All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 7:33 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: new finecast coming soon!!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:44 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Sacrilege83 wrote:
You don't like the Dark Marshal model (in general)? I think he looks the coolest out of all the named Wraiths, except WK of course. For some reason he reminds me of those artist interpretations of the Witchking, the ones before the films were released or maybe during.

How on earth do you guys like that awful model, i wouldn't mind if it was the W-K but that dreadful model looks nothing like a Ringwraith, he doesn't even have sleeves, a decent cloak or his hood up, that's not a Ringwraith, it's a Black Numenorean Lord whose had his head knocked off.

The best wraiths are the Witch-king, the Tainted, the Undying and the Dwimmerlaik. The Shadow Lord is ok, as are the Knight and Khamul, Betrayer is the second worse.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:44 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Need I remind you that the actual WK (in the book) during the Battle of Pelennor Fields had no hood, no mask, and the only thing on his (invisible) head was a crown. Not a War Mask or whatever, a crown. Considering that the DM is supposed to be the ghost of a Black Numenorean Lord, he basically is a "Black Numenorean Lord whose had his head knocked off". The DM does actually have an awesome looking cloak. I will say that the Betrayer is kinda dumb.I don't mind his turban, but everytime I see him, he's in bright colors. Now that is un Nazgulish.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

May I remind you that the Dark Marshal is not the Witch-king, annd as said, I wouldn't've minded the model if it was the Witch-king, but the Dark Marshal is not the Witch-king, thus he shiuld not look less wraith-like, the W-K is supposed to be the one that stands out the most, and to me, the Dark Marshal stands out like a sore thumb, the model doesn't look like a ghost of a Black numenorean, or a wraith, he looks like a living Black Numenorean whose forgotten his head. The Betrayer isn't supposed to be painted in bright colours, i got the model, painted it dark, and it still looks less wraith-like on foot (despicable), the thing that makes it slightly better than that horrible 'dark marshal' is that the Betrayer's mounted pose is quite wraith-like whereas the DM looks like he should be a Black Numenorean Marshal / Morgul Knight Commander, no wraith but the W-K looks like that, thus the model is dreadful for what it is (now I wouldn't mind it if either a. it was the W-K, b. converted into a Black Numenorean Marshal, c. converted into a Black Numenorean version of Gothmog, or d. was a Castellan of Dol Guldor Chief)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If only they had made the Witch King the strongest wraith in the game... :D
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:00 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
he looks like a living Black Numenorean whose forgotten his head.

I think that the fact that he has no head would qualify him as a wraith. I never said he was the WK, I was just giving an example to show that Nazgul didn't always wear hoods. The fact that they are supposed to be "War Ringwraiths" means that they would wear fewer robes and more armor. He looks like he is commanding a group of BN in battle, which, with the backstory given him, makes complete sense.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Like I said earlier, I prefer if the named wraiths departed more from their disguised riders dressed in black. Otherwise what's the point? I agree with Draugluin that they should be more "War Ringwraiths" dressed in armour rather than in robes. I'm pretty sure the DM is suppose to be some kind of homage to John Howe's earlier works of the Witchking, and not some design coincidence, it would explain its popularity.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:08 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

My point is that the DM is not the Witch-king, that design would be fine for the Ringwraith's Cheiftain, or for a Castellan Captain etc, but he looks more distinct than the Witch-king and he could only be 3rd of 4th in command at most. Alright maybe they should have armour, but the DM could at least have the same cloak as the others rather than just half a cloack. It's like the DM couldn't be bothered to make himself creepy-looking enough, and I don't want a lazy wraith who thinks hes in charge of the W-K. If they wanted to copy John Howe's excellent artwork, either re-dp the W-K or Khamul, not make some other thing like its a pretender, the only usefulness of that is if the W-K sees Eowyn poking around, and puts the DM as hisbodyguard double so he gets killed instead. So in other words, he's only good for being destroyed. (Stupid showoffgy person who thinks he's a wraith). You know, it took me ages to work out that he was even meant to be a RW, and if I hadn't seen the Shadow Lord, would probably have been guessing for even longer. When the Finecast version of the DM came out and it said Ringwraith in brackets after his name, I thought it was because the model looked so unwraith-like that they had to tell people who've never seen it that it was actually meant to be a RW, and that view only changed with the FC release of the W-K.

You can't have a 'Warrior' who looks more distinct than hhis 'Captain', you might as well use the Amdur model to represent an Easterling Warrior, and a metal Easterling Warrior to represent Amdur. Or Suladan to represent a Serpent Guard, and a Sepent Guard to represent Suladan etc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I myself always found that Robin was cooler than Batman!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

NOOOOOoooooo! I just received a call from my hobby retail dealer and my Dragon just came in, but in FINECAST!!! Aaah damn it. Good news is that I won't have to pay any price increase from the time I ordered it. I could still reject it if I want, but it'll likely be hard for me to come across getting a metal Dragon. So I'll settle once I open it up in store and check the quality out. Better not melt on me during the summer!

