All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:32 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: NEW release LOTR models
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:27 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

IM A ENT!!! wrote:
emre43 wrote:
I've read some ridiculous comments on non-LOTR wargaming forums about these releases.

Including this one:

Most disappointing news possible. what a waste.

Please, none of you buy any of these models because that will encourage them to make more. especially don't buy them and use them for 40k or fantasy, because that's just making them think we want more lotr models when they could have just put time and money into making the models that we wanted in the first place instead of using second rate substitution models.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/sho ... 696&page=2

Lol i can undertand what this person is saying, lets face it LOTR isnt all that popular, an he would rather the attention spent on 40k. I guess gw is trying to push the lotr suff before they release hobbit stuff, which is "qoute", due about september after 6th ed 40k, which is rumored for like may/june, they dont want to release all at once.

If the new SBG rules are interesting enough then it may encouarge me to start painting my gondor and or start a small fallen realms army as, plastic kata's are just way too tempting and the metals were far from easy to assemble, very much like the metal dol amroth knights Which i have just refused to assemble.

Does any one have any leaks on the new SBG rules, much appreciated.

It's a little bit selfish though. I can't stand Warhammer but love SBG. It doesn't mean that I preach for people to stop buying Warhammer models.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

emre43 wrote:
It's a little bit selfish though. I can't stand Warhammer but love SBG. It doesn't mean that I preach for people to stop buying Warhammer models.

I agree, its like the WHFB and 40K fans think they have some sort of Space Marine-style 'righteous anger' at Lotr SBG/WOTR, who knows why...maybe its secretly jealousy because its a simpler, more elegant game system, the models are much nicer, all IMO of course :-D or even that it hasnt been around as long so they still view it as a little annoying upstart of a game, though to be fair the Lord of the rings story has been around for MUCH longer...etc

It all looks ok, not keen on the goblin heroes though. Nor Amdur on the horse, seems the designers are still keen on both hands being on the sword whilst mounted since the Knight of Umbar....hmm :roll:

I'm very keen for the rules release though!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:44 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I love and will buy them all :P

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
I love and will buy them all :P

I will probably get them all at some point, except maybe the orcs-riding-rhino thing that I've forgotten the name of.

I'll be picking up all the books probably on release, but the models will be there for a long time yet :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I reckon the rhino thing will be the first of the models I purchase... if I can resist Easterlings
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My favorite is the Watcher octopus.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hasn't anyone noticed the Watcher doesn't look like the one from the films? I think it's a Games Workshop original design, maybe. It's also got crab legs, look closely.The new Easterlings are fantastic. The goblins suck. The beast? Mmm... a bit too Warhammer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

MeatBoy1994 wrote:
Hasn't anyone noticed the Watcher doesn't look like the one from the films? I think it's a Games Workshop original design, maybe. It's also got crab legs, look closely.The new Easterlings are fantastic. The goblins suck. The beast? Mmm... a bit too Warhammer.

I think you might be looking at it at the wrong angle buddy. :P It looks exactly like the one from the films, except the crablegs.:) (Which I guess is an excuse to have the watcher be able to fight on land. [I don't see why tentacles wouldn't allow him to do that but...])

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think you might be looking at it at the wrong angle buddy. :P It looks exactly like the one from the films, except the crablegs.:) (Which I guess is an excuse to have the watcher be able to fight on land. [I don't see why tentacles wouldn't allow him to do that but...])[/quote]
But the mouth doesn't look the same though! :roll: The Watcher in the film had a massive mouth, very different to the model...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

IIRC it's pretty small at first, but then it "extends" it's jaws or something.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

MeatBoy1994 wrote:
I think you might be looking at it at the wrong angle buddy. :P It looks exactly like the one from the films, except the crablegs.:) (Which I guess is an excuse to have the watcher be able to fight on land. [I don't see why tentacles wouldn't allow him to do that but...])

But the mouth doesn't look the same though! :roll: The Watcher in the film had a massive mouth, very different to the model...[/quote]

Yes indeed, he extends his jaw later on in the scene + That's not what I'd call a small mouth on that mini. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Amarthadan wrote:
MeatBoy1994 wrote:

But the mouth doesn't look the same though! :roll: The Watcher in the film had a massive mouth, very different to the model...

Yes indeed, he extends his jaw later on in the scene + That's not what I'd call a small mouth on that mini. :P[/quote]
Hmm.... whatever, we'll see soon enough! :-D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

emre43 wrote:
I've read some ridiculous comments on non-LOTR wargaming forums about these releases.

Including this one:

Please, none of you buy any of these models because that will encourage them to make more. especially don't buy them and use them for 40k or fantasy, because that's just making them think we want more lotr models when they could have just put time and money into making the models that we wanted in the first place instead of using second rate substitution models.

