All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:25 pm

Post subject: New Hobbit boxed set
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Given that the Mines of Moria set is getting a little old (how many years is it now 6-7) and is really starting to show it's age in terms of the model's detail ect do you think we will get a new set for the Hobbit movies, the 13 dwarves Gandalf and Bilbo would make a great new 'fellowship' but what scenario could they do. Basically

Will we get a new MoM style set?

What will it be?

and lastly how are they going to but all the new dwarf heroes into the Dwarf army list without ruining it. If they powerful heroes like Balin, Thorin and Gloin to fit with there book based power levels they will have loads over uber-heroes they would struggle to lose, if the made the weaker dwarves especially Nori, Ori ect them dwarves would have loads of low cost heroes and would own at warbands a possible solution to this would be to pair them like the Twins but them they would have loads of similar power level heroes and it would be very difficult to level them all the same so certain 'groupings' would be used all the time and others would get no use at all. So how do they fix this
 Post subject: Re: New Hobbit boxed set
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Maybe they won't include all 13 Dwarves. The pairing option seems viable in my opinion.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I am worried if GW decides to redo the rulesets. I fear they may 'tweak' SBG or worse. It's been around a LONG time and has already undergone many revisions and the current version is pretty clean. If they just want to repackage the rules that's fine but I'd hate to see another evolution at this point...I just don't have faith in GW to not bork it.

As for the lists, look to the White Council and Fellowship warbands for examples. I can see them breaking down the Company into two or three all-Hero warbands with some special rules. They may also offer some (or all) of the Dwarves as individual Heroes if you'd rather play them with more traditional lists.

A box set for this could be done in a very similar style to the MoM but focused on Goblin Town. The Company, Gollumn, Great Goblin and a dozen basic Goblin warriors with some basic scenery.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Maybe add in a stone giant just for fun, which would of course drive the price up another $100. I think that we'll most likey see a bunch of "twins" (Ori, Dori, Nori; Fili, Kili; Bifur, Bofur, Bombur) with a a few medium heros (Balin, Dwalin, Oin) and a couple powerful heros (Gloin, Thorin). Maybe all of them will be paired up, with Thorin joining Fili and Kili. A good way to make sure that they're all different and yet all get used would be to have one set dirt cheap (Bifur, Bofur, Bombur) but have Bombur only move 4 in and something else (maybe make him have to pass courage tests to move, otherwise he gets distracted by food) to make them pretty horrible, and yet worth their low point cost. Then Fili and Kili have Bodyguard, but it only applies to Thorin. I think there're plenty of ways to add all 13 dwarves without killing the game.

On the subject of the rulebook, I'm hoping that the only changes will be in the profiles and the scenarios section. :pray:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Here comes Gloom and Doom. I expect a MoMesque box set along the lines of what was stated previousl . . . i.e. the Dwarves and Bilbo vs. a small horde of Goblins. Rule changes are inevitable and there will likely be a new book.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

IsleStaggerholm wrote:
Here comes Gloom and Doom. I expect a MoMesque box set along the lines of what was stated previousl . . . i.e. the Dwarves and Bilbo vs. a small horde of Goblins. Rule changes are inevitable and there will likely be a new book.

Precisely why I'm holding off on buying sourcebooks/rule books for the armies I'm putting together. It's a large investment.

I'm also trying to stick to only playing with painted armies, so I'm sure I can wait. :-D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dragluin if your idea for Bombur taking courage tests actually happens it would be the best thing in the game ever and I'd buy him instantly.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My fear is that they will cram in a bunch of ugly plastic Heroes ala the Mines of Moria Fellowship and then charge through the nose for it. Hell, 12 infantry are like $30 Canadian now. I don't see it going for less than $120 here, possibly even $150...

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:44 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

When I first saw this, i thought, for a second, that it was on advance order, or at the very least in an online catague of future releases, but was alas disappointed.

In response to your question, I agree that it will be 13 companions vs goblins. Or possably vs Spiders.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
When I first saw this, i thought, for a second, that it was on advance order, or at the very least in an online catague of future releases, but was alas disappointed.

In response to your question, I agree that it will be 13 companions vs goblins. Or possably vs Spiders.

I think the Spiders will be in the second film, I'm not sure. I suppose we could get a boxed set for each one like we did with Lord of the Rings.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sorry :(
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't really care, I don't think I will continue to buy LOTR figures. I also started thinking about to sell a part of my collection (no, not my painted mordor collection), but I have several heroes and warriors unpainted, and I feel that I will never finish those.

This hobby is some kind of addiction.
You just buy the new stuffs over and over, you have amazing plans, but after a few years you realize that you still have a lot of unpainted toys in boxes.

I'm not saying that this hobbi, the wargame is a crazy thing, no. For instance at this Saturday we will do another LOTR tournament. All I say that I won't be a costumer any more. The prizes are very high (and I live in a country with bad salaries).

There will be 3 new movie, that is many character, warrior and monster. I don't want to paint lotr figures all my life.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
: I don't want to paint lotr figures all my life.
:lol:
Sounds like a good plain to me 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Oldman Willow wrote:
Quote:
: I don't want to paint lotr figures all my life.
:lol:
Sounds like a good plain to me 8)

Hear hear, :-D

just make sure not too many of them are finecast though, as they have a shorter lifespan.

ElfGeneral wrote:

Sorry :(

Okay, ah well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:02 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

After seeing the models from Dark Vengence I'm really excited about what we'll get in a Hobbit boxed set.

I think we'll see Bilbo and the 13 Dwarves (maybe a limited edition including Gandalf), not sure who the main enemy will be though.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
I am worried if GW decides to redo the rulesets. I fear they may 'tweak' SBG or worse. It's been around a LONG time and has already undergone many revisions and the current version is pretty clean. If they just want to repackage the rules that's fine but I'd hate to see another evolution at this point...I just don't have faith in GW to not bork it.

Since they just released new rules in February I doubt they will release more.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think if they are clever the starter set for the hobbit will be an outstanding a brilliant set both pricewise and content wise to encourage lots of new players to get into the game, so yeh hopefully something like a stone giant should be in there, I think they know thats the important part to get right.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think that the rules released in February were in preparation for the release of the Hobbit the rules in my view have shorten and streamlined the game whilst still keeping the same level of strategy making it much easier to get into the game. By releasing them earlier it means more long term fans will back into the game before the new influx giving a larger player base but also it allows them to give the new rules a test run prior to the release of the hobbit and change any rules that need changing, in the HBS (Hobbit boxed set I'm getting bored of writing it all out) we will have a rulebook that I think will be an amended to include clarification on whether you can give someone two upgrades and how Gildors upgrade works ect
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think Thorin's company will be one large warband (like the Fellowship and White Council) that can also include Bilbo and Gandalf. My guess as to the starter set would be the Dwarves, Gandalf and Bilbo, Wargs/Wolves and Goblins, and possibly some sort of big creature (which would fit with the other starter sets).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

if there is a new game, seperate from wotr and sbg, what will happen to these though. their are already 2 lotr systems from gw, surely they wont just release a new game, would'nt it be more likely there is a new sourcebook with hobbit models? also what will gw do with there epic scale the battle of five armies set?