All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:17 pm

Post subject: Wanderers in the Wild Army List
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi guys! I got the new free peoples book and with Radagast the Brown being my favourite wizard I decided to base an army around him. This is a themed army. It is not meant to be competitive. I am aware of how to make, at the very least, an average competitive army. The problem I face is I don't want this army to be a walkover every single time I play it. The army is roughly;

Warband 1
Treebeard 190
12 woses = 84
274 points, 13 models

Warband 2
Gwaihir 125
12 woses = 84
209 points, 13 models

Warband 3
Radagast = 150

Warband 4
Ghan 45
12 woses = 84
129 points, 13 models

762 points, 40 models, 10 might, 37 blowpipes, 1 monster, 1 wizard
I fear with D3 woses as my only troop I will get destroyed very quickly. I should be ok against bow fire due to their elven cloak rule but in combat I am not so sure. The other problem I have is the blowpipes only having a range of 12". I could have sworn they used to be 18" before the new books. Or maybe that's me getting confused with the Harashin. The low range means I will only get one maybe two shots in before combat as the new rules mean armys are deployed very close(not that it would help me if they were further away with 12" range).
I like playing themed and don't need to win every game to be happy but endless defeats would be boring. So what I am trying to ask is does this army have a fighting chance at all of winning any game of any type?
Would love to hear peoples thoughts =)
 Post subject: Re: Wanderers in the Wild Army List
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I don't know about fighting chance, but this isn't a themed army. 1. Treebeard and the ents didn't take part in any battle other than at Isengard, 2. the Woses never really fought anywhere, especially not next to Radagast. If you want a truly themed army, take Radagast, some eagles and some wood elves.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My fear is that your a little too heavy on the expensive heros. Maybe drop Gwaihir and bring a cheaper hero with more troops?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:
I don't know about fighting chance, but this isn't a themed army. 1. Treebeard and the ents didn't take part in any battle other than at Isengard, 2. the Woses never really fought anywhere, especially not next to Radagast. If you want a truly themed army, take Radagast, some eagles and some wood elves.

Ah I may have used the wrong word in themed. I know I am not sticking true to tolkein but I guess by theme I meant a Nature army. People in middle earth who are one with nature (as cheesy as that sounds). If this army has any type of theme it is that it is full of people in middle earth who stick to themselves and mind their own business, unless hassled of course ; )
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Battalia wrote:
My fear is that your a little too heavy on the expensive heros. Maybe drop Gwaihir and bring a cheaper hero with more troops?

Well I was thinking of taking Thranduil but the cost of the elves kind of makes it even more expensive. Any other ideas of nature type warriors? I suspect an awesome Beorn model will be around nearer the Hobbit. That isn't for a long time though :(
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

All i have to say is 762pts is a wierd points cost for an army.. wouldnt it be better if it was like 745-754? idk just i usually play with 750pts or 500pts 760 seems strange lol.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ncea wrote:
All i have to say is 762pts is a wierd points cost for an army.. wouldnt it be better if it was like 745-754? idk just i usually play with 750pts or 500pts 760 seems strange lol.

Yeah I was just filling out the warbands for maximization of troops. I would take away 2 woses to get 748 which is more like the normal points cost. Any thoughts on if this army would get slaughtered? Or could it hold it's own in at least some way?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:45 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Seems nice to me, but hobbits also loved nature 8)