All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: I dont think I like finecast :(
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You can also find a good amount of metal miniatures on Amazon, for anyone looking to snag some.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
Your best bets ebay for metals

Will probably keep an eye out on ebay actually, I got some unopened Easterlings fairly cheaply on there recently. Amazon isn't a bad shout either, couldn't see many metals but they had cheaper boxed sets which I didn't expect to see on there.

Just been looking at some of these finecast models on the GW website and I genuinely thought they were plastic until I saw finecast next to them. I suppose finecast helps with larger kits but there isn't really any need to change the smaller figures.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

yep just wish the head of GW could see this. Plus finecast wouldnt be a TOTAL FAIL, fail yes but not fully haha.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think on the first wave of Finecast releases the quality control was not very good, GW was trying to get as many out as possible in a short time to prevent leakages and rumors. However, I have recently bought 3 40k Finecast models (Techmarine with servitors, Draigo and Librarian) and the detail is great and it has been totally fine in regards to breakages. Wasn't too much flash either.

I think GW really shot themselves in the foot (they never learn do they :P) when releasing so many in a short period time.

Maybe have another shot at buying a kit and see how it goes, I guess it depends on the individual models and casting though.

Cyndra the Grey

My General WIP
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I share mixed feelings about fincast (or finecast). I agree there is no point to fincast the smaller metal characters, but large would be a good thing. Bubbles, warped figures and the fact that the material itself is too brittle, are flaws I can't ignore. I'm also trying to stock up the smaller metal minitatures, because a spear or a sword in fincast breaks too easily. It's just plain annoying. However, GW costumer service is great, just got a Sslyth replaced. On the other hand, it looked worse than the first, being warped and full of bubbles.. but at least their comstumer service is good, that's the point.

I hope they do not change the range to all fincast, unless they change the material into something more durable. Again this may end up in a price raise, worst case scenario. See you on eBay guys, and may the best bid win!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I just have to wonder, once GW switches their whole entire metal range to finecast, how well is the company going to fair?

Is their gaming population going to increase or decrease? Most likely decrease. It already has decreased in my area from what I can tell. People are switching over to Hordes/Warmachines.

Are they going to still earn a profit with their higher prices and with the clients that they keep? Likely also or maybe just keep above of the red.

Will they get new clients into their products? Don't really know, but I can't think that they would given the prices and quality of their current product. Even if the quality is great, they've made it financially hard to start up, especially the way the world economy is going.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

IMHO people will always come back to GW games if they played them in the plast. The plastic crak is too hard to give away/sell. Moving to a different army/game system is just a way to bring in variety. Now with some other good systems floating about, that a reasonably priced, those who want a change will not buy another army but will switch to another game system.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sacrilege83 wrote:
I just have to wonder, once GW switches their whole entire metal range to finecast, how well is the company going to fair?

Is their gaming population going to increase or decrease? Most likely decrease. It already has decreased in my area from what I can tell. People are switching over to Hordes/Warmachines.

Are they going to still earn a profit with their higher prices and with the clients that they keep? Likely also or maybe just keep above of the red.

Will they get new clients into their products? Don't really know, but I can't think that they would given the prices and quality of their current product. Even if the quality is great, they've made it financially hard to start up, especially the way the world economy is going.

I'm sure they're just hanging on until the Hobbit film comes out. Then they will use the cost savings they have with Finecast to make the Middle Earth range profitable again.

The game will die for good about 3 years after the last Hobbit move, mind.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:

Will people just stop moaning all the time about GW??? Just look forward to the bloody hobbit films! How do you know that they will die for good. They have lasted 8 years after LOTRs came out and even though they are not at their peak, LOTR is still a major game and compared to other companies is far more popular!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ouch, I hope you guys got your Ringwraiths a while ago, because their new Finecast boxed set re-incarnation costs a very unreasonable $74.25 (US)...and I think that's one of the major reasons I don't like Finecast. For all of its potential and quality, its just so expensive!

@Sticky Fingersss, I'm super hyped for The Hobbit films, very much looking forward to brand new miniatures!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
Quote:

Will people just stop moaning all the time about GW??? Just look forward to the bloody hobbit films! How do you know that they will die for good. They have lasted 8 years after LOTRs came out and even though they are not at their peak, LOTR is still a major game and compared to other companies is far more popular!

It's just coming to the realisation that the GW hobby is getting more and more expensive and that the quality of their Finecast products are in question. Those are major differences now that some of us here believe that will effect the GW Hobby in a few years and not for the greater good.

