All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:09 pm

Post subject: Rohan Cavalry Options
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What options are good for an all-cavalry Rohan army? Since Riders of Rohan can't drop their bows anymore, the only non-bow mounted warriors are Royal Guard and Sons of Eorl. Previously both of these models were pretty expensive, but are Sons of Eorl more worth taking now that we are seeing less numbers of models on the battlefields?

Thanks.

Forth Eorlingas!
 Post subject: Re: Rohan Cavalry Options
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:01 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

ChristsSoldier wrote:
What options are good for an all-cavalry Rohan army? Since Riders of Rohan can't drop their bows anymore, the only non-bow mounted warriors are Royal Guard and Sons of Eorl. Previously both of these models were pretty expensive, but are Sons of Eorl more worth taking now that we are seeing less numbers of models on the battlefields?

Thanks.

what u mean? thats a new rule fo rSBG or WOTR too?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Due to the fact that GW has not yet addressed the question of whether or not only the riders with bows out 'count as' being equipped with bows for the sake of fielding an all-cavalry army, the current source books supersede any previous statements, which means that the riders are back to all packing bows.

Now, down to business. First, I do highly believe that the Sons of Eorl are worth taking. Yes, they are a pain in the pocketbook, but of all Rohan, they are the best of the best. Followed shortly by the Rohan Royal Guard, who I suspect, tends to get short-shifted in favor of other models. But, unfortunately, the current bow issue with the Riders of Rohan does rather limit the use of the basic Rider of Rohan model.

As for the question of seeing less models on the battlefield, the Sons have always been worth taking for their sheer hitting power. As long as you have a hero (or two) nearby to keep your momentum, then they are definitely worth your while. I would personally go with Eomer (of the Pellenor variety) and Erkenbrand (for the Horn of Helm Hammerhand). The two of them have enough might to at least keep you moving- at least, in smaller armies.

May the Lord bless you and keep you,
May His Face shine upon you,
And give you peace.

May your swords (or axes) stay sharp, and arrows fly ever true! Forth Eorlingas!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:51 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Valamir wrote:
...which means that the riders are back to all packing bows.

Er, it's been that way for years, this is nothing new. If you want all cavalry, you have to fill up 2/3rds with RRG or Sons, otherwise you eat the point costs.

Agree about Sons of Eorl. Anything with 3 dice and a knockdown is going to be very effective.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:30 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I believe that LOME had an FAQ that stated that some of the riders or raiders could drop their bows to meet the bow limit.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:23 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It did, but they still cost the full price.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes, but that was LoME, which is no longer the GW standard for gaming. Alas and alack, but there it is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Valamir wrote:
Yes, but that was LoME, which is no longer the GW standard for gaming. Alas and alack, but there it is.

You can't be serious. Your telling me that since GW (world renown for making oversights) made an oversight of not explicitly stating that RoR can drop their bows still that this is no longer allowed? That's just silly. Until GW puts out a FAQ saying they CAN'T then i'm going to continue to play them as GW meant them to be played.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

OR did Gw mean you to take some foot soldiers and some Royal guard/sons of earl?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:28 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sir Richard wrote:
I believe that LOME had an FAQ that stated that some of the riders or raiders could drop their bows to meet the bow limit.

I'm looking at the FAQ and that is not the case. There are no profiles where you're allowed to drop war gear that is built into the profile. The only thing you can do, for clarification for your opponent, is have the ones posed as shooting be the only ones able to shoot.

Battalia wrote:
You can't be serious. Your telling me that since GW (world renown for making oversights) made an oversight of not explicitly stating that RoR can drop their bows still that this is no longer allowed? That's just silly. Until GW puts out a FAQ saying they CAN'T then i'm going to continue to play them as GW meant them to be played.

It never was allowed. This question has existed since LoME came out in 2006, clearly they would have addressed it by now if they had "meant" them to be played differently.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

whafrog wrote:
Sir Richard wrote:

I'm looking at the FAQ and that is not the case. There are no profiles where you're allowed to drop war gear that is built into the profile. The only thing you can do, for clarification for your opponent, is have the ones posed as shooting be the only ones able to shoot.

The FAQ at the back of LoME says that RoR and metal Harad Raiders could drop their bows.

Of course as stated, its no longer the case.

@Battalia, GW intend the bows not to be dropped if they don't say you can, remeber they didn't use to have as many alternatives which is why they could drop their bows, they now have twice as many mounted alternatives so it is no longer neded to drop them.