All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:05 pm

Post subject: Re: 1,000-1,500 point rohan force
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

GW really did make it nigh imposdsible to wood elves. With them, there atren't too many options, with galadhrim and high elves you can take infantry with shields, which is ok, but if you want to stick to a strict theme, which is highly recommended, then you shouldn't use them. Also, why are we talking about elves when the original post is about a Rohan army?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:37 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

**thread save**
We are talking about Elves because the OP has them as allies and I agree that Wood Elves with longbows are the second* most useful unit to all in out of their list. Units that can't be shot over 12" and can screen other units? Screen units of Cav? Yes please.

*Assuming there are Rare slots, and there should be because the army is based on common Cav (esp Knights) and common foot, then I'd pay the tiny bit extra to get Sentinels. Could come in handy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Ah, I forget their extra abilities.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My mention of the WE was partly because of ally options and partly because someone earlier posted a mention of an Elf strategy guide that suggested bow over melee and the comments that it wasn't a good tactic. I was point out how in some cases it must be.

And Wood Elf allies for Rohan isn't that far from a possibility. Both Mirkwood and Lothlorien are reasonable marches from Rohan and share a common threat later in the War ( Dol Guldur was a staging point for assaults launched against Lothlorien, Rohan and Erebor ). And having some Elves in there may help the Rohan as well since they (Elves) have Terror and so if you engage common Evil armies that may be lacking an Epic you have a decent chance of them failing their Courage if you charge them. That will go a long way to helping the hitting power of Rohan cavalry.

Rohan's own archers shouldn't be ignored either though. They are cheap enough that you can field two or three Formations of 2-3 Companies each on your flanks without impacting your force composition much. They can add some harassing attention or concentrated fire on a single target that you may want to soften a little. The small Formations can be tucked into some of the smaller terrain pieces you find on many boards and with the extra Defense that gives they become pretty survivable. And the smaller Formation sizes are often easier to slip around the board for better shooting angles, threaten behind-the-lines objectives or perhaps get in a rear or flank charge. None of these will win the game for you (no one will ever say Rohan archers are a game winning option), but success with the "softer" armies in WotR is usually a multi-layered event.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Also, they have probably the worst cavalry in the game, KoMT, Morgul Knights, Harad Raiders and warg riders are all better, the Royal Knights are probably the better cavalry in Rohan.

You are absoultly right, quite frankly for the "best" cav in the game their all Devlan Mud. yer their ok but why not just get galadrhim riders with higher fight, terror, roughly same defence and get this also have expert riders which is stupid.

If I wrote the rules for rohan I would make it that all rohan mounted forces get +1 strength on the charge and perhaps even an unstoppable charge on a 5+. this would then make all the cav formation more expensive however, but arent they meant to be horse lords and none can stand agaisnt their mounted chrages right??

I only collect a rohan force becasue their look amazing and their colour scheme is realistic and exciting.
Other than that im dissapointed with the rohan rules and stats their mounted cavalry should all be as strong as dol amroth or stronger.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi I'm a Ent. The most significant ability 'bang for buck' wise for cavalry is the simple Lance. If you have it, you can make something of your cavalry abilities, if you don't you are hampered a fair bit. Having the lance not infrequently doubles your number of hits all on its own and at least tends to add +50%. Rohan can also achieve some nifty things by involving Theoden (and Epic Charge for 'free') in the charge alongside the likes of Deorwine to cause terror and/or Erkenbrand to Duel enemy heroes.

Since Rohan can get cavalry with lances for 35pts as a common choice and they are actually pretty nice with def 5(6), I'd tend to suggest that Rohan players leave aside being 'virtuous' (afterall, lame players like ME are using Wraiths!) and just treat the whole lot of their Cav as 'counts as' Royal Knights with perhaps a few units modeled differently to be horse archers. I don't personally like horse archers in this game though and the Rohan infantry is not a bad alternative to them either.

So overall, not too bad a list but definitely (and Angmar is the same in this regard, for instance) a case of just taking the better units over the worse ones. The reality is that your better units get you on to about the level of many other lists' standard units. Luckily the Knights are at least common!

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Xelee wrote:
Luckily the Knights are at least common!

Very true. you also right about lances without them its arguable wiether theres any point in listing them an army.

the theoden strategy i have used before in a battle and yes that it very good. basicly the whole formation will have fight 7 just like high elves with glaves.( if somebody doesnt understand,theoden grants his whole formation his fight value, then with the epic chare = 2+ to all companies fight value on the charge.

I guess im just annoyed that the entire force should have somthing a little better than just expert rider. The elves get pathfinders(master) and terror whats with that......? and rohan just get expert riders not cool.

just a game but perhaps with a new version of wotr might change things

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:23 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I cannot beleive you are saying thinggs are easier for elves than Rohan, the reason they cause terror is because evil gutyus are scared of them! Have you seen the pts cost of elven units?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Xelee wrote:
One thing I would never take is any of their legendaries, aside from Elfhelm's Riders, which are expensive but quite useful.

im sorry but i dont follow why you would choose these over other legendaries. i guess they have pathfinders master but in my gaming experince we havent realy had that much terrian that has need any pathfinder rules. other than that i would personaly rather some royal knights with lancers and the better defence and courage.\

unless you have used them in smart way ....?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi I'm an Ent, as you know, my position on Rohan is that everyone should be basically just taking Royal Knights as the Cav - through treating all their horse as 'counts as'. However, I've seen Cav be devastating when pathfinders comes into play. This can be achieved though using Radagast or using Elfhelm's boys.

Now, if you have no terrain, then obviously Pathfinders will be less useful. We like to use a bit of terrain to give all troop types (ie Elves) the benefit of their abilities and if there is a piece of defensible terrain around you beat I will be using the interesting space/time warping properties of that piece to the maximum to get the jump on cav. If that cav can just shrug it's shoulders and plow right through it forces me to play much more conservatively. So that is a genuine benefit gained through that one legendary.