All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:20 am

Post subject: Painting Moria Goblins
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi,
I am completely new to this, but have bought the starter pack with 12 Moria Goblins. I really want to do atleast a decent paintjob. I have Devlin Mud (wash), undercoat black, Khemri brown, gretchin green, mechrite red (foundation), codex grey, scorched brown, chainmail (colour). it seems every website ive tried to find instructions on say i will need to drybrush to get a good effect. will i need to buy diffent paints and could anybody give me a rough outline on how to apply them.
Thanks , Tel.
 Post subject: Re: Painting Moria Goblins
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hi and welcome to the One Ring. Moria Goblins huh?

Ok first of all paint your Goblin Black.

Next you need to drybrush the armour. First up the paints you have there will work fine for drybrushing. A drybrush is a type of brush available from GW as well as other hobby suppliers. Once you have bought a drybrush this is the technique to use it.

The best colour to use as a base for the goblin armour is leadbelcher tho if you don't have this chainmail will work fine. Dip the tip of your drybrush in the chainmail and then wipe the brush on your hand or scrap paper until there is hardly any paint coming off the brush as you are wiping it. Brush the chainmail on the metal sections of the painted black goblin - metal sections like sword,shield, armour , helmet etc. The drybrush will pick out the higher edges of the model nicely.

Once you are happy with the metal take a fine detail brush and paint carefully around the metal areas with black again - tidying up a bit round the drybrushed areas as drybrushing can be quite messy, if your going to ue the drybrush technique on a model it is best to do it straight away so you don't mess up any off the pintwork you have already done on the model.

Paint the Goblins clothing with Mechrite Red.

Paint the Goblins skin with gretchin green. If you are painting a spearmen paint the spear brown at this point. Paint cloth on the boots and the gloves brown.

Give the entire model a wash of the Devlin mud wash. Dip your rush into the wash and just apply it liberally over the whole model.

Once the ash has dried yu can highlight the model by using the colours you used in the earlier steps and just highlighting the moset raised areas of the model. For instance when highlighting a face take your gretchin green and paint a little on the forehead of the goblin , the ridge of the nose, the cheekbones . just under the nose and the chin. When highlighting the armour try to highlight it with you chainmail paint but this time just paint it on with your fine detail brush using the drybrushing you did in the first step as a guide as to where the lighter parts of the armour should be.

Once you are finished highlighting make a mix of about 75% water and 25% devlin mud and again paint it over the whole miniature.

Hope this helps you out and have fun thats what its all about!!!

If you need any further hep or have any more questions just ask, or you can send me a pm. Lot of extremely good painters round here that are always happy to help.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you so much for your reply. i have been trying to get an answer for hours! Cheers
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

froglicker1 wrote:
Thank you so much for your reply. i have been trying to get an answer for hours! Cheers

"hours"...how the paradigm has shifted. My early days of RPG/wargamming it would take days just for your message to spread through the FidoNet, much less get a reply. :rofl:

The above is an awesome write up. Goblins are a great starter force for painting because you can crank out a lot very quick and get going. A few basic colors and you're set.

My only deviation from that is I prefer to paint as if dressing. Skin first, then inner cloths, then armor and finally any covering cloaks and gear. For myself I have a harder time painting the parts of faces that show under the helm without messing up the helm. I drybrush with a very dry brush ( :lol: ) and don't usually have over-brush issues and can be very accurate. For me it's just a safer technique. You should try both and see what works best.

Patience is the key though. Don't rush your models. Small amounts of paint and more coats are better than one-coat coverage in most cases since the LotR models have such nice detail but it's easily lost. And drybrushing and the Devlin Mud wash will each do wonders for you when you get them worked out.

Be sure you clear all mold lines and extra plastic off before getting started. Nothing is more frustrating than to have a good paint job and realize you have an unnatural straight line running down an arm or over a helmet. :-X

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

drybrush the leadbelcher straight over the black basecoat then wash with devlin mud. Once dry drybrush gently with chainmail.

I have merged your 2 "Painting Moria Goblins" threads together. If you need any further help just ask in this thread and someone will be more than happy to help you out.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk