All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 4:17 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: 'Paint me an Army' - A Community WIP
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:45 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Alright I would like to reduce my backlog and the only thing that would motivate me is a direct challenge against one or more of my fellow One-Ringers. So here is my challenge:

Starting December 1st and after (with the Hollidays as an obstacle), participants are announced and proof photos are uploaded. Whoever can completely paint and base the most minis based on points and upload the photos, wins. Challenge lasts until the end of December.

The points value of the models painted goes as such:

-Foot model (25mm base) = 1point
-Calvary model/monster (40mm base) & small siege machine (excluding crew) = 2 points
-Large monster (Mordor Troll, The Terror Gulhavar, etc) & siege machine (excluding crew) = 6 points
-Very large monster (Dragon, Cave Drake, Balrog) = 12 points
-Mumakil (excluding crew)= 25 points

Loser(s) must apply the photo below as his profile pic for a full month:
And have this line placed in his signature: "I praise [insert winner's profile name here] as my one and only true God." Also for a full month.

If you're a speed painter you have a major advantage in this challenge. Also if there's any other questions about this challenge or someone would like to debate the point values, feel free and post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm not very fond of the signature idea. It's rather blasphemous to some that would like to participate and who don't want to fearing the consequences of the said signature.
Other than that, it sounds like a great idea. I'd love to participate but am still debating on that one point.

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Fine then, you may be right on the signature deal; for someone who is very religious that might be hard to swallow. How about something that is equally revolting instead for a signature?

"I <3 Justin Bieber."

And we'll have a Bieber profile pic instead and save the oathbreaker pic for the actual oathbreakers from the original topic board.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:48 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That sounds better.
But only slightly. :lol:
Thanks for your kind consideration.

So, if someone decided to paint the Mumak + crew, they would get 25pts + 1pt/crew member(13pts) = 38pts?
Does that sound right? :?

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:49 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sacrilege83 wrote:
And we'll have a Bieber profile pic instead and save the oathbreaker pic for the actual oathbreakers from the original topic board.

How about something that would only punish the loser and not the entire site? :wink:

As for the point system, I agree with Wah Wing, perhaps a mumak should be less points because 38 points with the crew is a hell of a lot. But this is a good idea to motivate people, though I shall not be participating I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:20 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I don't think negative punishment is a good idea.. Some people aren't at the same level and still need time to improve. How about a more constructive punishment (or at least for some people it might be); Most of us like to paint for sure. But what if they had to finish of a bunch of figures in a limited amount of time... This way they learn more by practising. If they lose it could be because of lack of practice... so this way they r punished in a good way... :) Of course they might already have painted alot for this sort of thing...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Count me in. Great chance to tackle my Moria or Easterling army. Been trying to find a reason to go Evil :twisted:

As for the Mumak point cost...make it cost the same as a Large Monster (12), or keep the points the same (25) but include the crew for it to be valid.

Remember the objective of this endeavor: paint and paint and paint some more! :D

- :puppy:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

@Red Corsairs, I was just throwing the points up there to gauge the values, but I will re-adjust with help from other people's opinions. And I do find Bieber to be the best way to shame the loser(s)! Gives that extra motivation not to lose.

@garmenhord, Negative punishment? It's not so bad that I'm like going to buy a plane ticket and travel all the way to, let's say Belgium, to punch the loser in the face. You also lost me a bit with the point on practicing and positive punishment. As for the term "level", in this case it would have to mean speed or fast painting techniques; this is not the painting challenge where you have to over-fluff the base and add on 3- 5 different layers of drybrushing and shading. What's important is that the whole mini is fully painted in detail, meaning eyes, belts. etc. And more importantly painted by your standards in the way you want them to look, this challenge is just motivation to get the work done. I wouldn't want people to become lazy in their painting and go sub standard just to win the challenge.

@ScarpeIron, The crew is separate from the mumak not a whole, better to gauge amount of work done.

-The reason why I placed the Mumakil at so high a value is because it's the largest lotr model GW has, you have to paint the oliphant, howdah, and details on the base. I think it's twice more work than the Dragon and it's hard to complete it within a month. If I over-valued it, then I'll reduce it to let's say 20 points.

-I don't know where to place the Nazgul on Fellbeast. Either in its own category with the Balrog at 10 points, or with the very large monsters at 12 points.

-Eagle: 6 points? Also Terror of Arnor is good at 6 points? I don't exactly know the scale of that model, it appears to be the size of a Mordor Troll.

Opinions? Also there's other models out there that is hard to value such as; Isengard siege mines & ladders, Isengard battring ram including crew, dwarf bolt thrower, lotr scenic ruins, etc. We could get to those once we crossed that bridge.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

ok :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:41 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The Eagle and Terror are good at 6pts. The Fellbeast I would keep it with the Balrog. I have both and both are sitting waiting for me to get to it, but "mass-wise" or "surface" they're about the same.

I can understand the Mumak being the most points.

Bottom line, for 1 month (3 wks for me: vacation between the 26th to the 2nd) its an all-out paint-a-thon. Bragging rights is primo, but the end result is far more important to me...a fully painted battle-force. I have the army list and models primed, photo'd and ready to load up here. Great idea!