I know, right? It's a very common trend I've noticed. The first comment in reply to the Dakka Dakka posting, where Farmer Maggot linked the pictures from, read:
Quote:
Yay, an entire month dedicated to the worst system GW have ever made.

It was bound to happen anyway, with the Hobbit coming soon.

I mean, some 40K and Fantasy gamers really hate LotR!We're sad when LotR gets little to no recognition or support in White Dwarf, or on the GW website, but many Fantasy and 40K players consider any attention given to LotR a waste of time, space, and resources. To be fair though, after the post I just quoted, other posters showed some support for LotR.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

emre43 wrote:

Including this one:

To me the post that person made is just stupid anyway. If there wasn't sufficient interest in LOTR figures then it would have fallen on its face by now and GW wouldn't still be making models for it.

As for the new releases, nothing that I want to rush out and get. Kataphrakts is a good release and the Watcher looks pretty nice too. If they'd released the Rhino things as part of a Grond set (preferrably in plastic for ease of assembly) then I probably would have got that. Its a good thing I don't want any of it really, I've spent too much and got too much to paint already.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

CaptainOfTheWhiteTower wrote:
emre43 wrote:

Including this one:

These sorts of comments are extremely selfish and arrogant. GW made big profits from the LOTR range during the LOTR films craze, and was able to plough that back into the business in general. So 40K and Warhammer gamers benefited because GW was able to grow and continue to improve its other Core systems. And its rather hypocritical for them to complain about GW wasting time and resources on LOTR at the expense of 40K and Warhammer, because for the last 3 years or so we've had very little in the way of LOTR content and had to put up almost entirely with 40K and WHFB content.

I've played LOTR for 9 years and 40K for 4, and as much as I love the 40K universe (i.e. the miniatures, and the novels, especially the Horus Heresy) LOTR is by far the superior game, superior miniatures and superior universe. Its a better game, because the rules are tighter and better written, simple yet elegant. Its easy to learn, and you rarely get bogged down in rules discussions like in 40K (I've never had a 40K game in which I and my opponent didn't have a minor disagreement over some rule). Better miniatures, because they have the benefit of drawing on the LOTR films and WETA Workshop concepts for inspiration. And superior universe, because its based on a masterpiece of literature written by a literary genius who just so happens to be the godfather of modern fantasy (including 40K and WHFB).

Last edited by Pindergorn on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Sticky Fingersss wrote:

Horror of the Deep
-Since they used to be loads of balrogs in the first age, I imagine they were not all the size of the one in moria. So i can accept the idea of a mini balrog.
-Pose is a bit awkward but I want to see it from a better angle.
-Again, good base. Simple but better than plane and it can be improved upon if you wanted to.

There weren't loads of them, there were 7, only 3 of whom were killed. If it wasn't in Finecast and so dang expensive, I would buy it.

No matter what, I'm getting the Dragon Knight on horseback and the Kataphracts. Not to bug a fan of the goblins, and I don't really want an Easterling Shaman on horse (seems like an arrow magnet to me) and I don't need a second Amdur on foot, even if the mounted version looks awesome. Wouldn't mind the Watcher or the Great Beast, if they were half the price.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Draugluin wrote:
There weren't loads of them, there were 7, only 3 of whom were killed.

The number of Balrogs changed over time. There is a reference to a host of a thousand of them in the Silmarilian. Tolkien eventually decided to limit them to 7, but didn't change the text.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I saw the title, and I went :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D .

And then I saw the pictures, and I thought :roll:

Everything except the Lootrider (horrible name though), the Gorgoroth Beast (except the theme issues) and the Easterlings (which entirely justify my first reaction) isn't worth a dead fly, let alone 30+ euros of my fast-flying money.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

IM A ENT!!! wrote:
Lol i can undertand what this person is saying, lets face it LOTR isnt all that popular, an he would rather the attention spent on 40k.

Except the facts don't support that opinion.

Someone over on Warseer broke down the number of WFB and 40K releases over the past 15 or so years and there has been NO disruption of warhammer releases because of LotRs, even during the movie's height. In fact, on average, the number of WFB and 40K releases has gone UP (marginally) since LotR came on the scene.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ForgottenLore wrote:
Draugluin wrote:
There weren't loads of them, there were 7, only 3 of whom were killed.

The number of Balrogs changed over time. There is a reference to a host of a thousand of them in the Silmarilian. Tolkien eventually decided to limit them to 7, but didn't change the text.

This. Tolkien frequently mentioned there being more than 7 in his writings (Book of Lost Tales 2 mentions hundreds while in Quenta Silmarillion there are a thousand). It wasn't until later that he decided there were "at most 7" and this figure wasn't disclosed until Christopher Tolkien published his History of Middle-Earth.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next