All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:35 pm

Post subject: New Hobbit Info
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Given that today we got loads of new hobbit stuff and we can expect more over the coming weeks I thought I should set up somewhere we could talk about it so some suggestions:

The super high quality pics, nice and engrossing or will it like 3d maybe just be distracting
Radagast -great representation of a cooky wizzard or just too weird he is an Istari not a hippy
The humour in the trailer, ruining the original or a great addition like the Gimli - legolas bromance in LOTR
What the hell is that block of ice in the trailer I'm assuming it's not a frezzer for Elrond's beer

feel freed to add anything else you want to talk about :)
 Post subject: Re: New Hobbit Info
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I thought it looked more childish that the LotR trilogy, but The Hobbit is actually meant to be for kids ::) I think it was a very nice trailer and I much prefer it over the previous one. I don't recall Elrond meeting with Thorin though and it's kinda weird seeing Radagast having a sled pulled by critters. Lol at least the fake release list had some insight after all!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

it is a great trailer

They do all go to Rivendell in the book and in terms of the film it would make sense that they would have a chat with Elrond for a number of reasons first it is a good way to link the Dol Guldur and Thorin story together, second Elrond is supposed to be wise it would make sense that even a dwarf would respect his council and third it may be a clever way of suggesting Thorin is a little too involved and interested in regaining Erebor which helps to explain why he goes of the rails a bit later in the book.

Really don't like the Radagast character he's just too weird I always envisioned him as an absent Istari but not a completely mental one, I always like the view that he was sent by the Valar of nature and animals so was actually doing what he was sent to middle earth to do and that he was the one that sent Gwahir (or however you spell it) to help Gandalf when he was in Orthanc

The fake list was well researched and was always going to be fairly accurate e.g. we know all the characters that were going to be in it and it was released after the rumour that Radagast was going to have a 'bunny sled'
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Radagast's mission was to help in the struggle against Sauron not to attend over the fauna and the flora of Middle-Earth and consequently he was thought to have failed the mission appointed to him by the the Valar.
What I meant was that Elrond didn't meet Thorin in something that looks like a blue mountain...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Constantine wrote:
I thought it looked more childish that the LotR trilogy, but The Hobbit is actually meant to be for kids ::) I think it was a very nice trailer and I much prefer it over the previous one. I don't recall Elrond meeting with Thorin though and it's kinda weird seeing Radagast having a sled pulled by critters. Lol at least the fake release list had some insight after all!

Yeah, some of it looks childish, but hopefully the extended story, eg. Dol Guldur, will give it a dark tint. It does make you reconsider the list too, though Radagast look really, really, really weird. Still Maiar talk strage forms....

:boromir
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:12 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Constantine wrote:
What I meant was that Elrond didn't meet Thorin in something that looks like a blue mountain...

I think they were on the cliffs above Rivendell...surely Rivendell made use of the mountain walls and had internal passages. IIRC (because I don't have a copy of the Hobbit handy), Elrond, Thorin and co were outside at dusk, and there were special runes on the map that were only revealed by the light at a special time of year, or the moon, or...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

ElfGeneral wrote:
What the hell is that block of ice in the trailer I'm assuming it's not a frezzer for Elrond's beer

My guess is.... mithril

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

There's one shot of gandalf in a burning pine tree at the end, and a couple of quick shots of wolves/wargs running, so my conclusion is that it looks like the movie will end when they are all stuck in the burning trees surrounded by wolves, right before the eagles come.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The wargs look much more wolf like than the ones in the LotR films. I'm rather pleased, the old wargs look weird.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

DomyHill wrote:
The wargs look much more wolf like than the ones in the LotR films. I'm rather pleased, the old wargs look weird.

They looked more like hyena's to me. I thought they were fine, but didn't look like wolves. And I'm fine with having the distinction between wolves and wargs. Having the goblins have wolves with them is better imho, as the wargs could be like wolves that saruman selectively bred.....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:26 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

theavenger001 wrote:
There's one shot of gandalf in a burning pine tree at the end, and a couple of quick shots of wolves/wargs running, so my conclusion is that it looks like the movie will end when they are all stuck in the burning trees surrounded by wolves, right before the eagles come.

I hope not! You think it's bad to wait a couple of months between seasons of a TV show for the resolution of a cliffhanger, a whole year is brutal! Plus, that was quite early in the book, was it not?

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:30 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That was close to the halfway, I think - I also don't have my copy of The Hobbit at hand.

Honestly, I still think that Thorin looks too much like a TOS Klingon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:50 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

And sounds too much like Boromir.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like how the trailer shows a lighter feel much like The Hobbit book has compared to LOTR and I cannot wait to see more of Radagast!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

mmm... i love the smell of CGI in the morning...

nice trailer though
the only part i dont really like is how it depicts the heroes running all the way there :?

as for the block of ice... the arkenstone maybe somehow?

we can only wait and see what the hobbit brings :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The incoporation of humour may seem 'childish' but the book was alot more childish than LOTR, so we can expect that. I'm still not sure about Radagast, i'll see how he is in the film. I don't mind the differences between the wolves and the wargs. I'll assume that the southern wargs just look a bit different than the northern wargs, just like how dogs look different. And I Like the wolves looking alot more 'winter' like and the wargs more southern.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:22 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The crystal in Rivendell cannot be the Arkenstone as it was small enough for Bilbo to carry concealed. Rivendell is a gorge set into the foothills of the Misty mountains so of course there are cliffs and waterfalls, and big lumps of quartz are common enough in granitic mountains.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:43 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
as for the block of ice... the arkenstone maybe somehow?

:shock:
I think it may be a holographic depiction of the secret of the "moon letters" possibly on the Rivendell version of a magic mirror. I think it may be the Lonely Mountain.

Quote:
'childish'

Lighten up Guys the Hobbit is a children's book.

Sticky Fingersss
Quote:
I'm still not sure about Radagast

It seems out of the blue to me...but it looks like it may work :roll:

Quote:
theOneRider » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:30 am
That was close to the halfway, I think - I also don't have my copy of The Hobbit at hand.

1/3?
Quote:
Honestly, I still think that Thorin looks too much like a TOS Klingon.
8) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lord Hurin wrote:
theavenger001 wrote:

I hope not! You think it's bad to wait a couple of months between seasons of a TV show for the resolution of a cliffhanger, a whole year is brutal! Plus, that was quite early in the book, was it not?

It has already been confirmed that this is where the first film will end: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/09 ... the-break/
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ending with Fifteen Birds is a fine place for a cliff hanger. Maybe even before the eagle show up at all...just when they're chased up and set fire. But the US audience doesn't have good apatite for such things. Probably have the rescue and the flight over the Anduin and drop them off on the edge of Beorn's land.

I am wondering if the story of Gandalf's visit to Dol Guldur will be at the very beginning of the film or told in flashback between when he gives the map and key to Thorin and some conversations in Rivendell. I can see it being in the beginning to really suck you in, but then you would loose reference to one of the greatest openings any book has ever had...

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."

http://TacticsInMiniature.com