All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:33 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Price Increase Confirmed by Miniwargaming
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My local games and electronics is giving up GW. The games that take up half his store are already only 3% of the trade, players order rather from Maelstrom or Ebay, and the upcoming price increase was the last straw.

Understandable, but pity. :roll: At least I got Khamûl at 25% discount.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

after being away from the hobby for a while i am shocked and surprised to hear this travesty, it is absolutely shocking that in this recession GW have sought to further increase their prices and extort even more money out of gamers. I personally believe that this will kill of any newcomers to gaming as the prices are just too high, video games have also contributed to that fact, but GW are defintely doing themselves any favours, however one of the main reasons that i stopped buying their models a few years ago was the price increase and to find that it has shot up even further is appalling. Only 5 or so years ago i could buy 24womt for £10-£12 now it has shot up. this is a real shame and virtually killed my interest in purchasing new models. i only wish there was a way we could show GW how much they are hurting thir hobby by doing this, it is a real shame. for me personally this is the last straw and has virtually extinguished my already small interest in the hobbit figures to virtually nothing, good going GW!! :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:20 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

king elessar 2615 wrote:
after being away from the hobby for a while i am shocked and surprised to hear this travesty, it is absolutely shocking that in this recession GW have sought to further increase their prices and extort even more money out of gamers. I personally believe that this will kill of any newcomers to gaming as the prices are just too high, video games have also contributed to that fact, but GW are defintely doing themselves any favours, however one of the main reasons that i stopped buying their models a few years ago was the price increase and to find that it has shot up even further is appalling. Only 5 or so years ago i could buy 24womt for £10-£12 now it has shot up. this is a real shame and virtually killed my interest in purchasing new models. i only wish there was a way we could show GW how much they are hurting thir hobby by doing this, it is a real shame. for me personally this is the last straw and has virtually extinguished my already small interest in the hobbit figures to virtually nothing, good going GW!! :(

The price increase is also absolutely crazy considering their gross margin is (or was until recently) 76%!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:21 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

i think gw must be having cash flow issues like woolworths did just before they collapsed, they may be a huge business and have alot of assets but if they dont have the cash flowing through the business it will cause them to raise prices to high to attempt to cover this before it eventually fails !! i can for see the stores closing soon and GW going back to a mail order firm with an odd branch about in larger cities london, liverpool etc etc
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

king elessar 2615 wrote:
... for me personally this is the last straw and has virtually extinguished my already small interest in the hobbit figures to virtually nothing, ...

Same here, the prices AND finecast mean I will never ever buy any Hobbit figures. Otherwise I would have most likely spend thousands of €. Maybe I should be happy :)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

See, I would have thought that they should reduce the price, I for one would purchase from them again... Their business picks up, more people play and buy, the stores and GW do well and stay in business.

Come on GW lower the prices and get more people in to your store to buy, don't push us all away!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

GW don't know how to put prices down, or else they think the wrld will end if they do.

I wouldn't be surprised if this decade was their last.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Leonardis wrote:
This sounds like time for me to seriously consider if I want to stay doing this hobby, GWS are pricing me out of the hobby!

Make that a past tense for me.

Just imagine how many more gamers we could have if all the prices were suddenly halved...

:puppy:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My serious advice to anyone would be to not bother buying the gw models unless if your going to a tournament, there a re plenty of companies like reaper minis that make equally, if not nicer, sculpts of practically identical characters. This works especially nice for the generic hereos and characters who didn't make an appearance in the films, it gives you a chance to interpret the characters your own way. The last mini i bought, back in ol' '11 was to be my mirkwood stormcaller, not only is it perfect scale but it looks the part much more so than the lothlorien/eregion gw sculpt that costs £8. Coming back to the hobby recently i went straight to reaper to get a goblin shaman, two elves to be the twins, and a mahud king, for £15. My mates won't care their not official, infact i felt like i was saving so much that the mahud king is actually for my friend because i'm so darned bored of his half trolls fleeing all the damn time.

All the film characters that matter and most plastics can be bought for like £3 on ebay anyway. Only thing im buying from gw now are the books. Funny story though, i went on their site to see they were selling a box of womt for £13.50, i though "Dayum that's good, have gw dropped their prices finally?" then i saw that it was for 12 minis and my head blew.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:20 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Luckily me and my brother already have a large number of figures, and we have found some cheaper alternatives to some armies.
But even that can only last so long. Its always nice to be able to get something new.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:32 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

and checking GW's Share price its dropping . . . . . .
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:59 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

[quote="SuicidalMarsbar"] the mahud king is actually for my friend because i'm so darned bored of his half trolls fleeing all the damn time.quote]

I presume you still play LoME then not Warband, because the Mahud don't have Warrior Pride (or the extra attack) in the new sourcebooks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:12 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

In between checking my cart and hitting the checkout button, GW raised the price on me. I had to pay an extra 4 dollars just because I was a minute too late.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I didn't notice they had gone up until I saw your comment. Look at the Mumak's price, it has never gone up in price before and now it is £10 more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah I'm old school, while I'd like to do warbands I cba to make my mates move on. This price raise is ridiculous. If I buy new I will be paying 100% more than when I first started.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The mumak is $100 dollars now. That's a $20 price increase. That is insane. The balrog increased $12, who would pay that much for a PLASTIC mini? I could see if it was metal or even FC, but plastic? Come on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:09 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Any idea if the price increase was destined for Australia too? We already pay way more than the rest of the world!

All prices seem unchanged now on the GW website and also dont seem to increase once in the checkout.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:45 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You also have a minimum wage that is double what it is in the US. Stop complaining.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm still not over the last increase. Are you kidding me? lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:04 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin wrote:
You also have a minimum wage that is double what it is in the US. Stop complaining.

You assume we are on minimum wage... ? Lol, if we were then we certainly wouldn't be able to afford anything from GWS.

It's not about how much we earn it's about how much we are willing to pay for small plastic figures!
If we don't complain, then we are accepting the increase and any future increase. I firmly believe that if you are unhappy about something then you SHOULD voice your concern/discourse - this for me is a good forum to voice it!

Please don't tell people to stop complaining.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next