All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:31 am

Post subject: Hello Everyone !!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi,
my name is Tiziano, I'm 17 years old and I live in Switzerland. I used to play LOTR STB 5 years ago, but then, due to sports commitments i had to stop playing. I want to restart playing, so i need a new army (small one). I already have like 50 uruks with capitans and banners but i want something new. I was thinking about buying 2 boxes of haradrims and "The Betrayer" just to start off... What do you think about it ? I don't wanna play the war of the ring version with the movement trays, i like the old way...

I was thinking about painting haradrims in a different way than the usual red and black pattern.

I would like to make the cloak in some sort of Enchanted blue, maybe highlighted with Ice blue, and shadows made with either a Citadel Asurmen blue wash or a regal blue wash.
And for the other parts of the vest, i was thinking about a bleached bone colour, highligted with skull white and i have no idea about how to make the shadows. So, tips are really welcome!!

For the armor, i i thinkthe harads would look really good painted with chainmail and shadowed with a Citadel wash of devlan mud.

If you guys have other suggestions about everything you think would be better or something that doesn't work, just tell me

Thanks for the time, Tiziano
tiz16
Wayfarer

Post subject: Re: Hello Everyone !!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

another question: should i paint over a black or a white undercoat?

i have a airbrush, not a citadel one, a Testors aztek airbrush... i was wondering if that could serve me?
thanks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I undercoat everything in black, creates shadows easier

For your vest parts paint it bone, wash it with Delvan Mud then go Bone - White
i think a blue an White heme would be very different

My Harad are Black and Green (although ive only painted a few)

Also in a few weeks the paints will completely change even the names are changing so keep that in mind
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:52 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Try to buy the old boxes of 24 if you can find them, much better deal. Also, you'll need more heros now, so just having the Betrayer won't do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:07 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i'm going to canada in a few weeks, so i might get them shipped there, to my host family where i lived last year, prices in italy are crazy... :S but i'd like to buy everything in one place, not some stuff from ebay and some from GW... I wanna keep it simple just to start off and play little games with friends... Which other hero should i buy?

What do you mean with "the colours are changing" you mean completly changing with a new line?

thanks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You will probably get a lot of use out of the command set, which includes a basic captain. Otherwise, Suladan is a natural leader for Harad. You might want to throw in some cavalry with the plastic raiders box, along with a foot amd mounted captain. That should be enough to get you started.

You might also consider mixing some Corsairs, along with a captain and bosun. Their higher fight value can come in handy.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

yep GW paints are changing, they have a post in the News & Rumour with the paints changes and some of the names. I think its like the 2nd/3d one down.

As for SBG the new rules are such that you field Warbands now. It requires you to field a Hero/Captain with up to 12 warriors, they have all new Army Books that outline how to form a Warhost. The ORB is still the same, all the rest are used for reference. Do a search on this forum and you'll find a plethora of information on the new way of building up your host. It might be a tad confusing, but trust me most of the answers you will have - have been asked and answered.

For Harad, under the new rules, I like to use Suladan or Dalamyr (Dal is actually a Serpent Guard General that I have painted in the colors of my Harad) and normal captains.

As for basecoating; its a preference thing. For darker/somber tones, regardless of colors, I go black. For those that I want a vibrate/brighter color, I use white. For my Harad I based them all white, because I chose all bright colors and metals.

- :puppy:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

so if i buy :

2 boxes of Haradrim warriors,
One box of plastic riders,
The betrayer(on horse as a hero for my riders)
one haradrim commanders box( heroes for my soldiers)

should that be good??
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

tiz16 wrote:
so if i buy :

should that be good??

the captains, are not awesome, but also not awfull. So a taskmaster leading one group, and the captain the other would do, though 1you'll nee more captains for all that groups, TKOU is good to, I suggest getting some abrakhan guards, maybe a mahud king to get a hard-hitting force, and that's it for me. The only army I know into it's roots are the elves, so I'm not the best guy around to ask about this

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

is the pianting idea good? i was thinking about forgetting the blue Citadel wash, as i saw on some pictures that it looks a little too light for the enchanted blue, is it right?? would it work better with like a regal blue wash??

How do you paint those jewelry details ?

how do i paint the horses?

thanks for the time
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

tiz16 wrote:
is the pianting idea good? i was thinking about forgetting the blue Citadel wash, as i saw on some pictures that it looks a little too light for the enchanted blue, is it right?? would it work better with like a regal blue wash??

How do you paint those jewelry details ?

how do i paint the horses?

thanks for the time

hmmm, for horses you should ask or pm chris, he's the best one around here in painting horses IMO, for jewelry, I've never ever painted them, regal blue wash would work, but adding some chaos black mixed with water to the citadel blue would help to

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:20 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

and using devlan mud for that too??
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

tiz16 wrote:
and using devlan mud for that too??

Srry, but for what do you mean, the horses, the blue or the jewels?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

the blue...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

tiz16 wrote:
the blue...

hmmm, only devlan mud wouldn't work out well I think, but when mixed with citadel blue i could

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

but if i wanna play just with a friend, some little games with old rules(no trays), could my first option be good?? i have no idea about which color should i use for the swords, the wood and the leather/cloth (like their shoes) so suggestions are really welcome ;) and still, i nees some ideas for the armor, idk if my choice is good...
thanks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

1) SBG has no basestrays for movement. Each model is moved on its own. WoTR is the one with bases/trays for movements

2) check out the Gallery or W.I.P. section. You'll find some truly amazing schemes, then all you have to do is PM the painter and ask if they could tell you how they did it; or use theirs as a guide. There is one that I can recall that actually has a beautiful scheme, it looks like honey pants, colorful cloaks, and converted hero's to look like those demons from 300.

3)jewels/metals/armour can all be painted in different ways. Again, dig a little and see what you find. There are a gazillion "How To.." on youtube, there are Miniature Painting sites with tutorials, and the old Journeybooks have very basic tutorials in them. You could even go to a hobby store and browse magazines from the rack and get ideas.

4) the reason I mention those are because its ...your... hobby. ...your... WarHost. In other words what I like may not be what you like. So it would be best if you find, on your own, a technique you like and if you can't figure how to paint it or get a response from the painter then link the picture and we can see about breaking the paints down for you.

5)
tiz16 wrote:
so if i buy :

Since you are playing with the old rules we would need to know how many points you plan on playing with, but...yes this has the potential to be a good force. 12-24 Harad foot soldiers (depends on the boxes you get. The old box sold 24, the new ones sell 12 for the old price) and 6 cav. Is a decent force. Remember to have 33% bows, use the banner and take 2 captains (use the Taskmaster as a capt.) that should give you a solid reservoir of Might for the warriors. It would be best to do some mock-up of force list within the points you plan on fielding and then post that/those lists in the Army Help section of the forums. There you'll get a pool of more experienced players to critique and fine tune your list.

- :puppy:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:06 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok, thanks a lot and i'll let you know how they turn out ;)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:07 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Probably 500 points, maybe 750... Small games
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

by the way, i was just making a hell lot of questions just because i don't want to buy useless paints and stuff, they're already expensive as hell... so if you still have some tips, go ahead ;) and thanks everyone for all the answers