I'll likely pick up Hobbit miniatures, plastic or Finecast, when I happen to find liquidation sales or second hand. The original retail price of these miniatures are going to be way too high, and that's not moaning, that's a fact.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Bought the fellowahip when they were released and finished painting them this week! They were great to paint.
Yes i had some work to do straightening out the swords etc, and a bit of greenstuff for a mould slippage (not much gandalfs arm), though much happier as i broke the end off legolas's bow and it glues back alot easier than metal ever did. Used hot water to straighten the swords.
So wee bit more work, but more rewarding painting experience.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Jamros wrote:
Ouch, I hope you guys got your Ringwraiths a while ago, because their new Finecast boxed set re-incarnation costs a very unreasonable $74.25 (US)...and I think that's one of the major reasons I don't like Finecast. For all of its potential and quality, its just so expensive!

Funny you should mention that, I've just picked them up from ebay for a bargain price of £11 (in metal). To put that into perspective the metal box cost £41 and finecast is £49 over here. Well pleased with that, now I'm not missing too much at all that I want in metal.

On GW changing all metals to finecast, I went into my local GW for the first time in several years the other day and I was quite disappointed that they no longer stock the metals on the shelves and you can only order through the website. Only reason I went in there was to buy some metals.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:26 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

CaptainOfTheWhiteTower wrote:
On GW changing all metals to finecast, I went into my local GW for the first time in several years the other day and I was quite disappointed that they no longer stock the metals on the shelves and you can only order through the website. Only reason I went in there was to buy some metals.

Same here. I went into GW Bournemouth, looked around and when the GW lacky pounced on me I asked "Where are all the blisters"? He said, "you can only order them from the webstore now, but that's no problem as we can do that right now and get it sent straight to your door." :roll: I replied "yeh brilliant, but I can do that from my own pc at home thanks" and then walked out shaking my head.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

me and a mate bought a freind a finecast dragon for his birthday just 2 days ago, he's new to the hobby, i asked him to show me the model, it was exciting. I look at the wings, torso, legs and the details was very impressive and no bubbles, only a bit of flashing on the dragons hide. I was impressed this time! yay for finecast, but not yay for the cost :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As a data point, I just got a blister of Berserkers in finecast and they're fine. The miscasts are annoying, but GW is very good about replacing defective products and the miscasts aren't universal.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I just got Theoden in finecast, and he looks perfect, except that I got 2 of him on foot and none of him on horseback. I would complain about this being finecast's fault, but I once got 2 Grimas and no Saruman in metal. I like the material, I just HATE the cost.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:39 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It's just coming to the realisation that the GW hobby is getting more and more expensive and that the quality of their Finecast products are in question. Those are major differences now that some of us here believe that will effect the GW Hobby in a few years and not for the greater good.
[/quote]

It's important to note that GW is not a hobby in itself...no matter how many fanboys tell you it is, or how much its staff or management make it out to be.

Kind of obvious people, but no-one is making us buy the miniatures. if you feel compelled to do it then maybe its the beginnings of addiction which is a serious problem. Like others have said, stick to eBay, even if it's "pro painted" :lol: you can still get around that with Simple green or Methylated spirit, whatever.

As you can see there's a trade system on here, I'm sure that people will be quite willing to pick up a certain blister or set they see at an independent or other shop provided you have something they particularly want. If I am wrong about this feel free to correct me...

And if GW stops producing Lotr, so what? Look how far we've come with GW since the movies came out, especially since GW kept inventing their own fluff, and some people ate it up...plus we still have their rule system. It may even give another company the chance to expand further into the tolkien universe, e.g. Silmarillion, 1st age elves, men and dwarves anybody??? (btw I was looking at Mithril's site a few days ago, granted it was a different scale but beautiful minis nonetheless).

If GW fails as a business (quite likely by the looks of things in a couple years) then its still no big deal, most hobbyists will do fine with their collections some will be set up for quite a while for painting etc. (you know who you are :P ) It just means that the next wave of twelve year olds wont be able to start on their 7,000 point space marine army (if this applies to you, I apologise).

Bottom line is, it's a hobby, no one is forcing you to do anything...YOU are doing it YOUR way to ENJOY it. If anyone does, then there is an issue here.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

HELP I've encountered a problem with a finecast Terror of Arnor - I'm trying to prime the model with white and it just won't go over the model its like painting on wax..... any suggestions?

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Did you wash it and gentrly scrub it?
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next