All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 2:33 am

Post subject: Alternative Models to GW
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Given the rising prices by GW and the lack of detail/options on some of the older models such as Mordor Orcs, I wanted to start a placeholder for model alternatives to GW models for Lotr. This isn't meant to be a slight against GW models, I feel the character models and many of the newer plastics are fantastic (despite the high cost), but some of the older stuff just doesn't cut it for me.

I'll start off with a few Alternatives I've found:

1) Wargames Factory Orcs - these are multipart, highly detailed, and fit well with the GW scale. I've actually been combining the upper halves with the GW Orc lower halves to get some interesting combinations as I'm not a big fan of the barefoot lower halves supplied in the Wargames Factory Orc set.

2) Wargames Factory Sumarai - these are also multpart kits with highly detailed components. I plan to use these as alternatives to the GW Khandish Warriors.

3) Perry Miniatures Wars of the Roses Infantry - these would be good alternatives for warriors of Arnor and possibly the Fiefdoms. I don't own one of these sets so I haven't seen the parts up close but based on the pics I've seen online they look pretty good. One other user on this forum also used them as Pikemen for Men-at_Arms.
 Post subject: Re: Alternative Models to GW
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Try 'Reaper miniatures' they make excellent mini's that fit in with the scale, i have quite a few, including an interesting version of the elf twins.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Check out Warlord Games for terrific ECW Highlander Clan miniatures to use as Fiefdom troop. Roughly same scale as GW.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:31 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

eBob Miniatures - The Rebellion range has numerous models that can be used as various Gondorian fiefdoms, especially Lamedon and Dol Amroth. Lady Greensleeves could serve as an unarmed Eowyn. In his components section, you will find Swan helms that can be used to convert GW WoMT to soldiers of Dol Amroth. eBob's Tribes of the East range can be used as Khand, but may need some weapon swaps. His Fantasy section includes a Giant Eagle, Giant Spider, a Pony (Bill) and a Townsfolk blister (Bree, anyone)? In his Commercial License section, you will find armatures of dwarves and halflings. There are other models on the website that might not necessarily find a specific proxy use in LotR, such as horses, camels, etc, but have a look around. eBob Miniatures are all metal, and roughly the same size as LotR plastics.

Wargames Factory - Hammer of the Gods range features three boxed sets that are often considered good alternatives to Dunlendings or Rohirrim: Saxon Thegns, Viking Bondi, and Viking Huscarls. I'm not sure, but these may be a bit bigger than GW's LotR miniatures. If you're combining the two different orc boxed sets, maybe not.

Mithril Miniatures - Produces officially licensed models based on the the books. For this reason, many of the models may not blend in well with GW's PJ-inspired range, but with the exception of LotR Heroclix, there are no other in-production LotR miniature lines. Mithril Miniatures are 32mm tall, so a bit bigger than GW's LotR range, in addition to the stylistic differences. Still, a lot of "book only" characters and warriors may be worth checking out.

Perry Miniatures - Samurai and Korean models might serve as fair Khandish troops. The Muslim Crusaders might pass as Harad. Perry metals are a bit bigger than GW's LotR, but just a bit. Many historical miniatures can serve well as LotR proxies, much more so than many of the other fantasy ranges available.

Black Tree Design - Speaking of official LotR lines, Harlequin Miniatures, now owned by BTD, used to produce an official LotR range of figures. Apparently, they're still on the website, according to other users here on OR, but every time I visit, the Fantasy section only has models that are clearly Warhammer-inspired, so...? I don't know. I found that Noble Knight Games stocks some of this LotR range.

Frozzboz, there are two threads, (somewhere on this site!) showcasing eBob Miniatures as well as specific Reaper models that could be used for LotR that you might be interested in viewing.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:28 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I use a couple D&D trebuchets which I love and a D&D stone giant. Built my own siege bows. A horde of spiders from Halloween. I got some rats from halloween too that I'd like to convert to wargs although that project is aways off. I bought these toy dragons but they were too small for a Dragon so I clipped its wings and made them drakes (I think the GW drake is too big personally) Bases I buy the 25mm in bulk off Ebay and 40mm I use poker chips since they oddly are that size exactly and they are nicely weighted. I'd like to make some ents eventually too after shaping a tree with tie wire seemed easy enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:52 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wargames factory.

I have their orcs. I also have their Viking Huscarls which I will turn into Rohirram, Ancient germans war band for dunlandings.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gripping Beast.

Fantastic old style pewter models for a wide range of historical periods, as well as two Dark Age plastic boxes for Saxons and Vikings.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:03 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Warlord Games have Celts, Dacians, Ancient Germans and Britons that could be useful for Wildmen (among others).
Ebob's Rebellion series has some tasty troops.
Fireforge games make some great looking cavalry (infantry to follow eventually) from the Crusades era - Templars and their sergeants, Teutonics. These could substitute for KOMT and/or Dol Amroth.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:12 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Also check out Westwind - Dwarf wars. They have a great selection of metal minis - I ordered a bunch of their dwarves. They look pretty cool. Their elfs look ok too - although I find them too 'chunky'. They also have orcs. I picked up some of these on Ebay. They are more like Warhammer orcs than LOTR orcs so might not suit everyone.