All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:42 pm

Post subject: Primers?!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Is it just me or is GW's Skull White primer is always cloudy/misty where their Chaos Black primer is more fluid? I always seem to have a problem with white primers. A cloud of white dust just rolls over my table and out to the floors leaving a mess. I say it has close to a four feet radius from where I target the spray and the cardboard box doesn't withold everything. In fact it is left all dusty in the box while with chaos black would just be smooth paint over the cardboard. At least the minis are left looking smooth and not full of grainy dust particles, most of the time.

Post subject: Re: Primers?!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The White tends to be a bit more "grainy" and the black...well, the black is entirely random, depending on phases of the moon, the weather, the batch. You can get everything from shiny, slimey black finish to grainy and all points in between.

I've had good success with vallejo spray paints...but only on METAL figures. The stuff melts GW plastic figures. So its great for re priming stripped Mithrils...and ambiguous for everything else.

There's a Walmart brand of spray paint that works well for priming (someone else will remember what it is) things like plastic orcs and scenery. For other figures, I just suck it up and manually slobber on Chaos Black.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It just surprises me that the quality isn't always consistent with GW sprays and you firgure they would be for the price they charge. I then switched to another called "Army Painter" but it was worst, or at least the can I had was. I ended up switching back to GW's in the end.

I don't think I can ever do it manually for more than a few models that need to be primed, though it's a reliable way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:48 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I love the Army Painter line. Colored primers are great and the quick shade is the only way I'll ever get any figs actually done.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:01 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I have a couple of Army Painter sprays but the thing seems to fill fine details if I spray for longer than a nanosecond or too close (less than 214 mm) or too far (more than 216 mm). I'm getting the hang of it but there were times when I was seriously thinking of throwing them away. Coloured primers are great when they work, though.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah I'm looking for something that is cheaper than what GW is offering. That is cheaper in price not cheaper in quality. I might give Army Painter a go again, perhaps I only received a deffective can.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've heard lots of bad things about Army Painter all around. Currently Citadel black is my primer of choice - their white is terrible. I used to use Armory white, but that has gone downhill. If I really want to prime something white, I spring for Tamiya, which is just the best model primer I've ever used. I hadn't even finished my first pass with my first can of Tamiya and I already knew it was far superior. It's not the cheapest, though.