Now, I have to get back to my dwarves :)

- :puppy:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

^Oh I'm going to have to ask you to photo them on December 1st or maybe the night before when I post up the official starting post, where you take pictures of your models in front of a screen, or newspaper with the date. Don't want anybody with a head start. But then again usually over at the painting challenge things aren't picky with the proof photo being dated by a paper or forum post.

Anyway glad to have you aboard, seems like there's going to be a lot of Bieber lovers for the new year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:05 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I reckon I'll be in this as well. :D It sounds like fun!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So the start of the challenge will commence in a couple of more days. As it stands right now the challenge is: Whoever paints the most within December wins bragging rights, all other losers must suffer the embarrassment of the Bieb. That's what has been agreed upon thus far. Or we could do one of the following options if I can get at least three members agreeing before the start of the challenge:

1) Only the participant with the least amount of points for the month must suffer The Bieb.

2) Fixed amount of points to be completed for the month. So say that the bar is set at 10 points for the month of December, whoever can't meet the requirement by the end of the month must suffer The Bieb. If at least one member meets the requirement, the bar gets raised by 5 points more the following month and continues so on until a member can't complete it, the challenge resets back to 10 points.

We can keep things as is, but I prefer option number 2. I would like to hear from participants about the ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bieb Challenge

Participants
    ScarpeIron
    Wah Wing
    Elros of Numenor
    Sacrilege83
    Dead Marsh Spectre

As of December 1st and thereafter a participant can enter any time up until December 15th. The challenge ends January 1st at this same hour this was posted. Participants must announce they're taking part in the challenge and provide entry proof photos that can be dated to the month of December, models can already be assembled and primed just not painted. Once you enter you can't back out so think it through for a long while before participating. Whoever can completely paint and base the most minis based on points and upload the proof photos of the finished work, wins. This challenge is made to reduce backlog and is separate from the Paint Me An Army WIP, but still counts towards it for the people who are keeping score (which I think it may be no one). Those that want to normally participate in the Community WIP without being in the challenge can do so normally, just don't reply to the Bieb Challenge stating you're participating in it.

The point values of the models painted goes as such:

-Foot model (25mm base), horseless rider, riderless mount (40mm base) = 1point
-Calvary model/monster (40mm base) & small siege machine (excluding crew) = 2 points
-Large monster (Mordor Troll, The Terror Gulhavar, Eagle etc) & siege machine (excluding crew) = 6 points
-Flying Nazgul & Balrog = 8 points
-Very large monster (Dragon, Cave Drake) = 12 points
-Mumakil (excluding crew)= 20 points

The quality of the paint job and base work is not judged, but it is expected that every detail is painted to the fullest with more than three colors applied on the model. We don't want to see any primed models with small amounts of colour posted up here as finished!

Loser(s) must apply the photo below as the profile pic for the full month of January:

As well as apply the following line in their profile signature for a full month:
I <3 Justin Bieber

Participants must apply the consequences of the Bieb if one of the following apply:
    1) You fail to meet the challenge's points quota which is: 10 points must be completed.
    2) You've entered the challenge, but failed to provide any proof photos of your finished work on time.
    3) You finish dead last in points, even if you made the challenge's points quota. (This guarantees someone will suffer the consquences of the Bieb)
    4) You've resigned from the challenge. Likely because the going got tough.
    5) You've completed 100+ points which sets off a nuclear Bieber blast that turns every other participant who hasn't scored a hundred into a Bieber lover.
Failure to comply with these consequences will ban you from future challenges and will gain you the reputation on these boards as a member that doesn't keep his word. OOOOoooooOOOOooooohhhhhh. :P
Unless you take up the charge later, then one can be allowed to enter again.

If there's any questions, ask away or any suggestions, criticisms or ideas at all for future challenges let them be read!

Last edited by Sacrilege83 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:16 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

So........ If I were to enter and paint like a maniac all month and get 70 points and someone else got 108 say ... then I'd still be a Bieber lover?

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:20 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

plus that Bieber profile pic is absolutely AWFUL lol

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yep, but what are the chances of that happening? You have to be very motivated, especially over the holidays to be with friends and family, to paint up a storm of 100 points to turn everyone else into a Bieber. But it's a fun fitting reward for reaching the 100 mark. There has to be some motivation for painting as much as you can, as well as motivation for painting to not finish last in points, and at last the points quota giving motivation to at least do some actual work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ok and proof pics and finished results to be posted in this thread ?

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:37 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ok Ok I'm in Bieber lovers .. I won't upload any proof pics I'll just take the proof pics and then upload them all at the end. Get used to the Bieber avatar guys your all going to be looking at it for a month ( hopefully not with DMS written below it) :rofl: I have a really bad feeling about this!!!!!

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oh so you're going to be sneaky about just how many you will do? I should make a ruling about that for next time. Not helping to motivate others to reduce their backlog :P... So yes post your proof picks in this thread. I'm officially counting you in now... no backing out! Backing out now will result in Bieber consequences...

I'm busy priming your 2 castellans right now, then I'm heading to my local hobby shop to pick up my Finecrap Dragon for the December painting Challenge, also to be entered into this as well. 2 birds 1 stone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next