All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:34 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Trilogy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
It's not like they are going to run out of material. So many things happened at the same time. I'm sure they could easily make 3 films out of it. Really looking forward to it!

^This is likely the case. I just don't like it because they're postponing the end of the story, but yet again if they can't fit the whole entire material into two films that they have to make a third film it's probably for the best. I just wonder if they're going to make extended editions now which I would find strange; the goal originally being to make two films but they were so overloaded in material that they must make a third, if they have extended versions later then they must of really outdone themselves.

How about this for a title: "The Hobbit Rises", or "Rise of The Hobbit". Apparently the word "rise" is very popular these days for movie titles.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Excellent news, though The Hobbit might be a small book there is so much going on in the world at the same time as well as the 60 years between it and LOTR that I don't think they'll struggle to fill 3 films, I just wonder how long the films will be and whether there will be shorter theatrical releases and then extended blu-rays or just the one version of each?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The third film can't have much to do with the actual events of the Hobbit book, since they don't have time to film anything before the first movie's release in December, and that movie already takes up half of the book (up to the barrel escape). What I am curious about though is that the third film will release just 6 months after after the second. I guess a lot of the footage they are using has already been filmed. Maybe they had a lot of extra that they couldn't fit into the films and so if they film a tiny bit more they would have another movie.

Thanks!

Maermaethor.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Imladris96 wrote:
I hope they were going to do what some people suggested, make the hobbit 1 & 2 and make another movie to bridge it to lord of the rings.

This is most likely what they're gonna do, it's just easier to mash them all up under one title.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/07 ... ie-titles/ Ok, this kinda worries me. Granted, this might just be for the second movie, but still, these are wierd names.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
Imladris96 wrote:
I hope they were going to do what some people suggested, make the hobbit 1 & 2 and make another movie to bridge it to lord of the rings.

This is most likely what they're gonna do, it's just easier to mash them all up under one title.

yeah but it also has to make sense. If the story of The Hobbit ends in the second film, then why have the third film under the same title when the main characters of the first two films won't even be involved except for Gandalf. Also chronologically Gandalf left Thorin's Company to head south to join the White Council and confront the Necromancer at Dol Guldur then head back to the Battle of the Five Armies. And if this trilogy will be anything like Lotr then Jackson is probably telling the story chronologically. That's why I agree with Sticky's point, because if they tell The Hobbit story in the first two films which would likely include Dol Guldur, then what's this bridge movie will be about that leads into Fellowship of the Ring? You already know that Bilbo found the ring and head back to Hobbiton and Sauron fled Dol Guldur. What else does the appendices have that would warrant a third movie?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think there are two possibilities about the movie.

1) This might sound weird. What if Peter Jackson decided to push some of his footage from the two original films back and chose to add some extra stories of Middle-Earth in the first movie. Maybe he decided to include some background stories on other characters like Elrond or Glorfindel. He may even add some footage on the Last Alliance or Sauron's rise of power in Dol Guldur.

2)He may just use the Third film as a lead up to the Lord of the Rings. He might include how the members of the Fellowship each lived before the War of the Ring. For all you know, he might include some battle scenes of Osgiliath and how Denethor told Boromir to go and fetch the ring, etc. Maybe he might show how Aragorn lived before the war. For all you know, he might just add some old footage from the old trilogy itself.

*Edit*
He might also add Balin's expedition to Moria 8)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I can see him adding aragorn's hunt for gollum in the third film, and possibly his capture by the wood elves

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

boromir_of_ithilien wrote:
2)He may just use the Third film as a lead up to the Lord of the Rings. He might include how the members of the Fellowship each lived before the War of the Ring. For all you know, he might include some battle scenes of Osgiliath and how Denethor told Boromir to go and fetch the ring, etc. Maybe he might show how Aragorn lived before the war. For all you know, he might just add some old footage from the old trilogy itself.