btw the previous post above was sarcasm for those who care.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
May I remind you that the Dark Marshal is not the Witch-king, annd as said, I wouldn't've minded the model if it was the Witch-king, but the Dark Marshal is not the Witch-king, thus he shiuld not look less wraith-like, the W-K is supposed to be the one that stands out the most, and to me, the Dark Marshal stands out like a sore thumb, the model doesn't look like a ghost of a Black numenorean, or a wraith, he looks like a living Black Numenorean whose forgotten his head. The Betrayer isn't supposed to be painted in bright colours, i got the model, painted it dark, and it still looks less wraith-like on foot (despicable), the thing that makes it slightly better than that horrible 'dark marshal' is that the Betrayer's mounted pose is quite wraith-like whereas the DM looks like he should be a Black Numenorean Marshal / Morgul Knight Commander, no wraith but the W-K looks like that, thus the model is dreadful for what it is (now I wouldn't mind it if either a. it was the W-K, b. converted into a Black Numenorean Marshal, c. converted into a Black Numenorean version of Gothmog, or d. was a Castellan of Dol Guldor Chief)

I totally agree, though I think then Knight of Umbar (aka Numenorean Captain), Khamul (he's GOT A BLOODY FACE) and the Dwimmerlaik (how on earth could you confuse "LOTR" with "WFB") to the list, and to a lesser extent just all of them, none, except the Witch King look like the Ringwraiths that were shown in the film and/or described int the book, and only the Undying looks remotely like a Nazgûl at all. And you just gave me an awesome conversion idea... (not gonna happen the next 20 years or so, but still, the idea is there. :D )

:puppy:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

So, Gothmog, the flaming sword and the GIANT flail don't make the WK stand out enough? And somehow having a smaller cloak than the rest of the Nazgul makes the DM MORE noticable?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sacrilege83 wrote:
NOOOOOoooooo! I just received a call from my hobby retail dealer and my Dragon just came in, but in FINECAST!!! Aaah damn it. Good news is that I won't have to pay any price increase from the time I ordered it. I could still reject it if I want, but it'll likely be hard for me to come across getting a metal Dragon. So I'll settle once I open it up in store and check the quality out. Better not melt on me during the summer!

If you're getting the Finecast Dragon at a discount then I would keep it. It'll be a hell of a lot easier to assemble than a metal one too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

King Ondoher wrote:
Sacrilege83 wrote:

If you're getting the Finecast Dragon at a discount then I would keep it. It'll be a hell of a lot easier to assemble than a metal one too.

LOOL at least you have a dragon :( I think I will order 1 too... finecast or not would be good to have one 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

@Telchar, thank you for some sense around here. I agree that the DM, the Betrayer and the KoU are bad (although the DM looks more Black Numenorean-esque than the KoU), Khamul, well he is the 2nd in command so needs to stand out a little, as long as he isn't given ridiculously bright colours he's fine. The Dwimmerlaik on horse is a little iffy, but on foot he's one of my abolute faves. Coincidntly, so is the Undying.

@Draugluin, no the flaming sword and the GIANT flail don't make the WK stand out enough compared to the DM, since he can only have one or the other and because a weapon takes only a small pirtion of the model (even the flail), the body stands out very little, in fact after the Tainted and the Undying he probably stands out the leat. The DM's smaller cloak is bad because a. it is different to every other wraith and more similiar to Black Numenorean (which 'coincidently' in the WOTR rules manuel, in the mega-PF battle, the DM model on foot is used as a BN Marshal, and the mounted one as a MK Commander) and that more of his armour is visable, and that is what no wraith save the W-K should be, its like the DM is ashamed he's a wraith.

@All, sorry about this, back to the FC thread please, @Chris, good to see someone buying FC, I may consider the dragon in future.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Chris wrote:
LOOL at least you have a dragon :( I think I will order 1 too... finecast or not would be good to have one 8)

Yeah well that's it. I am happy that I finally have a Dragon. Always wanted one but always held out because of the price. Too bad I couldn't catch it before it converted over to Finecast, but whatever. I'm off to pick it up now, I'll see if I can assemble it tonight and post up a proof pic for the December painting challenge if Red Corsairs gets it up.

First time I'm going to be working with this resin, any suggestions for assembling, cutting and cleaning off mould lines? I'm just going to do my usual exacto knife work and then super glue it together.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:06 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Trimming and mold lines trim off easy with a knife - just make sure you check the model for bubbles before you leave the shop... superglues fine too :)

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks man, I'll be posting tonight, if I can pick up new batteries for my camera as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well here it is, now it's time to cut it up and assemble it.
When doing my visual scan as thuroughly as possible I only spotted one insignificant air bubble near the horn of one of the wings, fits in quite naturally. If it was some other model where it would not make sense, like King Elessar's armour I would cringe just a little bit.

Anyway my retailer was explaining about the crisper detail and that when new materials get tried out it takes time to perfect and that people shouldn't worry so much. Well wether Finecast is great or not, I still love my metals.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:19 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sacrilege83 wrote:
When doing my visual scan as thuroughly as possible I only spotted one insignificant air bubble near the horn of one of the wings, fits in quite naturally. If it was some other model where it would not make sense, like King Elessar's armour I would cringe just a little bit.

Anyway my retailer was explaining about the crisper detail and that when new materials get tried out it takes time to perfect and that people shouldn't worry so much. Well wether Finecast is great or not, I still love my metals.

well a metal dragon would cost a fortune!!! Is to big :shock:

Cant wait to see it painted :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:07 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
well a metal dragon would cost a fortune!!! Is to big :shock:

Cant wait to see it painted :)

Lol, chris, the Finecast dragon costs $11 (US) more than the metal dragon!

I too miss metal, but if I were given the option of purchasing a metal or Finecast dragon for the same price, I would go with Finecast; it would be so much easier to assemble and transport. Sorry you didn't get the dragon you wanted, Sacrilege; at least you got one! Enjoy and I can't wait to see it painted up :)
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next