All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 11:19 am

Post subject: SBG: Spider Queen
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ok, I did check this time.
At work and have a bet going on. The question is:
Is the Spider Queen a Independent Character or not? Or...is it a Independent Character for Moria and not a Independent Character for Mordor?

I say she is a Independent Character for both factions.

A dinner is riding on this

- :puppy:

Post subject: Re: SBG: Spider Queen
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:32 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It is a Spider Queen not the Spider Queen

They are independent heroes in Moria, but they are not in Mordor simple.

If you want an explanation, the SQ profile in Mordor represents thSpider Queen of Dol Guldor who can lead the Giant Spiders as an army where as the Spider Queens in the Moria list represent generic Spider Queens who onhabit the Misty Mountains. Red the fluff in both sourcebooks and you will see it is different.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I was afraid of that, and we checked after work. The fluff for Moria reads like they are the multitude and should be independent. Anyway, guess it doesn't matter. The way it works out it seems open to be abused.

And I'll be getting that. I'm set to face off on 2 warbands of spiders each leader by a Spider Queen, with the potential of Shelob joining them.

I will be fielding Easterlings. Basically I'll have Amdur, Priest, and a generic Capt. on Kat.(cav.). If we go over 500 points then I'll add in more Hero's and upgrade contingents into Black Dragons.

Last edited by ScarpeIron on Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

ScarpeIron wrote:
Ok, I did check this time.
At work and have a bet going on. The question is:
Is the Spider Queen a Independent Character or not? Or...is it a Independent Character for Moria and not a Independent Character for Mordor?

I say she is a Independent Character for both factions.

A dinner is riding on this

- :puppy:

Is that a Spider Queen dinner!? :shock:

Lol well remember to keep your heroes away from Shelob on the charge! Archery makes quick work of the 25pt spiders :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Normal Giant Spiders went down to 20pts, so its now 5 for the price of 4.

The Spider Queens however have a 40pt increas which fixes the Spider Queens a little.

@ScarpeIron, you can only have one of the SQ in the Mordor list, and she can lead 12 troops, but the Moria ones of which you can have multiples are independent heroes.

You might want to take a Dragon Knight or two, they are more overpowered than Spider Queens are now. And I agree with erkenbrand, shoot the spiders. In fact the Queens are also low defrence too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:17 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, after reading the "fluff" I have to agree that it isn't a misprint or a oversight. Wish it was a lot more clearer. (I know, I know)

Any who, the Mordor list will stand. It is being read that the Mordor Spider Queen is in fact a "generic" captain instead of a Named Hero. The logic: its come under/after the rest of the Mordor generic captains. Pointing out that the sourcebooks break up heros/captain by ...cultural?...ethnicity?...;basically that they are broken up to represent a faction as a whole before moving onto the next faction; would have been ....a noisy quarrel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Normal Giant Spiders went down to 20pts, so its now 5 for the price of 4.

The Spider Queens however have a 40pt increas which fixes the Spider Queens a little.

@ScarpeIron, you can only have one of the SQ in the Mordor list, and she can lead 12 troops, but the Moria ones of which you can have multiples are independent heroes.

You might want to take a Dragon Knight or two, they are more overpowered than Spider Queens are now. And I agree with erkenbrand, shoot the spiders. In fact the Queens are also low defrence too.

The DK isn't overpowered, if it had stayed 60pts it would be. He's still worth it, but only if you're going against low Fight low Defense heros.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:59 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

ScarpeIron wrote:
Well, after reading the "fluff" I have to agree that it isn't a misprint or a oversight. Wish it was a lot more clearer. (I know, I know)

Any who, the Mordor list will stand. It is being read that the Mordor Spider Queen is in fact a "generic" captain instead of a Named Hero. The logic: its come under/after the rest of the Mordor generic captains. Pointing out that the sourcebooks break up heros/captain by ...cultural?...ethnicity?...;basically that they are broken up to represent a faction as a whole before moving onto the next faction; would have been ....a noisy quarrel.

The logic would make sense if it were not for the Moria list, in which 3 of the named Goblin heroes are on the first page; Durburz, Druzhag and Groblug, then it moves onto Warg Chieftain, Goblin Captain, Goblin Shaman, Blackshield Captain and Blackshield Shaman before going onto Ashrak, a named hero,and then when we have the 4 big monsters, the two completely unnamed ones; Dragon and Cave Drake are in no particular order with the Watcher in the Water, and the Balrog who has become a named hero again.

Then in the Mordor sourcbook, we begin with named heroes including Sauron, the Ringwraiths, Gollum, Gothmog, Shelob and Shagrat, but before Kardushh we have an Orc Captain, and the Necromancer is between a Cave Drake and a Troll Chieftain.

In Isengard, Sharkey and Worm are placed after the generic Captains.

And in Harad, a Hasharin goes before Dalamyr and the Golden King.

Thus, I do not think this is the case. However GW are idiots half the time so they probably are counted as being generic, but we have little info.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:24 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I completely agree. The logic that was told to me is flawed, as is the wording in the Spider Queens description for both Factions. The fluff is what I'm going off of, but there are 3 people I know who think the Spider Queen in Mordor is a generic spider captain.... They need things in black and white. So HOPEFULLY when the Hobbit rolls around they'll FAQ some of these ambiguous entries. I like having a The Spider Queen. Moria seems to be a vast mountainous adobe for all those creatures GW wants to cash in on adding to the already confused.

ah well, just gotta roll with it till GW starts to listen to their customers again.