All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:59 pm

Post subject: LOTR SBG Mordor army advice
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:40 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello I have recently began playing LOTR SBG and I have chosen mordor for my army, but need some help on deciding what models to get next. I only have a few guys so far an want to make an army based mostly on theme and models I like, but something that will work well on the tabletop . I want to go for an army round around the Fortress Barad-Dur, so including the Mouth of Sauron, Black Numenoreans, Morannon and Mordor Orcs, Black Guard of Barad-Dur etc... I also wouldn't mind throwing in a named Ringwraith (specifically the Tainted, just love the model and it's rules seem good). Here is the pool of models I currently own:

The Mouth of Sauron (foot & mounted)

6x Black Numenoreans

1 Spider Queen (the only reason why I have this model is that it was the first model I bought before I had decided on any particular faction as such, so don't expect to be using it alot)

1 Mordor Siege Bow (the reason for this is that my friend was selling one of cheap so I thought why not :-D )

That's it so far, any advice would be muchly appreciated. Just to note I am currently very low on cash at the mo so won't able to buy loads of models at once.

Last edited by VoiceofSauron on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: LOTR SBG Mordor army advice
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Black numenoreans are very good frontliners, with orc spear support. For the BN's, you could use dark elf corsairs, with the claws on the cape and the hair cut off to take the warhammer effect away.For archery I'm not sure (never played other lists than elves in SBG)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

mastermanje wrote:
Black numenoreans are very good frontliners, with orc spear support. For the BN's, you could use dark elf corsairs, with the claws on the cape and the hair cut off to take the warhammer effect away.For archery I'm not sure (never played other lists than elves in SBG)

Well i already have bought the games workshop metal black numenoreans and I actually quite like the models

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

VoiceofSauron wrote:
mastermanje wrote:

Well i already have bought the games workshop metal black numenoreans and I actually quite like the models

Me to likes the models, but they cost much(I can afford several warbands, but maybe you couldn't)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:41 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

mastermanje wrote:
VoiceofSauron wrote:
mastermanje wrote:

Me to likes the models, but they cost much(I can afford several warbands, but maybe you couldn't)

Well I'm not planning on getting a ton right now, quite happy with 6 at the moment :) .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

VoiceofSauron wrote:

Well I'm not planning on getting a ton right now, quite happy with 6 at the moment :) .

Okay, but total 12 of them would be handy, maybe some black guards?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

mastermanje wrote:
VoiceofSauron wrote:

I was thinking of getting the tainted and some Morannon orcs next, but if you think more numernoreans and black guard would be a good choice next then I shall certainly consider your opinion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

VoiceofSauron wrote:
mastermanje wrote:
VoiceofSauron wrote:

I was thinking of getting the tainted and some Morannon orcs next, but if you think more numernoreans and black guard would be a good choice next then I shall certainly consider your opinion

Noth sure, you should ask GotmogtheWerewolf, he is mordorexpert, but that's what I've heard, about the black numenoreans I'm sure, they are awesome for their points, and as far as I know black guard to

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok thanks for your help anyway :) .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Welcome to One Ring, VoiceofSauron. I appear to have gotten a mention, thought I might as well reply.

Of the 4 'core' elies: Morannon Orcs, Black Numenoreans, Mordor Uruk-hai, Black Guard of Barad-dur, the black Numenoreans will give you the best for their pts as they get the Terror rule for free. Morannons and Black Guards are good choices too, though expert Morannons to lose more fights against Fight 4 enemies (which are common), but they are still cheap enough. The Black Guards are decent in small quantities well grouped. All of these 4 elites should be supported by Orc Warriors with spears. Black Numenoreans are pointless in small numbers though really, you want a full army of them with spear support, heroes and specials.

If you want archers, you have 2 choices, I prefer Orc Trackers as they have a better shoot value and cost less than Orcs with bows.

Concerning Ringwraiths. You may like the Tainted's model the best, I really like it too, but its not the easiest for a beginner to get to grips with as it cripples you as much as your enemy. Your warriors are low courage and will likely flee if denied a standfast, plus any spear support you give the Tainted could die before you use it. Better beginner-wraiths are the Shadow Lord (if your enemy uses plenty of archers), the Undying (if you have other spell casters) and the Knight of Umbar. Alternatively, you have Budget Wraiths as you can have lots of them at low pts (a budget wraith is a basic Ringwraith with 0 Might or Fate, and minimum Will, occasionally add 1 or 2 extra characteristics.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Welcome to One Ring, VoiceofSauron. I appear to have gotten a mention, thought I might as well reply.

