All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:22 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dom's miniatures.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very nice Elf there. The base is quite excellent. 8)

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:41 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

very nice!
I like the way that you do videos instead of pics, nice touch 8)

I agree with you about the galadhrim armour - big horse and rider both with full plate armour... a massive impractical sheild just adds to the problem.

all the minis look good ( apart from the older high elf )

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Last edited by SidTheSloth on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks, I can only use my laptop's webcam and it seems to take better videos than pictures.
Love the avatar by the way!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Question 1 - you've got too much of the watered down paint on your brush Dom. When you water the paint down dip the tip of your brush in the paint and you'll see because of the watered down consistency it will pool on the end of the brush. Touch the brush on some scrap paper or something and get rid of that blob of paint from the brush then start to paint you model. When using this technique start applying the paint where you want the colour to be weakest and push the paint towards the area you want the colour to be strongest. It takes longer to build the shades up this way but looks great when you get the hang of it.

Question 2 -

Paint the base colour of the face - ie Dwarf flesh leaving the eye sockets black. Apply your wash as liberally as you like. I personally lash it on and it pools all over. Once this is dry you can highlight the face again with the original basecoat mix , round the black eye sockets and mouth etc. Once dry mix a little white to the basecoat mix and paint the ridge of the nose , the upper lip , chin , cheekbones and forehead. Using this method eliminates the worry of pooling washes on faces .

Oh on a sidenote - if your painting eyes paint them as soon as the wash is dry and then you can touch up any mistakes before you do the bulk of the highlights on the face. Doombull whatever its called is great for touching up eyes, Dark Flesh it used to be called :)
Any more help needed just ask ...

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you for such a fast and comprehensive reply! I will definitely take what you've said on board and go and try the highlights and face techniques now. I might as well delete the video as you've answered me so well! Thanks!! :D
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:37 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Great video. I would be afraid to do videos - far too ugly, thick derry accent (would need subtitles) and I curse quite frequently. No, videos not good for me.
Like the Galadhrim cavalry. Norman cavalry used substantial shields, so it is not totally implausible.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm only really afraid of my mates finding them... probably should have used a fake name! Thanks though and I did think about the Norman shields when I first got the Galadhrim. They have a striking resemblance. Also I don't want to start a flame war but do you mean Londonderry? ;)

*Edit - I just realised you said 'curse' not swear so I imagine you're from a Derry somewhere in the USA and not Derry/Londonderry in the UK. So that's either an averted flamewar or you're a fan of Americanisms.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice work Domy, nice to see you around the OR. It's only just clicked now that I know your youtube page & never realized you were on here too. I've got mine up and I go by MrDrumtastic, but I never update it (I really should though). Keep the video's comin, and it's always nice to see lotr hobby stuff on youtube as there is a serious lack of it.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I believe I am subscribed to you. Some really nice scenery and your desk is tidy compared to mine! Where's that accent from and how's uni?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

DomyHill wrote:
I believe I am subscribed to you. Some really nice scenery and your desk is tidy compared to mine! Where's that accent from and how's uni?

Cheers, well that was my desk on a very good day! I'm Scottish, but I don't have a strong scottish accent - and I sometimes get mistaken for being American (well my uni friends thought so anyway). University is great fun so far, plenty of things happening & I'm always busy (which is why I'm rather inactive at the moment).

Iain 8)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

And you've gone to uni in Bournemouth? Don't you have to pay in England? I know this is going off topic but since DMS answered my question so well there's nothing painting related that I have to say...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

DomyHill wrote:
And you've gone to uni in Bournemouth? Don't you have to pay in England? I know this is going off topic but since DMS answered my question so well there's nothing painting related that I have to say...

Yeah I am, you've got a good memory. I have do have to pay but there wasn't a modelmaking course in Scotland. However I do get some money from the Scottish government & the university itself so it covers some of the costs.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:35 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nice vids! Makes a change to hear a fello member's actual voice! Oh, and BTW Dorth is as Irish as they come. He just likes to confuse people with his ridiculous manipulation of the English language.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Domy, I am from Derry/Londonderry in Northern Ireland. What makes you think curse is more of an American idiom for expletives? Some people curse like a trooper, others swear like a trooper... I hear both. And do both :-)
No flame war - I use Londonderry in all official circumstances, Derry on most unofficial situations. I have no problem with anyone wanting to use either, so don't fret about that. In St. Columb's Cathedral there are records of people who fought on both sides during the last siege (the most famous one). People with my surname were killed in action both defending and attacking - we tell the tale that it was a typical 'Dorth' family argument and it got a wee bit out of hand (cannons and such), eventually.
I suppose I do use some American expressions, but this probably comes for having worked with them for many years. But then I do drop in the occasional lackaday forsooth just to confuse people 8)
Oh yes - our family name is Scottish. Myself, little brother and a cousin came over to Stirling in September 1997 to celebrate the 700th anniversary of the battle of Stirling Bridge. Our relatives were there for the original battle. And they refused to hand back a city to a Scottish king who had asked them to look after it while he was busy elsewhere... It is quite funny to look up your family names (both are Scottish) and discover one is reasonably respectable and the entry for the other starts with 'Notorious border raiders and cattle thieves...'. Blame William the Conqueror - he was having an invasion and asked our lot to come along as he heard they were filthy and always up for a good fight.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dont forget Doire..one place soo many names! Getting back to the topc though great mini's dude! Keep the videos coming and your gaming board is awesome! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well I'm glad we've got that sorted out (I'm fairly ignorant to the finer details of the last few hundred years of Anglo-Irish and inter Irish relations but I do enjoy winding up an 'Irish' family friend by poking him with the 'but you are technically British' stick. I have nearly finished my high elf archers thanks to DMS's advise so will get pic's/vid's up shortly.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:31 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The elves look great. I think your highlighting has really improved. I agree the conversion doesn't look quite right. From what I can see I think the arms are bent at the elbows quite a lot and this isn't a realistic pose. However, it's a great first attempt and cool idea. Looking forward to seeing more of your painting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next