All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:32 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Finecast Releases for August
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:28 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks GW is mainly aiming to provoke panic buying of things I want just before they go out of print in metal. I wish Finecast would go the way of new coke, but I'm not holding out much hope.

If you want Men at Arms of Dol Amroth, now is the time to get them. Finecast *pikes* sound like a recipe for disaster between warping and snapping.

Thank God for Ebay.

Edit: Gah! The cost of everything is going up but Gundabad Blackshields are about to DOUBLE!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:12 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oldman Willow wrote:
Quote:
I would love a Finecast one :) Means I could actually transport it around without fearing it breaking or chipping!
:no: all you have to worry about is melting :!: :no: It will not chip, the paint will just come off in ribbons when it flexes.

Quote:
I sometimes have issues with weapons on the finecast, but the actual model itself has always been good casts for lotr.

I never in 20 years purchased a defective metal model from Games Workshop. However, I have never purchased a fine cast model that was not defective. I am sick of Games Work shop employees treating me like I am stupid. The definition of good customer service is not replacing defective products with more defective products. Stop telling me fine cast is better because you don't have the tools or skill to work with metal. I know you work for Games Workshop. Did the leave out the customer is always right when you took customer service classes.
Quote:
the actual model itself has always been good casts for lotr

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Did you some how miss that all of the great beast models were defective. :shock: :shock: :shock:
You sent them out anyway :!: Now I am supposed to listen when you say everything is ok.
The number one rule of customer service is if you do something well the customer will remember forever, but if you do something wrong the customer will tell a hundred people.
Finecast is a disgrace. You should be ashamed of yourself for promoting it.

Never had an issue with it melting.. not in the UK anway..

I've never said I work for GW, and I don't. I have good friends who work for GW, which is where I usually get info from.
I've had miscast metals, and even miscast plastics, and GW have always replaced them and eventually you get a good cast.
I have skills working with metal, I just prefer finecast, its easier to work with in my opinion.
I have seen plenty of miscast models, and plenty more perfectly fine models, it's hit and miss whether they are moulded correctly or not. I've seen the same with Forgeworld stuff, it can be horribly miscast at times, parts missing, parts bent and yet no-one complains about them.

There's no conspiracy, it's just a learning curve of the mould makers getting used to the material and casting it correctly.

There will always be bubbles and mistakes, but in the year finecast has been around, the amount of returns is less and less with each release.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:10 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
I've never said I work for GW, and I don't.

I was under the impression you were an employee. So I am sorry I directed my displeasure and contempt for GW toward you. :oops:
Quote:
There's no conspiracy,
:roll:
Never said there was. Labeling some one you disagree with as a conspiracy theorist is lame. :lol: :lol: I thew the first stone so I will let it go. :E
Quote:
There will always be bubbles and mistakes, but in the year finecast has been around, the amount of returns is less and less with each release.

I did not return my last miscast. I wrote it off as a waste of time. I no longer purchase fine cast period. There are lot of other companies that don't ship defective products.I will do business with them.
If your standard are low enough to be a finecast apologist then I have a deal for you on some swamp land in Alabama. It is a little bit pricy but after you clean it up to the EPA's satisfaction ( all the unexploded ordnance you know) it will make a nice place for alligators to live. :rofl:
Done commenting on finecast :E

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:28 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

well, I guess I'll be getting 2 blisters each of Guards of the Galadhrim Court and Guards of the Fountain Court soon :roll: Luckily it's my birthday in two weeks. I don't want to have to pay twice the price for eight models, than the price now for 6 metal ones. And somehow, pikes and finecast don't sound like they go together :o And in terms of Treebeard, I know he'd be more expensive in Finecast (about €46-€47 I think, as opposed to the €36 he is now), but do you think he'd be better in Finecast or metal? He's another model I would like for an army, but I wasn't planning on getting him for a good while, but now... :?

Good find btw, thanks 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:32 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Oldman Willow wrote:
Quote:
There's no conspiracy,
:roll:
Never said there was. Labeling some one you disagree with as a conspiracy theorist is lame. :lol: :lol: I thew the first stone so I will let it go. :E

Charlie, I think perhaps you have jumped once again to the wrong conclusion. I suggest you read the post before Dezartfox's reply, posted by Ring of Gyges who openly declared himself a conspiracy theorist.
As much as I disagree with Dezartfox's upbeat promotion of finecast, (and I speculate that probably 80% of OR members do also), he is entitled to his opinion, and does not deserve to be called lame for merely replying to another post other than yours.

Come on man. You are old enough to know better than name calling. :no:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:34 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

@Dezartfox, thanks for the heads up about finecast. Looks like I'll be buying a couple of blisters of Blackshields, asnd a blister each of Bl;ack Numenoreans and Black Guard, even though I probably have ebough, and I converted many out of plastic. The Blackshields are particulrly offputting in FC.

