's pretty optimal, but I just really want to find out." and then play a game while still being friendly and nice, then you get to play a highly competitive list and still keep a friend.
 Post subject: Re: Dwellers Below/Nazgul 500 Points
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I agree with both sides of the argument people are making

yes I'd like to enjoy the game and I'd prefer it if my opponent was to enjoy it too, however, what is the point in fielding an army that is not competitive? surely you have to set out to win, or at least try to