All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 10:31 pm

Post subject: New Elf Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi everybody!
I am about to start playing War of the Ring (and maybe also SBG) with a friend, and I'm going to play Elven Kingdoms (and he'll start Fallen Realms). I am thinking about starting with some Galadhrim warriors and Haldir (I've heard he should be good while not too expensive). ANY kind of suggestions are welcome, such as what I should use, what will be effective against Fallen Realms and any other starting tips.
Thank you in advance
 Post subject: Re: New Elf Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi elven lord
I'm still quite a new player myself usually I play gondor , and really enjoy playing the game . I've amassed a good collection of troops for gondor and like you was also think to branch out and collect elves as a second army.... Beware !! Please read the following link viewtopic.php?f=88&t=21979
You don't have to read it all , page 3 I think has what will interest you the most .
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome Elven Lord, that's currently my favourite army (second to Mahud...I just like the way they look). You can make a fun army of just Galadhrim, but eventually I think you'll find a mix of Galadhrim and wood elves to be most effective.

The D5 from the shields is helpful against Harad shooting. The blades aren't as useful, a mix of 1/3rd bows (always max bows), 1/2 spear and shield, and 1/6th blades is a decent ratio...too bad the box of warriors doesn't reflect that. Also enjoy using the Guards with pikes. Stack them behind Rumil and watch monsters fall...

Hope you enjoy your elves!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Galadhrim cavalry are expensive, but have special rules that allow for good tactics. Haldir with 2 bow shots plus spear & pike support can get you that extra kill or two that will win you Contest of Champions. I love the D6 of High Elves, but can't beat the versatility of Galadhrim.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:04 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Elven Lord, keep in mind the prior comment were for SBG, not WotR.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:06 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Elven Lord wrote:
Hi everybody!
I am about to start playing War of the Ring (and maybe also SBG) with a friend, and I'm going to play Elven Kingdoms (and he'll start Fallen Realms). I am thinking about starting with some Galadhrim warriors and Haldir (I've heard he should be good while not too expensive). ANY kind of suggestions are welcome, such as what I should use, what will be effective against Fallen Realms and any other starting tips.
Thank you in advance

Which Fallen Realms force does he/she want? The tactics will change completely whether they want Harad vs Easterlings. I know a Fallen Realms army can have both, but what does he want to start off with?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the replies, all of you!
My friend will play Haradrim, but maybe he will get some Easterlings too...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

As for basic elven advice, one really cannot go wrong with large blocks of Galdhrim with shield as the core of your army for War of the Ring. Though I personally would use Celeborn as the leader.

In the SBG, Galadhrim are also wonderful, no doubt one of my most successful armies (second to the Grey Company, tying with Dol Amroth and Isengard), and they have that remarkable ability to put up a great fight against anything.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Valamir wrote:
As for basic elven advice, one really cannot go wrong with large blocks of Galdhrim with shield as the core of your army for War of the Ring. Though I personally would use Celeborn as the leader.

In the SBG, Galadhrim are also wonderful, no doubt one of my most successful armies (second to the Grey Company, tying with Dol Amroth and Isengard), and they have that remarkable ability to put up a great fight against anything.

I'd use Galadriel as my leader, not Celeborn.

@Elven Lord. How many points are you aiming at?

:puppy:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@ Telchar Mmm. The point is good, though I have always been one who prefers to have men as my warriors. The reason I suggest Celeborn is that he is basically a combination of both Galadriel profiles, for a very decent points value. While, granted, he does not excel in either area like one of his wife's aspects, he still has a formidable little array of abilities, and with F7, he doesn't roll over in duels, even to ES heroes. But, then again, neither does the War Aspect of Galadriel. Though the magical one is more useful.

If you are not opposed, and have either the cash or modeling ability, I would include a formation of high-elves with shields, as they are the primary D7 warriors you can muster from the normally somewhat-squishy elven list (having played elves frequently myself, I know this). And Galadhrim Cavalry are not to be sniffed at- a friend has some, and they tend to own the battlefield, as they are very hard to catch.