All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Finecast Releases for August
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Is there anyone actually excited for the new release? :x Or are we just going to complain about it till the end of our days? I for one am indifferent about Finecast. It has it's problems yes but it also has advantages. Whoop-De-do. Everything does. :roll:

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Based on dollars Cave Drake probably gonna cost 45 pounds, 9 pound raise... hmmmm.

Last edited by Bartelomeus on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Billiant model The Cave Drake, but £45.00 way to expensive!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wah Wing wrote:
Is there anyone actually excited for the new release? :x Or are we just going to complain about it till the end of our days? I for one am indifferent about Finecast. It has it's problems yes but it also has advantages. Whoop-De-do. Everything does. :roll:

We're just going to complain :rofl: Although I'm looking forwards to the King's Champion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wah Wing wrote:

What would the advantages be? Not to sound like a pessimist or a smartarse here, but I had very few, if any, problems with metal models. Any of the ones I did have (bent spears, weapons broken off at the hand) I've also encountered in my half dozen finecast purchases. Right now, 1 out of the five products I bought was good. One was fine and three needed serious work. Even looking on the bright side of things, that would be a 40% success rate. All with a higher price point tacked on.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
is there anyone actually excited for the new release

I do not want a poor quality resin copy of a model I already have. :roll: So no :no:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
What would the advantages be?

For starters, it's lighter and pinning is easier than with metals, and the paint is less likely to chip off like metal does.

You are entitled to your opinions but why ruin the hobby for the beginners by saying a bunch of negative things about it. I think I've heard more complaints than praises ever since I started this hobby 3-4 years ago. :( Why can't we be happy for what we have? Without GW, would we have LotR models at all?

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:11 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Wah Wing wrote:

I am excited about the new releases, maybe not so much in August as its all stuff I already have but for the future Hobbit releases for sure. As a collector I have come far to far to be beaten now. Ok fartcast may be an inferior product and I'll check every purchase in-store for defects but it won't stop me from completing my collection. The main downside for me is for the most time I have been collecting I order online which of course now I will be unable to do, just means I'll have to do a little exercise and go to a store instead... :shock: So for that Thanks very much GW! :shock: :-X For the larger fartcast models which require lord only knows what doing to them to make them fit together as they should well errr .... I'll send them to Ukfreddybear :D

So in answer to your question Wah Wing - Yes, I am! :)

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
Wah Wing wrote:
For the larger fartcast models which require lord only knows what doing to them to make them fit together as they should well errr .... I'll send them to Ukfreddybear :D

:x :sad:

:-D Only joking. You know I enjoy helping you out :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wah Wing wrote:
You are entitled to your opinions but why ruin the hobby for the beginners by saying a bunch of negative things about it.

So we should ignore all of GW's flaws? (of which there are a lot). If we don't mention our frustations with GW, those very "beginners" will eventually become aware of and experience them themselves, regardless. They can only take so many price increases, cost cutting measures and poor quality models before they get disillusioned themselves of their own accord. Anyway, its not the "hobby" that we're criticising - its Gamesworkshop. The Hobby does not equal GW - there are other companies and games out there that are really good quality and manage not to rip you off.

Wah Wing wrote:
I think I've heard more complaints than praises ever since I started this hobby 3-4 years ago.

Yes well, it just so happens that you joined the (GW) Hobby at a bad time for the LotR in particular.

Wah Wing wrote:
:( Why can't we be happy for what we have? Without GW, would we have LotR models at all?

Categorically yes. Thomarillion does its own seperate licenced miniatures line for the Lord of the Rings (a book based licence as opposed to a based movie licence). And without GW, either another big Wargaming Company would fill the void (and may well have won the licence to do miniatures based on the movies) or the market would have been more open - in which case there might have been more than one company granted a licence.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
I think I've heard more complaints than praises ever since I started this hobby 3-4 years ago. :( Why can't we be happy for what we have? Without GW, would we have LotR models at all?
:shock: :shock: :shock:
I started collecting Miniatures in the very early 1980's The oldest LOTR miniatures I own are marked 1977. I have figures from more than six companies that had licenses at one time or the other.If GW did not have the license there would still be figures. I am sure I would have fewer complaints. :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wah Wing wrote:
For starters, it's lighter and pinning is easier than with metals, and the paint is less likely to chip off like metal does.

You are entitled to your opinions but why ruin the hobby for the beginners by saying a bunch of negative things about it. I think I've heard more complaints than praises ever since I started this hobby 3-4 years ago. :( Why can't we be happy for what we have? Without GW, would we have LotR models at all?

I personally don't like the reduced weight, but that is a personal preference (albeit one that is quite common.) I'll admit that large models would likely not be as unwieldy if they are cast properly, but look what happened with the Great Beast? As for the vast majority of LoTR minis, pinning is not required so that point is largely moot. As Oldman Willow has said before, paint won't chip but it will still come off if the finecast resin bends or droops in high heat.

