All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:30 am

Post subject: 800 Point Easterling army (SBG)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So with all the cool new Easterling stuff in February's White Dwarf, I decided to dust mine off and found that I'd collected many more than I remembered (don't you love it when that happens?) so I decided to put together a rather large army. Note that this is all of my spears, but I have many more shield and bow-armed models.

Amdur's Black Dragon Warband - 271pts
Amdur, mounted on an armoured horse
6 Black Dragon Kataphrakts
6 Black Dragon Easterlings with shields

Khamul's Retainers - 228pts
Khamul the Easterling on foot
12 Easterlings with spears and shields

Ulfang's Cohort - 149pts
Ulfang (Easterling Captain with shield)
5 Easterlings with shields
6 Easterlings with spears and shields

Borlas' Cohort - 151pts
Borlas (Easterling Captain with halberd)
12 Easterlings with bows

51 models, 9 Might. 799 Points Total.

I know it seems light on models, but even if I swapped Khamul for a pair of Captains or a Captain and a Shaman it would only get me one model. At this points level, I couldn't see myself dropping Amdur either since even another Captain and 7 or 8 troops in his stead couldn't stand up to the likes of Aragorn and Gimli.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts

Last edited by Lord Hurin on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: 800 Point Easterling army (SBG)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

16 Spearmen, 8 Archers, 17 Swordsmen, 6 Horsemen and 4 Heroes... You're very light on archers so you'll need to close with the enemy quickly to minimize your casualties. Personally I'd have Amdur on foot and Khamul mounted in order to maximise potential. A mounted Khamul on the charge could be devastating which could really help your Kataphrakts who are not the best heavy cavalry out there. Plus the additional mobility means you are more likely to get your spells in range when you want to cast them. Amdur on foot also allows you to capitalize on his ability to wield his sword with one or two hands.

What's your deployment strategy with the infantry? Do you intend to form a three-deep phalanx with flanking archer/swordmen contingents or a two-deep shieldwall with flanking archers?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes, my archers are few but they're so average that I'm loathe to include many more. Having said that, swapping 6 shields for 4 archers and 2 spearmen would be within my points and possibly better. I initially included the extra swordsmen as a buffer against enemy bowfire, but I'm not sure I like that tactic. My strategy was going to be a 2-deep shieldwall, due mainly to lack of spears (GW really needs to release a Finecast set of 4 Easterlings with spears, based from the older metals. I' buy a couple!) but in narrow spaces can also re-form into a 3-deep formation. I've never used Amdur, but I think he'd be better mounted than Khamul. Perhaps I'll try mounting them both though. The weak profile of the Kataphrakts is exactly why I gave them the Black Dragon upgrade. Not only is it fluffy to have Amdur's men be the elite, but it gives me an edge or puts me on even ground with just about any enemy troops.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:04 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I would advise mounting them both- though, quite frankly, I've seen Khamul, when backed by two spearmen, simply tear through the enemy regular warriors. Otherwise, yes, it looks light on models- make sure you are minimizing bow damage and winning your fights!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Mounted Kamul has 2 attacks on the charge. So if he knocks his opponent has 4 to wound. (or 3 and 6 if he uses will to boost attacks)
Pike supported Kamul has 3 attacks, and 3 to wound. (or 4 and 4 if he boosts his attacks)

Mounted Kamul can take his extra attacks on heroic combats
Foot Kamul cant

Foot Kamul can lose pikes to bow fire.
Mounted Kamul can more easily lose his horse.

Over all, it is about even. But remember if kamul doesn't need the support support can wander off.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've made the aforementioned changes, adding some bows and spears. I think this might work better.

Well, as for mounting Khamul, WYSIWYG might be an issue, since his horse is unarmoured.

Regardless, I can't really see any way of adding numbers except dropping the Kataphrakts altogether, which I'm loathe to do as they are not only cool models, but were expensive and I'd like to use them... Even using Khamul as my mounted leader, demoting the Kataphracts and dropping a couple and swapping Amdur for a Captain on foot I would maybe get 9 or 10 more troops. None of which would have spears, as I've used all my spear-armed models (18) in this force and I'd lose some heavy hitting power. The dilemma is that Easterlings really don't have anything between a Captain and Amdur or Khamul that can lead troops. Dragon Knights seem good, but they're independent heroes...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:17 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Drop some of Khamuls pikes, they can't all support (and yes they're called pikes not spears). I would recommend putting in some Khandish infantry, but if you want to stick entirely to Easterlings that is no option. It's a pity it would be difficult to fit a mounted Dragon Knight into your list.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:34 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

A shaman can lead some troops, and his bladewrath (not to mention fury) are very useful when combined with the Essence Leech, or even the Blood and Glory rules.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have 6 Variags and a Chieftain, it seems. Once I get the book and get actual points and all worked out, I may invest in some more of them. Ideally, my combined Khandish and Easterling force would get up to around 1200-1500 points.