All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 8:25 am

Post subject: changing sides
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hi all, i've been a elf player for some time and ive been wanting to change sides but i'm not sure which fraction to play (SBG) has anyone got any ideas i don't really want an evil army simiar to elves. any contrabution welcome,

thanks, hobbitlord

Post subject: Re: changing sides
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Allow me to offer you a quick welcome to the forum from another newcomer to the forum! With that by way of introductions, on to the main topic.

So, you don't want any army like unto elves, yet an army that is evil. Shouldn't be too hard to find. For you, I would use one of four armies, namely, either goblins, a force based out of Dol Guldur, an army from Harad, or an army from Barad Dur itself. My reasoning: you don't want an army composed primarily of 'elites' for the given race. Hence, we exclude Easterlings and Uruk-hai.

Goblins- they work best in large numbers, are relatively affordable, and can be supported by lots of big, nasty things with lots of theme (which, personally speaking, I like). They don't have many named heroes, but seeing as there are Ringwraiths, one can solve that problem very easily for the evil side. Cave trolls are lovely in quantity and dragons are delightful (though I can't speak on Cave Drakes- I have not one).

Dol Guldur- This has the advantage of giving you a force based around regular orcs, but allowing for lots of regular, weak models, but you can support it with lots of other things, permitting for a varied collection and a force with a variety of tactical options. Along the same lines, Angmar might be worth looking into, though it has few heroes and a limited selection of warriors.

Barad Dur- Naturally has a large selection of warriors, several more elite troops to reinforce the line with, and some decent heroes to back them up. Not to mention Sauron, but he's a bit of a bigger hero.

Harad- The army is generally lower on the defense, but it tends to have more models due to lower points cost as a result. It also has a nice range of relatively cheap heroes that are deadly in combat. Also, there is a decent range of cavalry, and, of course, the giant Mumak.

Hope that helps a bit- happy building!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

thanks valamir, i think harad sounds good and the mumak makes it all the more attractive, but i was wondering would madud be good as a ally for harad, once agian thanks valamir.

hobbitlord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

By the way, you said you wanted an evil army thaty is not like Elves, but Harad is also a shooting-based force which is very similar to Elves.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:09 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@Gothmog- I would agree that it is similar insofar as it shoots, however, if one merely considers the elves from the combat perspective, then Harad is almost the exact opposite, as it is nearly two Haradrim to each elf. Yes, the Haradrim can be the 'shootiest' of evil forces, but they play (in my experience) differently than elves do, insofar as they are best when swamping the enemy. That is probably due to the fact that the few of us who play in my area tend to field the higher caliber archers of whatever race we're using, resulting in Haradrim archers dying swiftly.

@hobbitlord- Certainly, glad to help. Yes, Mahud would make excellent allies, though I myself don't know much about them, so I am now speaking from theory, not experience. The higher fight, strength, and attacks will help against regular men, so I personally wouldn't be adverse to throwing a few of them in here and there. Though your opponent will most likely target them with all shooting from the get-go, so hide them well, or acquire the Shadow Lord (another one of those things not high on my buying list- though if I ever feel I need him, he will be a quick conversion).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The most opposite of elves would be goblins. High numbers, bad shooting.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:12 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think corsairs are the best for harad :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

:dizzy: thanks for ur opinions, but i think harad would be best soooo... i came up with this using the most recent harad list,

golden king of abrakhan
hasharin

25 abrakhan merchant guard
watchers of karna

50 haradrim, spear
25 haradrim, bow

ALLIES, serpent guard

hasharin
mumak, gnarled hide, tusk weapons, sinils of defiance.
1500 ponits

what do u all think... :dizzy:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@theavenger- Ah, good call. Yes, that would be true.

@hobbitlord- Yikes! That is a serious force- doesn't jive with LoME, but if you and whomever you play agree to run on non-LoME, then go for it! It makes me want to rapidly invest in more Knights of Dol Amroth...

I think the army has great potential!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@valamir- thaks however it does work with lome..
A) harad can allie with sepent guard,
B) golden king and amg, were in a november 2008 edition with rules an points (SBG), (along with betrayer an knight of umbar) and on the page contining the rules it says tey can be used with harad, or the sepent guard :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ah. I was simply thinking in terms of numbers, that's all. Otherwise, it most certainly does work LoMe.

You have lots of little Haradrim to make people's lives miserable, plenty of F4 folks to make them even less happy, a delightful smattering of bows, and a very annoying Mumak. Forward, for the glory of Harad!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The army isilegal for LOME because the max no of model at 1500pts is 100.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:55 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Do you think that the Golden King is actually useful? I also think that Harad shooting is overvalued by players, the poisoned arrows rule only gives about 1,5% more chances to hit and kill D6 targets.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@gothmogthewerewolf- didnot know that :(
@constantine- don't know, but he looks nice :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@Constantine- One might think that Harad shooting is over-valued- until one realizes that they can shoot with anything but the best of men, and the re-rolling the ones might not sound like much, but from experience, it most certainly is.

Yes, there is a 100 model LoME model limit- however, that, for a Harad army, means that you can get more people who are better. 'Tis a rather simple solution. And, of course, part of this game is as much using models that you like as models that are effective- and I'm not saying that the Golden King is ineffective. But then again, I wouldn't say that Wood Elves are ineffective. Just rather squishy.