All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:28 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: NEW release LOTR models
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Some lovely new minis. Roll on February 4th. The new set up for army books makes a lot more sense too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I don't like any of the big things. Well, the watcher is kind of cool, but the beast that the orcs are riding? What in Middle-Earth is that thing? Even the Horror from the Deep sounds more Tolkienesque. If orcs had huge monsters like that, they would have definitely been at the Pelennor Fields along side the Mumakil. The Horror stuff is alright I guess, as Gandalf does mention some random stuff living in the depths of Moria, but having it on the surface fighting Gondorians is a bit too much. This feels like it is turning away from Tolkien and becoming more High Fantasy. And the watcher is a cool model and all, but how is it gonna fight on a tabletop consisting only of land? The goblin king looks really weird hanging onto that pillar. The warg riders thing is not bad, but if you get many of them, are they all seriously gonna be doing a front wheelie like that?

I am glad that they are doing more Lotr though, and will probably be getting the new books for Fallen Realms and Men. The easterling models look awesome, but without plastics will be too expensive for me to get. The dead models are also really cool, though I will personally not have much use for them. Overall, even though this paragraph is a lot smaller than the last one, I think that the good aspects make up for the bad ones, and I look forward to this release, if only to get updated rules and see other people with new stuff.

Thanks!

Maermaethor.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Now if only they released Grond to go with the Rhino thing...
I’ll probably just get some of the Easterling things (glad I’ve started repainting mine) and the sourcebooks (just Dwarf and Easterling/Harad one for now as I don’t want to spend loads of money on rulebooks). Already have 12 Kataphrakts (all metal, grr...) but I might get the box for command options.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Maermaethor wrote:
I don't like any of the big things. Well, the watcher is kind of cool, but the beast that the orcs are riding? What in Middle-Earth is that thing? Even the Horror from the Deep sounds more Tolkienesque. If orcs had huge monsters like that, they would have definitely been at the Pelennor Fields along side the Mumakil. The Horror stuff is alright I guess, as Gandalf does mention some random stuff living in the depths of Moria, but having it on the surface fighting Gondorians is a bit too much. This feels like it is turning away from Tolkien and becoming more High Fantasy. And the watcher is a cool model and all, but how is it gonna fight on a tabletop consisting only of land? The goblin king looks really weird hanging onto that pillar. The warg riders thing is not bad, but if you get many of them, are they all seriously gonna be doing a front wheelie like that?

I am glad that they are doing more Lotr though, and will probably be getting the new books for Fallen Realms and Men. The easterling models look awesome, but without plastics will be too expensive for me to get. The dead models are also really cool, though I will personally not have much use for them. Overall, even though this paragraph is a lot smaller than the last one, I think that the good aspects make up for the bad ones, and I look forward to this release, if only to get updated rules and see other people with new stuff.

Thanks!

Maermaethor.

You sounded like you werent overly impressed, well im not either, that goblin dude on the pillar, that is just stupid, the rhino thing i dont mind, all the easterlings look appropiate enough, the watcher looks cool dum, the demon looking thing looks bad [word deleted], but yes i agree its getting like fantasy. And the goblins riding the wargs is...well...only good for luaghs.

Well i know what the models are, and i think i may just let Mrs gw employe know that i know, haha, thanks for showing us the pics.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Maermaethor wrote:
I don't like any of the big things. Well, the watcher is kind of cool, but the beast that the orcs are riding? What in Middle-Earth is that thing? Even the Horror from the Deep sounds more Tolkienesque.

They are the creatures that pull Grond in the film, so I don't see why they can't be used by the Orcs of Mordor for other purposes too?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well, the rhino is just one of the things that pulled Grond. The WitW model has legs. Definitely getting the Kataphracts, and maybe a mounted Dragon Knights. If only Amdur cuold be bought just on horseback.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The new watcher in the water is cack, the orc carrying beast is nice though, however they will be in finecack so not for me.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

wow! thanks for the link, I've got to admit some of those figures look a bot odd to me, the goblin king and warg with goblins on in particular, the thing that pulls grond looks pretty good though, wouldn't spend that much on it though.
all the easterlings look great imo, cant wait to see the command groups though!
good thing I have some christmas money left!
Can't wait till saturday its too long!
:legolas:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

tidoco wrote:
The new watcher in the water is cack, the orc carrying beast is nice though, however they will be in finecack so not for me.