LOL that's really wishful thinking. Haven't heard any rumours of the other actors from the Lotr trilogy returning to make another film. Besides I already have an idea of what Boromir was like before the Fellowship as a family man in Game of Thrones. :lol:

No, I believe Peter just ran out of screen time to tell his full version of the Hobbit and 2 three hour long movies wouldn't be enough and putting the cut outs on extended versions didn't seem right to him and his team. So a third film, no new material added, just fitting in all that he already scripted to give a complete story telling, that's what I'm reading from the articles and interviews. Anyway speculation, speculation... We'll find out what's what soon enough.

Unbelievable that one book can have a trilogy, but The Hobbit did have a lot more going on in it than each individual Lotr book. Plus how can you also tell the story of The Hobbit and not explain Gandalf's disappearing act from the company. Maybe through a short flashback like escape from Orthanc, but full fleshed out battle scene and side plot sounds a lot more interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Chris GoM wrote:
I can see him adding aragorn's hunt for gollum in the third film, and possibly his capture by the wood elves

That was during Fellowship, material they excluded from the film adaptation. I don't see this happening because you also have to think; "what is the point?" The purpose of Gandalf and Aragorn capturing Gollum was to find out how much information he knew about Bilbo and the Ring and they also found out that the enemy got to him first leading to the Nine being sent to Hobbiton. I don't see them finishing a major film trilogy with that story line, especially when they felt that "Scourging of the Shire" was a bit ant-climatic to put on film to end a trilogy.

edit:
You know what they could do? Just like those Marvel movies, put an easter egg at the end of the credits and have Viggo do a cameo with Serkis and Mckellan. I wouldn't mind that for a tie-in.

Last edited by Sacrilege83 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yup, you're probably right. I'm really excited for the movies!

I'm also excited for what GW might release! They'll probably make the whole company of Thorin, Beorn, Smaug, and some other characters. They might even make some Men of Dale! 8)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would be excited for that if it wasn't for Finecast and their continuous and consistant price hiking. My only hope now are second hand bargain bins and liquidation sells from indies. Also Christmas and B-day I'll treat myself, or some depressing futre event in my life that would lead me to go on a spend thrift to lay me at ease. lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Chris GoM wrote:

I could also see them adding in the (legitimate) love story of Aragorn and Arwen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I too look forward to the range, but not the prices. Although I doubt that'll stop me, and hopefully they'll release a battleforce type box for Dale, Goblins, Mirkwood, and the Dwarves, and a new starter set, to help beginners get into the hobby. If this happened, I guess the starter set would be released with the first film, and the battleforces with the second

Sacrilege83 wrote:
That was during Fellowship, material they excluded from the film adaptation. I don't see this happening because you also have to think; "what is the point?"

Oh, I didn't realise it was in the book, it's been too long since I've read the books.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Chris GoM wrote:
I too look forward to the range, but not the prices. Although I doubt that'll stop me, and hopefully they'll release a battleforce type box for Dale, Goblins, Mirkwood, and the Dwarves, and a new starter set, to help beginners get into the hobby. If this happened, I guess the starter set would be released with the first film, and the battleforces with the second

GW definitely has to release Thorin's Company. It like one whole warband already. They also have to release some Men of Dale. They should also expand their Mirkwood and Arnor/Ranger products. And maybe even add Deagol and Smeagol. :gollum:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I'm a bit confused with these news. In PJ i trust... I mean, he made the impossible with the Lord of the Rings trilogy but...

I still can't figure out how you plan it all to be 2 movies, you film it all to be 2 movies, you fit it all together to be 2 movies... and you end up with enough extra stuff to make a proper 3rd movie. :?

This guy sums it up, really.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:50 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

sweet, that video wasn't bad and did sum it up quite nicely.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:04 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Personally I can see that with really exploring the Necromancer bits this could easily be three movies. I cannot wait to see how PJ dives into that part of the story! :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think that guy makes an interesting point. As for the titles I think The Battle of Five Armies sounds good, I'm not too keen on the Desoltion of Smaug but it might grow on me.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That video was good! I trust that Peter Jackson can pull it off.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next