By the way, the Cave Drake is perfectly fine in metal, I don't mind pinning, as its only one of about 4 or 5 models I've pinned anyway, and it's never broken, and the paint only ever once got chipped, and that was my fault - I dropped it, and nothing broke. Also, the detail of FC models made for metal is the same - I know I have a metal and a FC Troll Chief, and prior to a trade with Dezartfox, had the same with Amdur on foot.

However the only thing I really don't like about FC is the price (that and pendy Orc spear, but they're Orcs anyway). The flash removal, soap cleaning etc is just the same effort as pinning. The major defected models can easly be replaced for better ones. It's not hot enough to melt them here in Farnworth. The lighter weight makes them easier to transport, and I like people looking at a painted one expecting it to be metal only o pick it up find that it isn't.

Oh and for those of you who don't know, finecast is not plastic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Is the finecast version of the dwarf champion likely to come out OK? None of the finecast figures I have bought before have had banners. It is a choice between that and some men at arms of dol amroth. I will also get Erkenbrand as I have been meaning to get him for ages.
I presume there will be a 4th figure in the Black Guard Command. Do we know what it will be?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Walters wrote:
I presume there will be a 4th figure in the Black Guard Command. Do we know what it will be?

It sayys thetre is a 4th model, but you've just reminded me, thats what I was going to ask, anyone know? Dezartfox?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Walters wrote:
Is the finecast version of the dwarf champion likely to come out OK? None of the finecast figures I have bought before have had banners. It is a choice between that and some men at arms of dol amroth. I will also get Erkenbrand as I have been meaning to get him for ages.

If anything is wrong with the Kings champion, it will be the axe heads, I had the same issue with all the dwarven finecast. However as they are separate they will probably be fine. The banners are usually spot on.

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Walters wrote:

It sayys thetre is a 4th model, but you've just reminded me, thats what I was going to ask, anyone know? Dezartfox?

If there's only three variants they'll repeat one, same for the other repackaged sets of 3's I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Come on man. You are old enough to know better than name calling. :no:

I stand corrected

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, I just purchased nine blisters last night, hopefully I will get the metals......My opinion of fine cast is similar to others, it has, so far, been an absolute nightmare in comparison to metal. Not a single one of the finecast models I have purchased has been free of some form of defect. Every one, I think I have had one metal that was miscast to the point of returning. There are just so many bubbles, in all the wrong places.....fingers, faces, weapons, decorative items, banners. Even some bubbles that are sub surface and are not apparent until pushing the model into the base, reshaping or cleaning it, causing the model to deform. The choice of resin and a severe lack of QA/QC is the problem. GW's replacement policy is great, but so are other companies, companies that also cast in resin with a lot of fine detail ( spartan games, reaper, etc.) and have far fewer defects that leave the factory.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Id put up with finecast if it was cheaper than the metal figs, but I hear its a cheaper product to produce yet they charge more for it!!! woopee !

they only reason I buy that cack is its usually unavaible in any other form and certain models go for the same if not more on ebay anyway :/

also on a side note I for one am sad that the metal models are being phased out! .. I remember being a kid and getting metal models in a blister, when it feels like theres some quality in there as they are hardcore metal unlike toys you may have that are simerler .. the smell and the feel of new metal models is classic and intrinsic to games workshop .. without that they will always lose something for me.. for goodness sake people finecast may be easier for certain stuff but it costs more and its not METAL!! ... metal models should weigh more and feel expensive .. finecast seems lighter than the plastics !! .. groan groan finecast = bad + I wont go into the obvious other problems with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dezartfox wrote:
Walters wrote:

If there's only three variants they'll repeat one, same for the other repackaged sets of 3's I think.

Probably the Captain or the Drummer then, as they won't put two Banners in there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

My only problem with FC is the price. I'd be more than ok with FC if it wasn't so much more expensive than the metal ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

tlotrsbg wrote:
Id put up with finecast if it was cheaper than the metal figs, but I hear its a cheaper product to produce yet they charge more for it!!! woopee !
they only reason I buy that cack is its usually unavaible in any other form and certain models go for the same if not more on ebay anyway :/

Well they have to recoup their losses from all the defective Finecrap models that have to be replaced or refunded somehow. And the only way they know how is the Pricehammer - overhauling Quality Assurance hasn't occurred to them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Probably the Captain or the Drummer then, as they won't put two Banners in there.

Oh for the command I'm not sure.. Might just be a generic guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
My only problem with FC is the price. I'd be more than ok with FC if it wasn't so much more expensive than the metal ones.

+1

:puppy:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:00 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

What can I say I'm sad lol I would buy them all if they were made of ice :o its an illness :?

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, i have not recieved a you order has shipped email from gw yet, so my hopes on getting metal are going down. Things usually come in two days because i only live one state away.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

was in the gw in the netherlands aswell, also placed an order before its finecast.. he said it would be delivered and he also said he was unaware of the finecast changes at the 18th althought he also said that the prices probebly be wrong.. hehe
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next