wow didnt know people still had an issue with FC. You would not want a model like that in metal surely?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Legolas31 wrote:
wow! thanks for the link, I've got to admit some of those figures look a bot odd to me, the goblin king and warg with goblins on in particular, the thing that pulls grond looks pretty good though, wouldn't spend that much on it though.
all the easterlings look great imo, cant wait to see the command groups though!
good thing I have some christmas money left!
Can't wait till saturday its too long!
:legolas:

The Easterling command is just going to be the same as it used to be, just in finecast, plus a captain I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I am retarded, I didn't notice the pics. The demon: Seriously what is that supposed to be...? I'm guessing he's one of those monsters of the deep gnawing at the earth in the deep or however tolkien described them.xD I'm not gonna hate, cause Gulavhar also grew on me, but this seems a bit... What is it? A balrog kiddo or something like that?

The mordor beast is a great sculpt and overal a nice mini. I LOVE the goblin king, but I don't really know why both he and the shaman (nothing special, but he's ok) are being released, since we already have druzhag and the likes.

3 goblins on one warg... hmm. I hope this is an indicator tjat the wolves in the Hobbit will look alot like the original wargs. (Or why would they release a mounted goblin model only to replace it with a new one in a year or so?) Easterlings are ok, Amdur look as lovely mounted as he looks on foot, even though I've seen that horse somewhere before.

Overall, great release. Now get those prices down GW...-.-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Amarthadan wrote:
The demon: Seriously what is that supposed to be...? I'm guessing he's one of those monsters of the deep gnawing at the earth in the deep or however tolkien described them.xD I'm not gonna hate, cause Gulavhar also grew on me, but this seems a bit... What is it? A balrog kiddo or something like that?-

Well, the balrog needed something to do all those centuries it was down there when it wasn't sleeping :o
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wow! Look at all those new releases! I've just got back from Games Workshop Liverpool and either they are not letting on or haven't got a clue because they completely denied any knowledge of these new models! I'll be back next week to see what they can tell us. I'd imagine release date won't be for a few months yet. Amdur mounted reminds me of Suladan. Love the casualties, finally some conversion possibilites. Plastic Easterling cavalry look good, not too many complaints from me! Hopefully this is the start of an SBG comeback! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I like those models! :D

great to see some moria stuff^^ even though.. that goblin guy on the stone looks a little.. odd.. :p
and the guardian in the lake is a bug..? :shock:

I like the casualties ^^ and the warg looks funny, but he's ok :D
to bad about the prices.. :'(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:39 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like the easterlings, a mounted leader that isn't Khamul is a welcome addition. I don't even mind the Rhino, it could be fun and it has both movie and Tolkien references. Not so crazy about the rest, certainly not the goblin-on-a-post. I can see the watcher being useful for dioramas, but that's about it.

Dang, no elf cavalry. Hopefully that little glimpse in the Hobbit trailer will lead to something down the road.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Considering this release is purely for Evil (except for the Command blisters), can we assume that a second wave in the (near?) future will prominently feature the Good side? There are quite a few things missing for them, as well. *fingers crossed*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Would anyone be opposed to me posting the pictures here? Taken from Kroothawk of DakkaDakka, originally linked to by our own Farmer Maggot:

The Watcher in the Water

Great Gorgoth Beast

Horror From the Deep

Easterling Cataphracts

Easterling Dragon Knight

Easterling War Priest

Amdur, Lord of Blades

Casualties

Groblog, King of the Deep

Ashrak Spiderblood

Warg-Lootriders

Wow. There is a lot of new stuff coming out. A lot of it is completely new--models with no existing profiles in WotR or SBG, if I'm not mistaken. I like a lot of this stuff, but my favorite is actually the Warg Lootrider. It just looks like a really "fun" model to paint up and display. Nothing here will make me fork over any cash yet, though. Still holding out until The Hobbit.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Whats with the skinny balrog?!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice! I'll get one of those warg riding goblins for sure, because the model is just hilarious. Too bad it's fincast, but I'll give it a try. Can't wait to get the new army books! Plastic Easterlings is a big thumbs up, but the Horror from the Deep is not very impressive at first glance. The other Easterlings are pretty neat as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A few new things are missing from these pics:

Dwarf hornblower
King's Huntsman (Rohan)
Knight of the White Tower (freaking awesome looking model!)

All these are part of 4-man (or dwarf...) command box.

And of course the 5 new books...
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next