Of the 4 'core' elies: Morannon Orcs, Black Numenoreans, Mordor Uruk-hai, Black Guard of Barad-dur, the black Numenoreans will give you the best for their pts as they get the Terror rule for free. Morannons and Black Guards are good choices too, though expert Morannons to lose more fights against Fight 4 enemies (which are common), but they are still cheap enough. The Black Guards are decent in small quantities well grouped. All of these 4 elites should be supported by Orc Warriors with spears. Black Numenoreans are pointless in small numbers though really, you want a full army of them with spear support, heroes and specials.

If you want archers, you have 2 choices, I prefer Orc Trackers as they have a better shoot value and cost less than Orcs with bows.

Concerning Ringwraiths. You may like the Tainted's model the best, I really like it too, but its not the easiest for a beginner to get to grips with as it cripples you as much as your enemy. Your warriors are low courage and will likely flee if denied a standfast, plus any spear support you give the Tainted could die before you use it. Better beginner-wraiths are the Shadow Lord (if your enemy uses plenty of archers), the Undying (if you have other spell casters) and the Knight of Umbar. Alternatively, you have Budget Wraiths as you can have lots of them at low pts (a budget wraith is a basic Ringwraith with 0 Might or Fate, and minimum Will, occasionally add 1 or 2 extra characteristics.

OK, thanks for the reply, will consider all you said, just when you said BN's supported by spears heroes and specials, what type of units do you mean by specials?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

By specials I mean anything different. Morgul Knights (or Warg Riders), Spectres/Morgul Stalkers, Troll Chieftains/Cave Drakes/Spider Queens, also archers. Basically anthing that isn't your core army.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

OK then, does anybody have any suggestions for a 500 point list?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That generally depends on what you want it to do. A Mordor army is very varied. Since you have some Black Numenoreans, and they are little too cheap, base your army around them, you also have the Mouth of Sauron so I'll put him in their, though you may, in future, want to swap him for a Budget Ringwraith with one extra Will.

Warband 1:
Mordor Troll Chieftain
5 Black Numenoreans
5 Orc Warriors with spears
2 Orc Trackers

Warband 2:
The Mouth of Sauron
5 Black Numenoreans
2 Orc Trackers

Warband 1:
Grishnakh (or Gorbag)
5 Black Numenoreans
2 Orc Trackers

Total pts: 500
Models: 39
Mt pts: 6
Bows: 6
Break pt: 20
Casters: 1

You can if you want drop one Tracker to give Grishnakh a shield, but you might want the extra bow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Good suggestions Gothmog. One point, if you take Black Numenoreans you definitely want to take a Ringwraith, they increase the Terror causing rule by +1 effectively but as has been mentioned, the Tainted isn't a team model. He's best suited on a fellbeast causing havoc away from your army. Personally I wouldn't take archers in such a small Mordor force, better to have more dice in combats :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Concerning archers, in that list its because the archers are a round number, and it makes it exactly 500pts. The 6 Trackers are not exactly game winning, if you wanted melee combatants only, swap them for 2 Morgul Stalkers, or increase numbers of BNs and spears. The choice is up to the player.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
That generally depends on what you want it to do. A Mordor army is very varied. Since you have some Black Numenoreans, and they are little too cheap, base your army around them, you also have the Mouth of Sauron so I'll put him in their, though you may, in future, want to swap him for a Budget Ringwraith with one extra Will.

Warband 1:
Mordor Troll Chieftain
5 Black Numenoreans
2 Orc Trackers

Warband 2:
The Mouth of Sauron
5 Black Numenoreans
2 Orc Trackers

Warband 1:
Grishnakh (or Gorbag)
5 Black Numenoreans
2 Orc Trackers

Total pts: 500
Models: 39
Mt pts: 6
Bows: 6
Break pt: 20
Casters: 1

You can if you want drop one Tracker to give Grishnakh a shield, but you might want the extra bow.

Thank you very much gothmog, im think i might swap out the trackers for something as i am not really bothered about shootiness.