PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

X-files cancer eater I believe.
 Post subject: Re: Thranduil Revealed
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I am trying hard not to make any age-related comments but "X-files as a childhood memory" just struck me funny.

Regarding the Goblin...no one seems to blink when humans from different areas (or even the SAME area) look different from each other but it seems a lot of people assume monsters/aliens from film and story will all look pretty much the same no matter where they reside. As long as he didn't reinvent the whole Goblin look I think having the ones from the Misty Mountains look a little different than those from Moria is fine. And also keep in mind all the variation in the Orcs from the LotR films. A couple still image examples of those would do very little to convey the variety that is presented on the screen.

All that being said...I just can't see those guys singing.

Goblins quaff, and Goblins beat
Goblins laugh, and Goblins bleat
Batter, jabber, whip, and taver hoooooo!
Below, my lad!
Ho, ho! my lad!

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:

Below, my lad!
Ho, ho! my lad!

"Down down to Goblin Town"

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gob ... ORM=IQFRBA
They look like more "Dance Magic" to me :lol:
Form follows function. A latex mask and a sock puppet are made about the same way.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Amarthadan wrote:
You guys are forgetting that the goblins in LOTR are only seen in the dark pale light of Moria.:) If you were to wear these masks in a cave they'd look 'green' enough.:p

It's not the color that I don't like, it's the design.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:02 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Beowulf03809 wrote:
I am trying hard not to make any age-related comments but "X-files as a childhood memory" just struck me funny.

Regarding the Goblin...no one seems to blink when humans from different areas (or even the SAME area) look different from each other but it seems a lot of people assume monsters/aliens from film and story will all look pretty much the same no matter where they reside. As long as he didn't reinvent the whole Goblin look I think having the ones from the Misty Mountains look a little different than those from Moria is fine. And also keep in mind all the variation in the Orcs from the LotR films. A couple still image examples of those would do very little to convey the variety that is presented on the screen.

Below, my lad!
Ho, ho! my lad!

It looks like he redid the whole design. I understand that you con't tell the overall look of all of the goblins from just a few pictures, but they look VERY different from everything else we've seen so far. And a seperation of only a hundred miles from Moria wouldn't make them look that much different.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't think they look vastly different tbh - only as different as Gondorian and Rohirric men look from each other. Or Noldor and Sindar.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:17 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The only difference for those examples are hair color, dress and a little bit of facial structure. Compare these new goblins with the old goblins. VERY different facial structure, very different hair (what are those things anyway?) and different skin colors.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah but orc to orc, Uruk to Uruk, goblin to goblin, they all have very different facial structures - the only common thread is ugly. :rofl:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Beowulf03809 wrote:

I used to watch it on occasion with my parents when I was about 10. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I do wonder now how much of these newer or different designs were originally Del Toro's ideas and creations that PJ kept on board for whatever reason (time constraints, quality, etc). Thorin's Company really struck me at first, I was expecting designs to be consistent with what we saw in Gimli and the Dwarves at the Council of Elrond, but they've grown on me quickly and I accept the originality. But these Goblins took me by surprise. I think I was anticipating goblins that looked a bit larger (fatter?), more intelligent than the ones we saw in Moria. I'm not sure. I don't think this design is bad, but... Anyway, Elrond looks awesome, I'm fine with Thranduil.

By the way, did anyone know that Del Toro is still on as a writer? I thought he had left the project completely. This may be why some of the designs are so inconsistent with what we were expecting, but its a theory with little evidence.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I guess we can't see how their bodies look, but these Goblins look deformed with massive growths coming out of their necks and heads. Perhaps this book just used images of the most strikingly ugly Goblins, but I'm not sure I like them much.

Thing is, everyone I've talked to thought the Moria Goblins in Fellowship were damn near perfect. I don't see any reason to change their appearance so drastically. Their armour and clothing, sure. Why their bone structure though?

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:23 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Lord Hurin wrote:
I guess we can't see how their bodies look, but these Goblins look deformed with massive growths coming out of their necks and heads. Perhaps this book just used images of the most strikingly ugly Goblins, but I'm not sure I like them much.

Thing is, everyone I've talked to thought the Moria Goblins in Fellowship were damn near perfect. I don't see any reason to change their appearance so drastically. Their armour and clothing, sure. Why their bone structure though?

Exactly. They look like something out of either Hellboy or Pan's Labyrinth, both of which were made by Del Toro.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:14 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
They look like something out of either Hellboy or Pan's Labyrinth, both of which were made by Del Toro.

They also look like goblins from another half a gross movies from before you were born. A rubber mask with a pointed nose and pointed ears. I have not seen the book yet but I would not be surprised to see the same mask in the back ground of any of the previous movies or the 1960 version of the Outer Limits or the Twilight Zone. They look like the type of mask non speaking extras wear. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The Great Goblin (or “Goblin-King”) The Big Pink Orc is The Goblin King. There was an interesting article speculating on the movie from information included in the toy releases at http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/09 ... ographies/
I think the author makes great leaps to his conclusions :!: However it is an interesting article.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oldman Willow wrote:
The Great Goblin (or “Goblin-King”) The Big Pink Orc is The Goblin King. There was an interesting article speculating on the movie from information included in the toy releases at http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/09 ... ographies/
I think the author makes great leaps to his conclusions :!: However it is an interesting article.

I quite like the theory about Radagast.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As fort the Orc images posted earlier, I don't think the first and thrid are that bad and not necessarily too much of a diversion. The second and fourth I tend to agree with the negative posters above. I agree about the Moria goblins. Not how I pictured them in advance of the film at all but now that I have that image I see them like that when I re-read. But for the Hobbit the Goblins needed to manhandle the Dwarves and the Great Goblin even rushed to attack Thorin (I believe) when they discovered Orcrist. The smaller goblins from Moria worked as a horde image but not very intimidating singly.

Also I always had the impression from reading LotR that for Tolkien the concept of Orc and Goblin were not nearly as divided as they are from the films. What we gamers have come to call Mordor Orcs should be very close cousins of the Goblins of Misty Mountains and Moria. In my mind I always imagined the Moria goblins looking closer to what we saw for the Mordor Orcs but less armored. PJ's Moria Goblins are a new impression of that fully (IMO), but perhaps we're getting back to something more unified between Orc/Goblin?

http://TacticsInMiniature.com