Frankly, if I were a beginner I'd want to know about all the downsides as well as the good things before I invest my money into something. If I discovered this thing at the release of The Hobbit stuff later this year, I highly doubt that I would get into it as much as I am, if at all. The prices have gone up exponentially in the last decade, and while I do have a better job at 26 than I did at 16 my wage has not gone up 3-400 percent.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:14 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

But has anyone forced you to buy the new ones? No, so stop complaining. And I've seen some of the old LotR minis, they look horrible.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
But has anyone forced you to buy the new ones? No, so stop complaining. And I've seen some of the old LotR minis, they look horrible.

Well, the new finecast or nothing. Those are my options, and I don't like them. Obviously they aren't going to change things because of that simple fact, but they will lose most (if not all) of my business. It seems like I'm not the only one who is choosing the latter option, either. They didn't give it enough of a test run before shipping it out, upped the price for an arguably cheaper material and then stuff this "FINEcast" propaganda down our throats I'm sick of their business practices. I will probably buy a few bits and pieces from The Hobbit range when it hits, but nothing like the $60-100 a month I would have spent a couple of years ago. For the record, I agree that a lot of GW's LoTR range isn't great. That was largely due to sculpting though, not the casting medium. I'm curious though, what are some of the ones you are referring to specifically?

In any event, what right do you have to tell me to put up and shut up? I'm giving my frustrated opinion, which wasn't aimed at personally injuring anyone (not even someone at GW) so it's not as though I'm insulting you or anyone else. I suggest you take your own advice; no one's forcing you to read my posts, so stop complaining.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:49 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
But has anyone forced you to buy the new ones?

They can not and will not :P
Quote:
No, so stop complaining

NO :!: :-X
Quote:
And I've seen some of the old LotR minis, they look horrible

They don't have air bubbles :!:
They don't melt in sun light :!:
Paint does not peal off :!:
horrible :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Early GW figures were as bad or worse :!: Everyone's figures have gotten better over time. Have you ever seen some of the Perry Twins early figures :?: Many of the old GW artist have there own businesses now. I would rather do business with many of them anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:50 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:

For gods sake, do you have to be so rude? Most of the complaints are valid. We want to buy these models and continue playing the game, but we're not happy with the quality of models, the prices, etc. Do you really find it so intolerable that people might actually want a fair deal, value-for-money, and at least a little respect from GW for its (often patient and loyal) customers? Because that is certainly not what we've been getting in recent years.

Disregarding our points of view in such a flippant and rude way ("You're not forced to buy them so shutup") is not helpful.

Last edited by Pindergorn on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:56 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lord Hurin wrote:
For the record, I agree that a lot of GW's LoTR range isn't great. That was largely due to sculpting though, not the casting medium. I'm curious though, what are some of the ones you are referring to specifically.

Haldir's Lothlorien Elves, unarmoured Haldir, the original Arwen, Last Alliance Elrond and Gil Galad and possibly some of the original fellowship are some notable Marmite-like "love it or hate it" models. (dodgy faces, static poses, terrible sculpting etc).

Last edited by Pindergorn on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:02 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

King Ondoher wrote:
Haldir's Lothlorien Elves, unarmoured Haldir, the original Arwen, Last Alliance Elrond and Gil Galad and possibly some of the original fellowship are some notable Marimite-like "love it or hate it" models. (dodgy faces, static poses, terrible sculpting etc).

That's fair. Those Fellowship Lorien bowmen weren't great, and the Haldir from that period had the strangest pose. I love the Elrond model, as it has good detail. As for the Fellowship, I think they are all solid models but they were improved upon by what came after, like Oldman Willow said above. GW's stuff has gotten better over time. Even now, the sculpts and poses of the finecast exclusive minis are some of the best yet but I can't be sure I'll get good copies. How many metal miniatures have you bought that were miscast so badly as to be missing entire sections of the mini? Out of ~ two hundred metals I've gotten maybe half a dozen. Out of 16 finecast, I've so far gotten 5 or 6 that will need sculpey to be whole again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:45 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
two hundred metals I've gotten maybe half a dozen. Out of 16 finecast, I've so far gotten 5 or 6 that will need sculpey to be whole again.

I have never had a miscast GW metal figure in 20 years. I had a few with missing parts or two left arms. They were always replaced with out question. I do not know how many GW figures I own but it would be lots. I have over 200 treemen. I do have all of the LOTR current line and all but a very few of the 1985 GW line.
My fine cast purchases have been limited to the new figures produced in Finecast .They were ALL,100%, defective including replacements.
I have been a good customer to GW for over 20 years but I don't collect plastic or resin. We will see what happens with The Hobbit :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:19 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oldman Willow wrote:
I have never had a miscast GW metal figure in 20 years. I had a few with missing parts or two left arms. They were always replaced with out question.

Most, if not all of mine have been weapons snapped off at the hand. Simple fixes with a dab of glue. Obviously I didn't count bent pikes and spears, but this is a bigger issue with finecast, I've found.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next